General Help with WiiM ultra

Solus47

I’ll be getting a WiiM Ultra in the next few days and I’m just in the process of selecting storage I’ll be connecting to the device via usb. I have a small collection of CD’s to rip and some MP3’s ripped yours ago.

I know nothing about ripping or metadata/id3 tags etc so had a few questions regarding that.

1) What naming convention/folder structure is used by the WiiM Ultra? I ask because back in the day I had one of the first mp3 disk stereos in my car and if the correct tags/metadata was not there it would not display correctly on the screen.

2) What program do you all suggest for ripping cd’s, which plays well with the WiiM Ultra?

3) Any suggestions on apps/programs for organising music media and sorting out correct naming if some files are missing tags etc

Thanks guys

Windows or Mac?

Assuming windows, here's one approach:

1) The ultra itself probably doesn't care.
On the usb, maybe a top level folder, e.g. Music
Then a folder per artist, with a folder per album.
I think the metadata is still what drives what's displayed, unless you browse by folder. (Assuming the ultra can browse by folder; I've not actually attached a usb to mine!)
This is what physical structure I've got on my NAS anyway.

2) Exact Audio Copy
It can search for the disk being ripped and apply tags.

3) MP3 Tag. Despite the name, works on flacs, and probably others, too.

Thanks for the help! I’m a windows user…

I remember mp3 tag from ages ago 😀, So I guess you add any missing data and the Ultra reads what it needs.

Does the name of the mp3/flac file need to be a certain way?
Assuming you can use folder mode and it’s setup as you describe above I assume the actual file name is irrelevant?

Windows or Mac?

Assuming windows, here's one approach:

1) The ultra itself probably doesn't care.
On the usb, maybe a top level folder, e.g. Music
Then a folder per artist, with a folder per album.
I think the metadata is still what drives what's displayed, unless you browse by folder. (Assuming the ultra can browse by folder; I've not actually attached a usb to mine!)
This is what physical structure I've got on my NAS anyway.

2) Exact Audio Copy
It can search for the disk being ripped and apply tags.

3) MP3 Tag. Despite the name, works on flacs, and probably others, too.
You can browse by folder.
Perhaps the biggest disappointment is it can take a while to scan. The music is accessed via the Wiim Ultra server rather than direct through the Ultra.

So I guess you add any missing data and the Ultra reads what it needs.
Pretty much, yes.

Does the name of the mp3/flac file need to be a certain way?
Not really.
Exact Audio Copy has common templates for naming folders / files.

Assuming you can use folder mode and it’s setup as you describe above I assume the actual file name is irrelevant?
Probably, unless you want them to be shown in track order.
Hence common templates being like '01 Track Title.flac' or '01 - Track Title.flac' etc.

IMHO the best Windows ripper is the paid version of dbPoweramp. It will pull all the metadata and cover art that you will want and can add ReplayGain tags (recommended).

A few tips
Pay attention to the disc tags 1/2, 2/2 etc and set things up to write track files as discno-trackno-title.flac with leading zeros. This is particularly important if you intend to use folder browsing as it will ensure tracks are in the correct order per the album.
Rip to FLAC level 5. You can always make lossy mp3 copies from these but you can’t make lossless Flacs from mp3s.
Use an Artist/Album folder structure with a cover.jpg or folder.jpg at 600x600 or better.

IMHO the best Windows ripper is the paid version of dbPoweramp. It will pull all the metadata and cover art that you will want and can add ReplayGain tags (recommended).

A few tips
Pay attention to the disc tags 1/2, 2/2 etc and set things up to write track files as discno-trackno-title.flac with leading zeros. This is particularly important if you intend to use folder browsing as it will ensure tracks are in the correct order per the album.
Rip to FLAC level 5. You can always make lossy mp3 copies from these but you can’t make lossless Flacs from mp3s.
Use an Artist/Album folder structure with a cover.jpg or folder.jpg at 600x600 or better.
Thank for the info, I follow what your saying but what does “with leading zeros” mean?

I have dbpoweramp ordered but not installed yet..

Pretty much, yes.

Not really.
Exact Audio Copy has common templates for naming folders / files.

Probably, unless you want them to be shown in track order.
Hence common templates being like '01 Track Title.flac' or '01 - Track Title.flac' etc.
Thank you for the help! Great community here 😀

You can browse by folder.
Perhaps the biggest disappointment is it can take a while to scan. The music is accessed via the Wiim Ultra server rather than direct through the Ultra.
I guess once it’s done it’s done. Maybe an overnight job then 😀

what does “with leading zeros” mean?
Like I showed, '01 - Track Title.flac' rather than '1 - Track Title.flac'
Otherwise tracks 1 and 10 (and 11, and 12, and...) will come before track 2.
i.e. the files will be shown alphabetically.

It's not very likely you'll have more than 99 tracks in one album, so '001 - Track Title.flac' may be overkill!

Like I showed, '01 - Track Title.flac' rather than '1 - Track Title.flac'
Otherwise tracks 1 and 10 (and 11, and 12, and...) will come before track 2.
i.e. the files will be shown alphabetically.
Ah I see..

While I’ve got your attention… I assume I can use PerfectTUNES from the dbpoweramp guys to edit any albums that don’t follow your suggested naming convection

Thank you again for the help

Ah I see..

