Chromecast keeps disconnecting

seth_success

When streaming Sirius XM via Chromecast my Wiim Ultra keeps disconnecting. Anyone else had this issues?

When streaming Sirius XM via Chromecast my Wiim Ultra keeps disconnecting. Anyone else had this issues?
Yes, I’m also using it on qoboz, it stutter and takes long time before it start playing music after clicking the play button.

Same here. Lots of chromecast problems streaming from plexamp/plex: Stuttering, stopping, repeating,...at the moment it's unusable. Everything is converted to 48 too, using chromecast.

That doesn’t necessarily follow as we have no knowledge of which ChromeCast SDK that Google might now mandate for new developments on new hardware.
I’m just wondering why ultra did not use the same chromecast from previous wiim. Those works with no problem. Why replace it if ain’t broke?

I’m just wondering why ultra did not use the same chromecast from previous wiim. Those works with no problem. Why replace it if ain’t broke?
I don’t know if this hypothetical scenario might help.

Say you have hardware and had developed a code module to act as an interface between your hardware and Google’s Chromecast service, using a high level application programming interface (API) from Google’s recommended software development kit (SDK) at that point in time. Let’s call that SDK version 1.

You then bring out new hardware and its interface for whatever reason needs to interact with the Google Chromecast service in a different manner. So the dev team go to use that same API from SDK v1 only to find that Google no longer permit its use and now mandate SDK v2 which does things differently, necessitating them to redevelop the code module from the ground up.

The old code module on the old hardware still works as its runtime code accesses low level system calls that aren’t presented thru the API, but in order for the new code module on the new hardware to access those same system calls, they need to use the new v2 SDK.

Maybe a younger developer can explain it better than this old Fortran IV mainframe dinosaur ;)

Say you have hardware and had developed a code module to act as an interface between your hardware and Google’s Chromecast service, using a high level application programming interface (API) from Google’s recommended software development kit (SDK) at that point in time. Let’s call that SDK version 1.

You then bring out new hardware and its interface for whatever reason needs to interact with the Google Chromecast service in a different manner. So the dev team go to use that same API from SDK v1 only to find that Google no longer permit its use and now mandate SDK v2 which does things differently, necessitating them to redevelop the code module from the ground up.

The old code module on the old hardware still works as its runtime code accesses low level system calls that aren’t presented thru the API, but in order for the new code module on the new hardware to access those same system calls, they need to use the new v2 SDK.

Maybe a younger developer can explain it better than this old Fortran IV mainframe dinosaur ;)
Perhaps the questions was what does new chromecast bring to the table? Adding more code required more resource and computation which other people call bloatware that doesn’t bring anything new.

Perhaps the questions was what does new chromecast bring to the table? Adding more code required more resource and computation which other people call bloatware that doesn’t bring anything new.
No idea if it brings anything new, and I wasn’t suggesting that the Ultra has more code or computational requirements, merely that it might have to do something in a different manner. That doesn’t necessarily make it bloatware - on the contrary, the new code required might be more efficient than the old code.

But this is all supposition and heading off topic - all we can probably say is that changes were necessary and are underway.

Not too unlikely that the platform as a whole is not as mature yet, as the outgoing one. And third-party developers (like WiiM) might still be cutting their teeth on new features, new oddities, new everything.

Last edited:

That makes a lot of sense and likely close to reality.

WiiM knows that Google Cast is a key feature of their streamers and they will make it fully work on Ultra.

I had enough trouble with my Wiim Ultra and I returned it to Amazon yesterday. Without Airplay or stable Chromecast its utility is questionable as a streamer.
Like the rest of us using chromecast, we’re waiting for fix. I have all wiim but pro plus but this one has the most issue being reported on the forum.

I haven't received an answer to my feedback/ticket 3 days ago so I assume this is a known issue with @WiiM Team ?!
(As they don't answer tickets that are known issues)

I haven't received an answer to my feedback/ticket 3 days ago so I assume this is a known issue with @WiiM Team ?!
(As they don't answer tickets that are known issues)
That’s a reasonable assumption - for example, they could have sufficient info from your logs so don’t need to get back to you for further info. I’m sure they’re working on resolving all Chromecast issues on the Ultra.

A plexamp disaster sending via chromecast to wiim ultra repeats itself continuously, takes a while to start, disconnects... etc.

A plexamp disaster sending via chromecast to wiim ultra repeats itself continuously, takes a while to start, disconnects... etc.
Correct. They are working on a solution though with the plex team and castlite so we'll just have to be a bit more patient.

Is the problem only with Plex or also with the rest of the Chromecast launchers?

Is the problem only with Plex or also with the rest of the Chromecast launchers?
Chromecast from Deezer works fine here, but chromecasting from my screen also has issues. So I don't think it's only in combination with Plex.

Back