Beta Test: Room Correction for Android

@WiiM Support, @WiiM Team

So, I have the app version 2.10.9.240801.3aafaf installed (Android).

When I do a correction run but have the EQ switched on, it seems, that the test recording gets done against the equalized speaker.

Another problem: our hearing degrades, over the time, mostly in the higher frequencies. I am 54 and my last hearing test resulted in frequencies above 4k to come with a loss of over 20dB-40dB. Naturally, I use EQ to compensate, at least a little bit, for this. When I am doing an RC, the RC automatically fills all EQ slots within the configured frequency range and I have no slots free for my own, manual, settings (I do this from 4k to 15k). The only way to do this, is to correct over the whole range. But then the range between 40 and 400, where the most modes seem to happen, gets barely touched by the auto. What is the limiting factor for the EQ bands? CPU power or RAM?

Also, do you plan supporting the Dayton Audio iMM-6C measuring microphone?
I don't see this as a big deal. I limit EQ to 40-250hz then modify one of the ten slots with minor adjustments to include my own EQ adjustment at 1430hz where I have a known speaker issue. Ten seconds of work

Are you trying to install the beta app for a particular reason?
Without reading the entire thread, yes assuming it was the process to join some form of beta testing per the OP. I have an android device and my 20 minutes of trying to carry out an RC test weren't exactly conclusive....

EDIT: a quick scan of various threads and seems that it's not in beta mode anyway, I appear to have full RC functionality on my S23 Ultra (app version 2.11.0.240805.873131 installed).
However, 20 minutes of testing and listening and I've got some very odd / inconsistent results. is this the thread the share them, or elsewhere?

Last edited:
Without reading the entire thread, yes assuming it was the process to join some form of beta testing per the OP. I have an android device and my 20 minutes of trying to carry out an RC test weren't exactly conclusive....

EDIT: a quick scan of various threads and seems that it's not in beta mode anyway, I appear to have full RC functionality on my S23 Ultra (app version 2.11.0.240805.873131 installed).
However, 20 minutes of testing and listening and I've got some very odd / inconsistent results. is this the thread the share them, or elsewhere?
Here.

Here's my initial test "results", using a Samsung S23 Ultra. I'm using a Wiim pro Plus which is doing the DAC conversion into a Yamaha with a sub out, which is a Wharfedale SW150. I did an initial manual profile some time ago using the same phone and Spectroid app, the bass shelf applied to the EQ offset by lifting the sub volume (guesswork / by ear). I knew the room was pretty poor just by it's odd shape with an uneven roof and dimensions.

Test 1 was unchanged settings for the sub from what I have been using in the original manual config, and threw up a huge node at 31Hz which I think I'd noticed in the manual sweep, but given it's low f I ignored it. This setting sounded just odd, like the speakers had been pushed together, almost mono.

Test 2 I changed the sub to a 75Hz crossover frequency (note this is changing the sub, not the main speakers, there is no variable sub filtering control on my amp) but I think the amp vol was too high and resulted in some distortion that might have skewed the results, either way it sounded horrible.

Test 3 reduced the volume of the sub and reduced the system volume, no audible bass distortion this time. Apart from the 47Hz spike, the <150Hz profile looks similar to the manual version I created minus the shelf. Sounds OK, slightly better than manual profile, maybe proving again that correct FR provides "detail"

Of course, there is the huge unknown of the mic in my Samsung, so going to install the app onto my wife's iphone and run the whole thing again, and see what we get. Somewhere i have a Dayton iMM-6 that i could try, but if i've read the threads correctly (scanned quickly) there is no way yet of using a cal file. I'm presuming however that the Dayton would be more accurate than the Samsung, but that's just a guess. I also didn't figure out how to get the Dayton working instead of the in-built mic, so yet to figure that part out too.