While I’ve got your attention… I assume I can use PerfectTUNES from the dbpoweramp guys to edit any albums that don’t follow your suggested naming convection

Thank you again for the help
I don't know about perfecttunes or dbpoweramp, sorry!
But the filenames are really just for us humans when looking directly at the folders.
Artist, album, track number etc. tags is all the computer really needs.

I don't know about perfecttunes or dbpoweramp, sorry!
But the filenames are really just for us humans when looking directly at the folders.
Artist, album, track number etc. tags is all the computer really needs.
My mistake I was confusing you with the person that suggested dbpoweramp, but thanks for the reply anyway 😀

A few tips
Hi j6jd,

I went ahead and got dBPoweramp and I agree it’s got some great features. I got the complete pack si have the ability to edit all my rips etc. I know you touched on naming convention with me, so does that advice stand for creating my collection regardless of how it’s served?

I will be ripping my collection over the weekend and initially will possibly connect a hard drive.

There have been many mentions of LMS.. Am I correct that you have this setup as mentioned in other posts or am I getting you confused.

I’m open to hosting content else where but as I’ve mentioned before I was looking for an all in one solution, but if a raspberry pi or a low powered pc could do the trick I’m open to that.

I assume LMS is just a bit better than other offerings.

I’d be interested in your setup with LMS and in anyone else who doesn’t connect directly to the ultra or other WiiM devices with a hard drive

Thanks

Hi j6jd,

I went ahead and got dBPoweramp and I agree it’s got some great features. I got the complete pack si have the ability to edit all my rips etc. I know you touched on naming convention with me, so does that advice stand for creating my collection regardless of how it’s served?

I will be ripping my collection over the weekend and initially will possibly connect a hard drive.

There have been many mentions of LMS.. Am I correct that you have this setup as mentioned in other posts or am I getting you confused.

I’m open to hosting content else where but as I’ve mentioned before I was looking for an all in one solution, but if a raspberry pi or a low powered pc could do the trick I’m open to that.

I assume LMS is just a bit better than other offerings.

I’d be interested in your setup with LMS and in anyone else who doesn’t connect directly to the ultra or other WiiM devices with a hard drive

Thanks
Yes to the naming conventions.

LMS, Plex, and Roon are examples of non DLNA media servers that have their own proprietory protocol for streaming.
LMS and Roon will work with WiiMs. Plex is on the horizon. Roon carries a cost but LMS and Plex are free.

WiiMs will also work with DLNA servers such as Asset UPnP, MinimServer, MiniDLNA etc. Asset has a cost but MinimServer is free except if you want to unlock certain features. MiniDLNA is the server that WiiM use to run the USB stick solution.

I use LMS as I believe it is the best zero cost option as as well as local files it supports a host of other online music services which can be integrated into your library and things like Internet radio, BBC Sounds etc - https://lyrion.org.
I have used it on many hardware platforms but currently on a Raspberry Pi - https://picoreplayer.org - see their Option 2.

Yes to the naming conventions.

LMS, Plex, and Roon are examples of non DLNA media servers that have their own proprietory protocol for streaming.
LMS and Roon will work with WiiMs. Plex is on the horizon. Roon carries a cost but LMS and Plex are free.

WiiMs will also work with DLNA servers such as Asset UPnP, MinimServer, MiniDLNA etc. Asset has a cost but MinimServer is free except if you want to unlock certain features. MiniDLNA is the server that WiiM use to run the USB stick solution.

I use LMS as I believe it is the best zero cost option as as well as local files it supports a host of other online music services which can be integrated into your library and things like Internet radio, BBC Sounds etc - https://lyrion.org.
I have used it on many hardware platforms but currently on a Raspberry Pi - https://picoreplayer.org - see their Option 2.
Fantastic info.

I’ve never had a Raspberry Pi before. I assume it not to difficult to setup?

Is it worth picking up the latest RP 5 or can I get away with a 4

Looks like I’ve got some work to do this week end.

Lastly, from your experience with the RP, is there a limit to the size of hard drive you can connect to it?
I’m thinking about an ssd?

Any experience with running LMS on Windows?

Cheers

Probably more expensive than a Pi, but another option is a NAS which can run LMS (or minimserver or similar).
Depends what you want I guess - I run a NAS with music, photos, docs etc. all on it that backs up nightly to the cloud.
It has minimserver and LMS on it.
Not all NASs can run LMS though, and I seem to recall reading here somewhere that some Synology ones no longer can??
Anyway, just more reading for you!

Not all NASs can run LMS though, and I seem to recall reading here somewhere that some Synology ones no longer can??
None of them can natively, if I remember correctly. You're limited to those models that are powerful enough to run LMS in a Docker container.

Probably more expensive than a Pi, but another option is a NAS which can run LMS (or minimserver or similar).
Depends what you want I guess - I run a NAS with music, photos, docs etc. all on it that backs up nightly to the cloud.
It has minimserver and LMS on it.
Anyway, just more reading for you!
I did think of a NAS but might initally try a few albums added to a hard drive and see how we go. I actually just need to get the blasted WiiM ultra out the box and experiment.

Thank you for the suggestion

Back