Seeking Validation: Liberating from Sonos with a Future-Proof Wiim Expansion Architecture

If Plex were excellent it would be better than the Sonos server.

The best way to describe this is to say that, with possibly one exception, music servers simply don’t understand any organization that requires the name of the composition and a list of albums that contain it. That’s how you think when selecting music. If you have duplicate performances, you need to see the conductor or the soloist.

To work around this, I put albums in folders.
There are only a few servers that support classical music, as has been mentioned before.

There are only a few servers that support classical music, as has been mentioned before.
This is not a problem if I can browse folders.

Update. I added Plex to my Sonos, and it’s thinking. I’m not sure what it’s thinking about, the PC client didn’t have to think.

A.lot of recent work has been done regarding Classical tagging in Logitech Music Server. I am not trying to push you in that direction just letting you know it exists 😀
The moment Sonos restores access to media servers, if it does, I will have a look.

This is getting kind of old, but I just looked at my music library using sonopad, and when I list albums, they are all listed as I intended. They come up in alphabetical order, with album art. You can search.

With LMS you would bypass the Sonos app and play to the Sonos players as UPnP devices.
I could do it, but I have eight family members who visit. This is why Sonos is still in business

Some of them are still too young, but one will be a teenager. He’s a Phillip Glass fan and has a list of similar composers. He knows the names of video game composers.

The moment Sonos restores access to media servers, if it does, I will have a look.
We're going around in circles now. If you want to use the Sonos app then you're stuck with Sonos indexing (folders) or Plex.

We're going around in circles now. If you want to use the Sonos app then you're stuck with Sonos indexing (folders) or Plex.
Not true Sonos used to find and use UpnP servers.

Not true Sonos used to find and use UpnP servers.
Which ones? Certainly not LMS or MinimServer. I already mentioned that AssetUPnP and Windows media sharing were unusable.
If you have an Android device you can still use the old app.

Which ones? Certainly not LMS or MinimServer. I already mentioned that AssetUPnP and Windows media sharing were unusable.
If you have an Android device you can still use the old app.
I have the old app, but the page where you enable UPnP is grayed out, and says to update the app. Sonos hasn’t said specifically what services will be restored. Perhaps we’ll know more in a few weeks.

My system originated in iTunes. It’s not complicated. Album or CD by name. Followed by tracks in numeric order. Multiple CDs can have the same name, but there’s CD number.

The best way to describe this is to say that, with possibly one exception, music servers simply don’t understand any organization that requires the name of the composition and a list of albums that contain it. That’s how you think when selecting music. If you have duplicate performances, you need to see the conductor or the soloist.

To work around this, I put albums in folders.

So when I want to play something I need to be able to browse folders.
I also use Emby (a DLNA server) which has similar services to Plex. It has a recommended structure but is more permissive.

It also added composer support in Emby 4.6 (currently Version 4.8.8.0). I don't have a lot of classical music to give guidance.

I have the old app, but the page where you enable UPnP is grayed out, and says to update the app. Sonos hasn’t said specifically what services will be restored. Perhaps we’ll know more in a few weeks.
I've just reinstalled the old app and wow, I hadn't realised they'd crippled the old app too! Disgusting behaviour.
I bought my Play One's about a decade ago and could see the writing on the wall then. I guess I was right to steer clear after that.
Still, I haven't used the Sonos app in all that time so I'm unaffected by this farce.

Back