Attachments

• Original Manual.jpg
    Original Manual.jpg
    965.9 KB · Views: 18
  • test 1 sub 60Hz Vol 50%.jpg
    test 1 sub 60Hz Vol 50%.jpg
    974.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Test 2 sub 75Hz Vol 75%.jpg
    Test 2 sub 75Hz Vol 75%.jpg
    977 KB · Views: 8
  • Test 3 Sub 75Hz Vol 50%.jpg
    Test 3 Sub 75Hz Vol 50%.jpg
    982.9 KB · Views: 10
Here's my initial test "results", using a Samsung S23 Ultra. I'm using a Wiim pro Plus which is doing the DAC conversion into a Yamaha with a sub out, which is a Wharfedale SW150. I did an initial manual profile some time ago using the same phone and Spectroid app, the bass shelf applied to the EQ offset by lifting the sub volume (guesswork / by ear). I knew the room was pretty poor just by it's odd shape with an uneven roof and dimensions.

Test 1 was unchanged settings for the sub from what I have been using in the original manual config, and threw up a huge node at 31Hz which I think I'd noticed in the manual sweep, but given it's low f I ignored it. This setting sounded just odd, like the speakers had been pushed together, almost mono.

Test 2 I changed the sub to a 75Hz crossover frequency (note this is changing the sub, not the main speakers, there is no variable sub filtering control on my amp) but I think the amp vol was too high and resulted in some distortion that might have skewed the results, either way it sounded horrible.

Test 3 reduced the volume of the sub and reduced the system volume, no audible bass distortion this time. Apart from the 47Hz spike, the <150Hz profile looks similar to the manual version I created minus the shelf. Sounds OK, slightly better than manual profile, maybe proving again that correct FR provides "detail"

Of course, there is the huge unknown of the mic in my Samsung, so going to install the app onto my wife's iphone and run the whole thing again, and see what we get. Somewhere i have a Dayton iMM-6 that i could try, but if i've read the threads correctly (scanned quickly) there is no way yet of using a cal file. I'm presuming however that the Dayton would be more accurate than the Samsung, but that's just a guess. I also didn't figure out how to get the Dayton working instead of the in-built mic, so yet to figure that part out too.
For the team , see if you can get the Dayton working. Yes pretty safe to assume the Samsung isn't particularly accurate at lower bass frequencies. Neither is the iPhone it's just that the mics are consistent and therefore easier to account for in the app. That being said my Pixel mic isn't that far off the measurement using my Anthem mic.

For the team , see if you can get the Dayton working. Yes pretty safe to assume the Samsung isn't particularly accurate at lower bass frequencies. Neither is the iPhone it's just that the mics are consistent and therefore easier to account for in the app. That being said my Pixel mic isn't that far off the measurement using my Anthem mic.
Sure, that's my intention.

I've plugged my UMIK1 into my mogo G 9 plus, light is on, but where would select mic options be?

here are 4 rc done. first 2 are samsung s23 internal mic, last 2 are s23 Dayton imm6.
all done form a tripod exact same location and no difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240807_084339_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807_084339_WiiM Home.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240807_084330_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807_084330_WiiM Home.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240807_084313_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807_084313_WiiM Home.jpg
    821.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240807_084259_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807_084259_WiiM Home.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 17
I've plugged my UMIK1 into my mogo G 9 plus, light is on, but where would select mic options be?
There's no select option, it will use the external mic and indicate as such if the app recognizes it is there.

There's no select option, it will use the external mic and indicate as such if the app recognizes it is there.

ah right. I don't have a wiim haha. Just thought plug in Mic into a phone some kind of notifcation would come up that external mic is supported and driver added.

here are 4 rc done. first 2 are samsung s23 internal mic, last 2 are s23 Dayton imm6.
They look similar at low frequencies but what is the big reduction around 10kHz with the internal mic?

They look similar at low frequencies but what is the big reduction around 10kHz with the internal mic?
Phone mics are all over the place outside of the midrange. Thus:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240807-110116.png
    Screenshot_20240807-110116.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240807-112609.png
    Screenshot_20240807-112609.png
    183.6 KB · Views: 13
So I found the Dayton (phew) and immediately realised that there is no headphone / mic jack on the S23, so I used my Hidisz Martha DAC. I am assuming it replaced the built in mic for two reasons, firstly tapping it and tapping the phone mic using sound recorder, and secondly wildly different results from the onboard mic, and NOT what I was expecting. I have an old LG V30 that is used as a DAP that does have a jack, and for some reason it won't work with the Wiim app (see screenshot) It is working though with the LG because I tested it again with sound recorder.

