Anyway to control Pro Plus from Android phone/tablets, etc without home WiFi turned on?

OK, I understood. Thank you.
But in that case, I think it's easier to connect the phone to a USB DAC. 🤔
But the phone would be on wifi, surely.... ;)

So, potentially moving away from android (requiring wifi) maybe:
- use the laptop, connected to ethernet I assume, to control the wiim via the windows wiim app - I understand it's a bit basic compared to the android app, but I can't comment on how basic as I've never used it.
- connect laptop to wiim optical, run qobuz etc. on the laptop

As for the wife's tablet - surely that's on wifi? What use is a tablet otherwise??

Turn on Wi-Fi temporarily, then download songs from Qobuz. After that, turn off Wi-Fi for offline playback. (Or use cellular data.)

You don't need WiiM. 🙂

But the OP doesn't seem to want this way.

I have to get some rest and then go back over all this, I am just now getting over a very nasty bug, 3 weeks, 5 days in bed the first week...so not at my best cognitively at the moment. I will be up on the roof in as soon as warm enough tomorrow so might not have much energy or again, cognizance, when done so it might be a few days as working on our place just has to get done no matter how hard it is on me.

I do love jumping around on Qobuz and finding new music and the WiiM does sound much better than going through the laptop then to a DAC and audio system so I want to keep using it.

I very much appreciated your inputs, thank you very much:)
Rick

I only have a wired network, just one computer, one TV which is rarely on and has no monitoring capabilities(as in watching us, listening in) The Wiim, etc, I suppose I will hook my wife's laptop eventually when I finish her desk but she might not ever turn it on since she is happy using her tablet. Not one single smart device in our home that is enabled.
You know the Wiim has a microphone too.

You know the Wiim has a microphone too.
Stop it! :ROFLMAO:

From wiim:
"Regarding the built-in microphone, please be aware that we use it exclusively for the auto-measurement of the audio path latency. We do not utilize it for any other purpose."

Stop it! :ROFLMAO:

From wiim:
"Regarding the built-in microphone, please be aware that we use it exclusively for the auto-measurement of the audio path latency. We do not utilize it for any other purpose."
Yeah, let’s not go down that route :(

AlexaCast needs wifi and internet access
Internet access of course is necessary, WiFi is not necessary.
With a smartphone with internet access via SIM card, I can stream to my wired Wiim Pro Plus using the Amazon music app with WiFi turned off.

re the ethernet to usb adapter, I can see that working for a computer (same as using a hub/dock with hdmi, vga, usb and ethernet connections that has a single usb c connection to a computer), but I'm really not sure that plugging one in to the usb socket in a phone/tablet will give the device internet access.
Yes, I've tried and it works.

We are in a dead zone for cell service here, sometimes cannot call out or receive but usually just during a big storm, cannot sent out or receiver pics unless tiny file size, anytime. That and not wanting a strong WiFi signal in our home I want to just run ethernet to the WiiM and the simplest way to control it using an Android device, looking at a new few years old Samsung Tab A7, etc, seems would be more than enough to handle it and Qobuz app works in landscape mode, tested on my wife's 10" Tab. I just want a tab sitting on my desk full time for just the WiiM, wired to the network would be great. I will setup my wife's Tab for her to use on occasion but mostly she just uses it with a BT speaker since on the other end of the RV, 40 ft away.

Did not get as much done on the remodel today, designing ducts to run a custom evap into the ductwork from the removed AC units, evap mounted on front of the RV on a new wall with overhang to cover it. Then the washer broke so I had to sort that out and order a new water pump for it.

Have a great new week!
Rick

I am going to run an ethernet cable from behind my desk on the rear wall of the RV, looking out a 6x4.5ft Anderson dual casement window, where the switch is along with all the rest of our entertainment gear is located to the front where the bedroom is so she can plug in her tab with an adapter cable. She is either cooking, cleaning, making jewelry or in bed reading most of the day, on her feet most hours making us incredible food which also keeps us both very trim, the food and on our feet or working on projects.
Once done we will have a very high end sounding but very reasonable cost audio/video system, Ekhornes ($7,000 new, bought barely used for $700) triple recliner couch facing it, but seldom sit down and watch anything or listen to music, too busy for such things but want it great for when we use it. Most of the time will be playing our Martin Logan Vision X sound bar which is dang fine, paid $225 on craigslist for a $1700 sound bar:) At times we will be soaking in the 30x60 freestanding oval tub I installed, got the biggest one I could find so we can both fit, listen to some good music, glass of wine, candles....installed an excellent Takagi condensing on demand water heater, 94% efficient, barely any heat out the ABS exhaust.

I am going to run an ethernet cable from behind my desk on the rear wall of the RV, looking out a 6x4.5ft Anderson dual casement window, where the switch is along with all the rest of our entertainment gear is located to the front where the bedroom is so she can plug in her tab with an adapter cable. She is either cooking, cleaning, making jewelry or in bed reading most of the day, on her feet most hours making us incredible food which also keeps us both very trim, the food and on our feet or working on projects.
Once done we will have a very high end sounding but very reasonable cost audio/video system, Ekhornes ($7,000 new, bought barely used for $700) triple recliner couch facing it, but seldom sit down and watch anything or listen to music, too busy for such things but want it great for when we use it. Most of the time will be playing our Martin Logan Vision X sound bar which is dang fine, paid $225 on craigslist for a $1700 sound bar:) At times we will be soaking in the 30x60 freestanding oval tub I installed, got the biggest one I could find so we can both fit, listen to some good music, glass of wine, candles....installed an excellent Takagi condensing on demand water heater, 94% efficient, barely any heat out the ABS exhaust.
Sounds fantastic. Do you rent it out? I could do with a holiday! :ROFLMAO:
Good luck getting it all plumbed in and working the way you want.

It has been a live in disaster for a few years, hopefully by fall next year it will finally be done, still have a lot of cabinets and shelves to build, add 1.5 high grade foam insulation then seal it all with foil then wood panels, cork floor to put down, tear out the ceiling and super insulate it, already added 2" foam on top, took off almost all roof mounted items, next up metal roof. The design and build a super clean burning just right size wood burning stove/oven/cooktop....then a super insulated shed/shop with grow loft to start garden plants. We fell in love with where we live so stopped traveling around and waiting for houses to go down again but got so used to the RV just do not want a house, making this the end game for the rest of our lives. No RV appliances left, just two furnaces and I am looking into a small 96% effecient propane furnace to preplace them with.

We have a 1959 Boles Aero we bought to restore if we ever go traveling again, it sustained snow damage so much harder to fix up now with a caved in roof, might just sell it off.

I have replumbed 90% of this place, rewired at least half, all new windows, doors, added second door, Anderson french door, when done very little of the original will be in place, mainly the chassis but that is why we bought it, best one ever made as far as I have learned in years of searching.

I had just come down off the roof, up a ladder or on the roof all day in a T shirt, 50 degrees and sunny, great day! Just finishing up custom duct mods to use a modified wall mount evap cooler into the factory AC ducts, insulating and ready to sheath and add roof underlayment in the AM. I have a new front wall and side wall mods to insulate, sheath and wrap with Tyvek then will start on the metal roofing in two days or so depending on the weather. I love doing this stuff, especially outdoors.

Back