An unimaginable torture: Ultra or Amp Pro

Sorry, I presume you mean by ‘control’ and ‘separate DAC chip’ you’re talking about bass management, etc., in the DAC that’s IN the Ultra.

By ‘separate DAC chip’ I presumed onlyoneme was referring to any external DAC.

Last edited:
Now that the Wiim Amp pro is launched, I am beginning to wonder if I should sell my Wiim Ultra (and two Fosi V3 Monos) and buy the Amp Pro instead.

My reasons being:
  1. Phono stage
    The big difference for med with choosing the Ultra over Amp Pro was initially the Phono input in the Ultra. However, as it turns out I use line in for vinyl, since I have chosen to go with the phono stage in my Denon dp-40 over the Ultra's. So that reason is gone (although I do use the earthing, which I don't know if even works with line in).
  2. Screen
    My Ultra is placed right next to my tv, too far from my listening position to really be of use, but close enough to distract me when I watch tv (connected through HDMI Arc) so I have recently shut the screen off altogether. In addition, I use my apple tv to display album art when playing music from Spotify (Airplay picture to Apple tv/audio through Wiim Ultra). So screen is not a reason either
  3. Power
    I realize that I get more power with my V3 Monos, but I am not sure if all that power is really needed, or even used. I seldomly listen at loud levels although I do listen to a lot of music (currently from Spotify Connect and Youtube, considering Tidal). This, I guess is the question I need answered - Am I benefitting from my current setup, or would I be better served with the Amp Pro? I do value the clean look of just having a single device do everything. On the other hand any audible benefits also matter. I should state that my connected speakers are Dali Oberon 5's on each side og the tv and an Argon Sub S850 tugged away behind the couch.
🤔

The overall rating over on ASR puts the Amp Pro on par with the v3 Monos:

Power
I realize that I get more power with my V3 Monos, but I am not sure if all that power is really needed, or even used. I seldomly listen at loud levels although I do listen to a lot of music (currently from Spotify Connect and Youtube, considering Tidal). This, I guess is the question I need answered - Am I benefitting from my current setup, or would I be better served with the Amp Pro? I do value the clean look of just having a single device do everything. On the other hand any audible benefits also matter. I should state that my connected speakers are Dali Oberon 5's on each side og the tv and an Argon Sub S850 tugged away behind the couch.
🤔
Power is deceptive, I have some 40w amps from the past that go louder than 120w amps from 2024. If it sounds nice, and goes loud enough without sounding worse, it has enough power.

Now that the Wiim Amp pro is launched, I am beginning to wonder if I should sell my Wiim Ultra (and two Fosi V3 Monos) and buy the Amp Pro instead.

My reasons being:
  1. Phono stage
    The big difference for med with choosing the Ultra over Amp Pro was initially the Phono input in the Ultra. However, as it turns out I use line in for vinyl, since I have chosen to go with the phono stage in my Denon dp-40 over the Ultra's. So that reason is gone (although I do use the earthing, which I don't know if even works with line in).
  2. Screen
    My Ultra is placed right next to my tv, too far from my listening position to really be of use, but close enough to distract me when I watch tv (connected through HDMI Arc) so I have recently shut the screen off altogether. In addition, I use my apple tv to display album art when playing music from Spotify (Airplay picture to Apple tv/audio through Wiim Ultra). So screen is not a reason either
  3. Power
🤔
FYI the Pro was reviewed yesterday over at Audio Science Review. The Ultra review is in the works.

Back