Crossover slope HP/LP on Wiim Amp

mrbejker

Does anyone know what is the crossover slope is on the highpass/lowpass filter on the Wiim Amp?
Of course different slopes like on a MiniDsp would be an great addition. But as long as its steep enough i would be pleased:)

24 dB per octave. 4th order LR.

See e.g. this measurement:

Definitely better. Add to that the 1 Hz increments/decrements from 30 Hz to 200 Hz and latency settings in 1 ms steps.

It's lacking independent settings for high pass and low pass, but I am absolutely sure that for 99% of all users it's better to leave it that way.

The latency setting update did such an improvement on my office setup.
Sounds like the crossover will be sufficient for a nice integration with passive subs aswell.
I figure the Wiim Ultra will have a similar filter.
Wiim is really turning into a budget friendly swiss army knife for great sound in every aspect.

If you want a cheap gateway into decent hifi. WiiM is the way.

Sad most of the industry is going the other way with an interest in lossy Bluetooth etc as convenience over quality. WiiM it’s nice to make an effort to do both convenience and quality, I hope the WiiM amp pro and ultra really end up being disrupters that finally bring sane pricing to hifi

Sad most of the industry is going the other way with an interest in lossy Bluetooth etc as convenience over quality. WiiM it’s nice to make an effort to do both convenience and quality, I hope the WiiM amp pro and ultra really end up being disrupters that finally bring sane pricing to hifi
Well the original WiiM Amp already exists and I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds very similar to the Pro version regardless of PFFB.

Bluetooth may be lossy, but with LDAC you will have to strain to hear any difference between it and the Wiim.

What's wrong with spending £4000 on a hifi rose streamer and £7000 on a DAC ;-)

Bluetooth may be lossy, but with LDAC you will have to strain to hear any difference between it and the Wiim.
The problem is finding a device that supports ldac. At home I have speakers and rarely need headphones. And most phones don’t tell you what codec you are using. Especially on apples side. Also tidal auto compresses streams on Bluetooth

The problem is finding a device that supports ldac. At home I have speakers and rarely need headphones. And most phones don’t tell you what codec you are using. Especially on apples side. Also tidal auto compresses streams on Bluetooth
LDAC is a lossy codec and proprietary to Sony, so royalties required. I'm wondering what the appeal is?

Sure this is the at least 12th repetition of my opinion and experience: As today the only BT devices I like are my Airpods. Pro and Max. No idea how Apple it does and it also is not of interest for me. Important is always what, not why. Tried all aptX versions (not the new "lossless", quite sure it is the same waste of money than the "codecs" before.) Same with LDAC. With really expensive headphones, some much more expensive than the Airpods. Not a single one remains here.

Wiim will soon run out of feature updates to give us that are considered blockbuster like RC and peq. They could give a comprehensive bass management like what you get from mini dsp. It gives you wider range of slope like butterworth and individual hi/low pass filter that are adjustable on each.

Sure this is the at least 12th repetition of my opinion and experience: As today the only BT devices I like are my Airpods. Pro and Max. No idea how Apple it does and it also is not of interest for me. Important is always what, not why. Tried all aptX versions (not the new "lossless", quite sure it is the same waste of money than the "codecs" before.) Same with LDAC. With really expensive headphones, some much more expensive than the Airpods. Not a single one remains here.

Indeed, I remember hearing you tell that story at least a dozen times. 🤣
And it sounded to me that the story was simply expressing how much you love your Airpods. In other words, it has nothing to do with the codec?

If there is a problem, I think it is that you cannot compare different codecs on Airpods because Airpods do not support Apt-X or LDAC. 🙂

Indeed, I remember hearing you tell that story at least a dozen times. 🤣
And it sounded to me that the story was simply expressing how much you love your Airpods. In other words, it has nothing to do with the codec?

If there is a problem, I think it is that you cannot compare different codecs on Airpods because Airpods do not support Apt-X or LDAC. 🙂
I did compare. With Sony X4s and X5s and with different B&Ws. This "codecs" did not impress me in any way. It were just other BT headphones. What I wanted to express is that although it seems (!) to be "only" AAC there are so much more details, soundstage ( found no better word because it is difficult for me for a headphone) and, most important FUN and not solely with this nonsense, but impressive and again FUN Atmos. Usage is only with Apple Music. They succeed, no idea how and why. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It pays to remember that music is a hobby. If a person enjoys the sounds, it’s irrelevant how technically “correct” it is. Keep enjoying your songs 😊

I did compare. With Sony X4s and X5s and with different B&Ws. This "codecs" did not impress me in any way. It were just other BT headphones. What I wanted to express is that although it seems (!) to be "only" AAC there are so much more details, soundstage ( found no better word because it is difficult for me for a headphone) and, most important FUN and not solely with this nonsense, but impressive and again FUN Atmos. Usage is only with Apple Music. They succeed, no idea how and why. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Please tell me. How can you compare AAC and LDAC on Airpods?

By the way, what happens when you connect Android phone to Airpods and playback in SBC or AAC? Will it sound inferior to AAC on iOS and Airpods?

You still got me wrong. I gave only my impression what sounds better in my ears. LDAC with the Sonys, aptX HD with the B&Ws, AAC (or what ever they use) with the AirPods. Never tried to connect AirPods with my Android devices. Is that even possible? As always, a disclaimer, its subjective as all impressions about sound should be marked. You know, I am not in the camp Worshippers of Digits and Graphs 😉

You still got me wrong. I gave only my impression what sounds better in my ears. LDAC with the Sonys, aptX HD with the B&Ws, AAC (or what ever they use) with the AirPods. Never tried to connect AirPods with my Android devices. Is that even possible? As always, a disclaimer, its subjective as all impressions about sound should be marked. You know, I am not in the camp Worshippers of Digits and Graphs 😉

Therefore, I think it is about you liking the combination of Airpods and iOS, and has nothing to do with the sound quality of LDAC itself. 😉

To say it absolute: For me the sound quality of AirPods with iOS is superior too the Android devices I've tried with the "codecs" aptX up to aptX HD and LDAC.

Back