8/31

Looks like Roon case again. If I remember correctly only AirPlay cast was announced as exclusive for the Pro family.
certainly want to leave "mimi-mini" alone .. there is the “pro” family to go further ;-)
on the other hand continue to improve debugging etc current functions..including now that it is effectively underway, the eq mode..in quality and functionalities
certainly work ahead
;-)

Of course, if there is difficulty in fitting even Squeezelite onto the Mini - which is usually a tiny installed client - then it implies there will be no future additional Mini features to speak of, or at least not without removing existing ones.

I find it hard to believe there will ever be an option to mix-and-match features through a choice of firmware. It must be incredibly unappealing to Linkplay to have to support multiple versions of the same software and, beyond people like ourselves with a keen interest in such things, I suspect it would simply confuse most of the buying public too.

Of course, if there is difficulty in fitting even Squeezelite onto the Mini - which is usually a tiny installed client - then it implies there will be no future additional Mini features to speak of, or at least not without removing existing ones.

I find it hard to believe there will ever be an option to mix-and-match features through a choice of firmware. It must be incredibly unappealing to Linkplay to have to support multiple versions of the same software and, beyond people like ourselves with a keen interest in such things, I suspect it would simply confuse most of the buying public too.
to read certain actors involved in this forum..the lms is a real " panacea " which will not necessarily allow you to "beat" with wiim home (which I can completely understand, free and powerful lms would, it seems to me, be in the very general public spirit of a small “mini”..) so maybe it's a shame to deprive non-users of Amazon??? ;-)))

Last edited:

A good few months ago when this was first mooted, it was suggested that Mini development could/should be frozen other than for bug fixing and minor cosmetic enhancement. Given its limited capacity compared to the Pro/Pro Plus and the plethora of features it already delivers, there’s a danger that introducing significant new features might limit the ability to fix any significant bugs thereby rendering the device unsupportable.

Even if alternative firmwares could be offered with different feature sets, you’d still get complaints that a particular combination of features wasn’t available for particular users, and I can’t imagine that swapping firmware versions to access different features would score many points in the usability stakes.

IMHO, it’s time to move on and laud the Mini for what it currently does - its current feature set will still satisfy a lot of users and potential customers, but if you want additional features over and above what the Mini offers, then you have the choice of the more capable Pro and Pro Plus.

Yeah, it’s a great shame that the Mini might not get Squeezelite, but hey, that’s life…

Memory / cpu / storage constraints are obvious but a communication still should be improved, especially with the past Roon case in mind. I've been surprised with a statement that squeezelite client is not going to the Mini like to the Pro. At a moment I would no longer recommend the Mini as its future is unclear to me.

I’m only going to say it’s disappointing if this is the case and note that the one service that LMS (and ROON) users are very unlikely to want is Amazon.

Yeah, it’s a great shame that the Mini might not get Squeezelite, but hey, that’s life…
I agree completely. Multiple firmwares seems messy, however as an LMS user who doesn't use Amazon Music, I wouldn't be totally against it! I imagine the proportion of passionate LMS users on this board isn't demonstrative of the wider Wiim user community and for sure Amazon would have wider community appeal for current owners and future sales of the mini.

It's just a little frustrating as an early adopter of the Mini. Before the Pro existed, Squeezelite support was promised as a feature for the Mini. This was also before Wiim clarified that upcoming features were not definite committments even if dates were stated. If I remember correctly, on very early roadmaps for the Mini, a date towards the end of '22 was explicitly declared for Squeezelite support. Quite foolishly, I rushed out and bought 4 of them before the Pro was released. I've learnt my lesson about purchasing based on upcoming features but something about Wiim's messaging and community engagement was more reassuring than most brands. I still feel this way despite their inaccurate early promises.

The recent noise about potential Squeezelite support for the Mini was a bit of a tease so whilst not getting as excited as 12 months ago, it's still a little disappointing. But if there are insurmountable technical hurdles, well c'est la vie. The Mini is still a great device, I've had good success with the UpnP bridge with LMS and other household members and visitors have been able to use its numerous other features.

I definitely want to use LMS via Squeezelite AND native Amazon music support!
Me too, and I will on my Pro. It looks like the Mini with its host of services isn’t up to taking on significant new features like Roon and Squeezelite. It’s already amazing what it delivers for the money...

Me too, and I will on my Pro. It looks like the Mini with its host of services isn’t up to taking on significant new features like Roon and Squeezelite. It’s already amazing what it delivers for the money...
So when they decide on a color for the new WiiM Amp, we shouldn't expect a firmware update to change the color of our mini's to match?

Seriously, we can't expect the lower tier models to keep up with the more expensive ones. Also, I bought into the WiiMs and they do work as expected. I had some issues at the beginning, and then the one where part of the first note of a song was cut off. I was still happy, but thought maybe I needed as expensive brand for my main stereo, but WiiM acknowledged the issue and fixed it. The WiiM system in my house works GREAT.

Things are so good that many of us are buying into the LMS and Material skin integration and there are some bugs and issues. WiiM has delivered on their multi-room product. I hope they don't take offense to our wish to better make it work with LMS. It seems that with the new Squeezelite firmware they agree and are trying. I don't think WiiM is obligated to do this but I am glad they are!

I wonder if you could fit squeezelite on the mini if you removed the music services (Qobuz, Tidal, RP) that already integrate with LMS instead of Amazon (which doesn’t). If LMS support was selected in the default firmware’s music services screen, couldn’t a flag be set that would then load the alternate firmware. Turning off LMS support would re-load the default firmware. ? It would be nice to think we could have both new features and bug fixes instead of just picking one.😁

Last edited:
Neither have I or anybody else, my point is that it is not even finished and released but already advertised as such. They are not wasting time with it. :) To me it was a decisive feature to purchase mine!

Although my LMS doesn't see my Plus so not so sure about squeezelite...

Back