I ran three identical tests with the Dayton / Martha / Samsung combo, and none are the same, they're all over the place! The Samsung onboard mic is much more consistent, but gives a different profile. I'm not sure if the external DAC is interfering here in some way that I haven't accounted for.

The LG inbuilt is closer to the Samsung profile but some odd upper midrange adjustments that sound weird, I removed the 4k filter and replaced it with a treble shelf to aid my ageing ears and it sounded OK.
I was really hoping that the V30+Dayton combo would give me the most reliably consistent results, but I have no idea why it wouldn't recognise the mic; I looked but couldn't see anything obvious in either the Wiim app or the phone settings. At this point my wife and the two dogs arrived home, the peace massively disturbed and unsuitable for any further testing. I'd welcome any suggestions on getting the Dayton to work with the V30 in the Wiim app whilst I also go and search for the answers.....

Attachments

• Dayton + Hidisz martha.jpg
    Dayton + Hidisz martha.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Dayton + martha 2.jpg
    Dayton + martha 2.jpg
    965.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Dayton + martha 3.jpg
    Dayton + martha 3.jpg
    961.9 KB · Views: 8
  • LG V30 inbuilt.jpg
    LG V30 inbuilt.jpg
    855 KB · Views: 10
  • LG V30 plus dayton error.png
    LG V30 plus dayton error.png
    432 KB · Views: 15
That's a reasonable correlation, way more so than my test results. How did you connect the Dayton to your S23?

So I found the Dayton (phew) and immediately realised that there is no headphone / mic jack on the S23, so I used my Hidisz Martha DAC. I am assuming it replaced the built in mic for two reasons, firstly tapping it and tapping the phone mic using sound recorder, and secondly wildly different results from the onboard mic, and NOT what I was expecting. I have an old LG V30 that is used as a DAP that does have a jack, and for some reason it won't work with the Wiim app (see screenshot) It is working though with the LG because I tested it again with sound recorder.

I ran three identical tests with the Dayton / Martha / Samsung combo, and none are the same, they're all over the place! The Samsung onboard mic is much more consistent, but gives a different profile. I'm not sure if the external DAC is interfering here in some way that I haven't accounted for.

The LG inbuilt is closer to the Samsung profile but some odd upper midrange adjustments that sound weird, I removed the 4k filter and replaced it with a treble shelf to aid my ageing ears and it sounded OK.
I was really hoping that the V30+Dayton combo would give me the most reliably consistent results, but I have no idea why it wouldn't recognise the mic; I looked but couldn't see anything obvious in either the Wiim app or the phone settings. At this point my wife and the two dogs arrived home, the peace massively disturbed and unsuitable for any further testing. I'd welcome any suggestions on getting the Dayton to work with the V30 in the Wiim app whilst I also go and search for the answers.....
Does the Hidisz Martha have an ADC for a microphone input?

As previously posted here, my LG V60 recognized IMM-6.

Looking at your error screen, it appears that the device or phone is offline. (I saw the same error the other day too.)

Please give it some time and try again or reboot the device.
1000000883.png

Does the Hidisz Martha have an ADC for a microphone input?
Not sure, easily checked. Schoolboy error!!

EDIT: Not sure. tried calling my wife using wired headset and it worked. Unplugged the headset and she can still hear my voice......

Last edited:
As previously posted here, my LG V60 recognized IMM-6.

Looking at your error screen, it appears that the device or phone is offline. (I saw the same error the other day too.)

Please give it some time and try again or reboot the device.
View attachment 10059
It's sim-less, so isn't connected to the cell network. It is connected to the wifi network though. Does RC need a cell connection??

It's sim-less, so isn't connected to the cell network. It is connected to the wifi network though. Does RC need a cell connection??
I think the location information is being sent while the RC is running (My phone shows an icon indicating that.); rebooting the WiiM device may resolve the error.

Back