WiiM without analogue inputs and outputs - Pure digital preamp

jed1

I use WiiM Pro Plus with an external DAC via toslink and connect the rest of my set up via balanced audio cables. My inputs are digital only. I like all the functionality of WiiM Pro Plus and don't use any of analogue parts. I rather would like to have a built-in high quality power supply and USB input / media server instead of analogue section. This kind of WiiM can be considered as digial pre-amp.
  • WiFi / Ethernet
  • COAX input
  • Toslink input
  • USB input - connected to either computer or USB memory
  • COAX output
  • Toslink output
  • USB output
What do you think?

Doesn’t the WiiM Ultra come close to that?

Doesn’t the WiiM Ultra come close to that?

There's certainly a partial overlap, but the OP was suggesting a purely digital box, without all the analog gubbins and fancy dressing.

It seems a lot of us would like a higher spec, metal cased unit without a screen that had some different options for configuration. I know I would. Along the lines of how a MacBook can be configured. I'd like BNC, AES/EBU, HDMI ARC & I2S inputs / outputs. I prefer AKM chips, others ESS and still others don't want any DAC. Galvanically isolated USB inputs seems to make most folks happy. A high quality internal power supply that could be bypassed with an even better external one probably wouldn't get many complaints. Looks like WiiM already has the case that was on display in Munich:
IMG_20240510_103355-scaled.jpg

It seems a lot of us would like a higher spec, metal cased unit without a screen that had some different options for configuration. I know I would. Along the lines of how a MacBook can be configured. I'd like BNC, AES/EBU, HDMI ARC & I2S inputs / outputs. I prefer AKM chips, others ESS and still others don't want any DAC. Galvanically isolated USB inputs seems to make most folks happy. A high quality internal power supply that could be bypassed with an even better external one probably wouldn't get many complaints. Looks like WiiM already has the case that was on display in Munich:
View attachment 7339
That's the case for their CI versions of the current range only available for the custom installation market.

I think it’d be great if a future WiiM had a cracking ADC section. So far it looks like it’s just been ‘adequate’, almost an afterthought.

I think it’d be great if a future WiiM had a cracking ADC section. So far it looks like it’s just been ‘adequate’, almost an afterthought.

Most people wouldn't use ADC function. What's the point? Degrades sound quality, if a source is analogue it should be kept analogue from source to speakers. I wouldn't be using analogue inputs.

Didn't we all go through all this wishful thinking already ? And all we got is the Ultra with all its extra bells and whistles.

Didn’t the ADC on the Pro Plus already measure well? And isn’t the ADC on the Amp and upcoming Ultra the same? What’s wrong with it then?

Most people wouldn't use ADC function. What's the point? Degrades sound quality, if a source is analogue it should be kept analogue from source to speakers. I wouldn't be using analogue inputs.
My Linn MDSM/4 digitises its analogue input, even if being fed an LP12. Lots of Linn users will be disappointed that their sound quality has been degraded - not…

Didn’t the ADC on the Pro Plus already measure well? And isn’t the ADC on the Amp and upcoming Ultra the same? What’s wrong with it then?

Noise level not bad, frequency response great, a bit of distortion.

You can buy standalone ADCs for under £200 which measure very well indeed.

My Linn MDSM/4 digitises its analogue input, even if being fed an LP12. Lots of Linn users will be disappointed that their sound quality has been degraded - not…

Whilst it’s clearly not pure audio, I think it’s become pretty clear over the past few years that the vinyl sound loved by vinyl fans is the distortion caused by the medium. Which is preserved, even when put through ADC, then DAC.

Of course, one solution is the option of either going through an ADC stage, or a ‘Pure Direct’ mode, where the signal goes straight to the amplification section.

It’d need an analogue volume control in there somewhere, though.

That's only you. Again.

I wouldn't be using a device that has analogue inputs but can apply RC and EQ for digital inputs, only.

That's only me (and maybe fellow ignoramuses like @Brantome). Again.

Back