WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Honestly I hope the ultra doesn't come out at $1200 like people are suggesting, WiiM has a segment essentially to themselves making cheaper products that rival their higher end cousins. I want to see more of this from the ultra.

If I wanted to spend $$$ I'd of just bought the eversolo

The WiiM here, a Pro, has only the job to give access to Tidal. Does it perfectly for more or less no money. Sound defining parts are done after that. Starting with a coax cable from Pro into a DAC.
A price above 1.200 for me would counteract WiiMs so successful way.
End of song: Every user has own singular and sometimes even adventurous wishes. Comparing with much more expensive devices. Dreaming to have it for less than the competition asks. Not a little less. Much less. Counting simply together prices for chips and "a few lines coding". Not to think over engineering. "Only few steps needed." Nonsense.
Already today WiiM gives a good choice of answers for variable usage with a variety of devices. They are a busy company. So answers will be given. Surely not everyone will be satisfied.

At last. Apple Music integration could make me thinking new. Nice to have. Apple could get away from headphones only here. Nice but for me not really important. No quick solution in sight.

Do you think Wiim are aiming the Ultra at the ultra niche Eversolo audiophile market? Or if we take emotion out of it, and apply some commercial logic, do you rather suspect they are aiming at a much larger and more profitable customer base?

Considering what stupendous value their other products are, I am expecting a “maxed out” Ultra for close to Wiim Amp money. Probably the most important feature the Ultra will have is HDMI ARC as it solves the integration issue for what will be their main customers, I.e. not audiophiles with dedicated listening rooms, but multi-use rooms with TVs.

The absolute top price will be $450 and that will only be the case if they push the boat out in the aesthetics and material quality.

I hope they make a matching power amp in the future. 200wpc and load independent for $300.
I agree but I'll permit them to charge up to $600!

Also I'd like the form factor of the Ultra, width and depth , to match the amp and if they were to produce a power amp to compliment the Ultra , the same form factor. so they can be neatly stacked.

Maybe it's time for someone to start a new thread.
@Brantome , Do we need a thread with a title like this?
(I don't dare to proceed without your approval.)

"Fantasy of WiiM Ultra ~Prediction~"

😁😁😁

Hi Team,

We're thrilled to extend our heartfelt thanks to the community for your invaluable input on the forthcoming WiiM Ultra. In terms of design and construction, it closely mirrors the esteemed WiiM Amp, maintaining the family resemblance with finesse.

A standout feature of the WiiM Ultra is its touch screen, equipped with a custom UI that empowers you to access up to 80% of the app's functionality directly on the device itself—redefining convenience.

We've poured our efforts into ensuring the WiiM Ultra sets a new benchmark for sound quality and aesthetics, all while being positioned as the most economically accessible option in its class. Stay tuned for an audio experience that promises to be unparalleled.

Hi Team,

We're thrilled to extend our heartfelt thanks to the community for your invaluable input on the forthcoming WiiM Ultra. In terms of design and construction, it closely mirrors the esteemed WiiM Amp, maintaining the family resemblance with finesse.

A standout feature of the WiiM Ultra is its touch screen, equipped with a custom UI that empowers you to access up to 80% of the app's functionality directly on the device itself—redefining convenience.

We've poured our efforts into ensuring the WiiM Ultra sets a new benchmark for sound quality and aesthetics, all while being positioned as the most economically accessible option in its class. Stay tuned for an audio experience that promises to be unparalleled.
Any mockup images like we had for the Amp, almost a full four months before its release? And the latest spec/DAC etc? Just thought I’d ask before the hordes pitch in 🤣

Any mockup images like we had for the Amp, almost a full four months before its release? And the latest spec/DAC etc? Just thought I’d ask before the hordes pitch in 🤣
Why 4? As I remember release was planned on Q2. So 1,5 - 4 month left?

Do you think Wiim are aiming the Ultra at the ultra niche Eversolo audiophile market? Or if we take emotion out of it, and apply some commercial logic, do you rather suspect they are aiming at a much larger and more profitable customer base?

Considering what stupendous value their other products are, I am expecting a “maxed out” Ultra for close to Wiim Amp money. Probably the most important feature the Ultra will have is HDMI ARC as it solves the integration issue for what will be their main customers, I.e. not audiophiles with dedicated listening rooms, but multi-use rooms with TVs.

The absolute top price will be $450 and that will only be the case if they push the boat out in the aesthetics and material quality.

I hope they make a matching power amp in the future. 200wpc and load independent for $300.

I'm thinking more like WiiM engineers to a price point and certainly provides high value. I'd like to see price point become a noticably distant secondary consideration for their top tier. I also think it's possible to spend, say, $1,000 and still get something of remarkably high value that isn't just case cosmetics. If they can compete with components costing 3x-5x the money at $200, what can they do when they let loose? Since they already have several high volume priced offerings, this time I'd like something closer to "this is the best streamimg DAC we know how to make" rather than a device that suggests "we didn't think many of you would be up for spending more than $350". Nobody is anti-value.

Why 4? As I remember release was planned on Q2. So 1,5 - 4 month left?
I was referring to the WiiM Amp, mock-ups of which we saw at the start of Aug ‘23, with its eventual release 4 months later in Dec‘23. See this original post in Thread 'WiiM Amp'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-amp.1322/

As for the Ultra, as I’ve already commented a few times, I’m guessing Jun/Jul i.e. the end of Q2‘24, but happy to be proved wrong.

I'm thinking more like WiiM engineers to a price point and certainly provides high value. I'd like to see price point become a noticably distant secondary consideration for their top tier. I also think it's possible to spend, say, $1,000 and still get something of remarkably high value that isn't just case cosmetics. If they can compete with components costing 3x-5x the money at $200, what can they do when they let loose? Since they already have several high volume priced offerings, this time I'd like something closer to "this is the best streamimg DAC we know how to make" rather than a device that suggests "we didn't think many of you would be up for spending more than $350". Nobody is anti-value.

Well, that clearly was off target.

I’m not up for that, for the simply reason that WiiM can do the same, if not better, for a lot less.

What is it on the Eversolo that you think won’t be on the Ultra?

Does the Eversolo have room correction? Does the Eversolo have PEQ? Does the Eversolo have a subwoofer out?
Many of those gear are just overprice and they don’t produce many units like mass market brand. Also, many expensive gear has great hardware but only to be let down by their software. Wiim on the other hand, can turn a tiny device into power house with their one of a kind skills and knowledge on software.

Many of those gear are just overprice and they don’t produce many units like mass market brand. Also, many expensive gear has great hardware but only to be let down by their software. Wiim on the other hand, can turn a tiny device into power house with their one of a kind skills and knowledge on software.
Yes Wiim's App is the best I've used compared to Denon/Marantz Heos, Yamaha's Music Cast, Sonus and Alexa.

L
Why would they do that when comment #715 above acknowledges it’s one of their devices’ selling points?

Will allow people to use own plugins.

Like LMS.

Plus with own APK if it doesn't work on specific android os you are stuck. People could write own control app like LMS material skin

The same reason why I didn't buy sonos and same reason why LMS worked years after official app stopped working and even now it's supported by open source coders

L

Will allow people to use own plugins.

Like LMS.

Plus with own APK if it doesn't work on specific android os you are stuck. People could write own control app like LMS material skin

The same reason why I didn't buy sonos and same reason why LMS worked years after official app stopped working and even now it's supported by open source coders
LMS plugins are server side, not client based.

WiiM has both an http and a UPnP interface. Anyone can write their own controller app using one or the other. I’ve written several.

Back