HARMAN Acquires Roon

No, lack of WiFi is never a con for me. WiFi is fine for remote but as soon as it comes to important things like music wired connections are my choice. One of the reasons I've never tried the Mini. Quite sure I mentioned that before. And to camouflage a 2m network cable isn't too difficult 😉
Some people here think ethernet connections are plagued by noise. 🤣

i'm pretty sure you could cobble together a cheap custom build or even a cheap prebuilt intel nuc or similar that would outperform the nucleus at a better price

I think one could do it and save $100, maybe $200. The Nucleus One is $499 which is pretty close to what I spent putting my Intel NUC system (running Roon ROCK) together.

I think one could do it and save $100, maybe $200. The Nucleus One is $499 which is pretty close to what I spent putting my Intel NUC system (running Roon ROCK) together.
Yeh, fair enough. I'm just looking at the overall value proposition.

The NUC would be more futureproofed because of having more power under the hood. Also, you could run other server applications alongside Roon server on it unlike the nucleus. E.g. DNS server or whatever other apps...

Plus you can more easily repurpose the hardware.

I mean we are on the WiiM forums here lads, so I assume most are looking for the best price:performance 😂

Liking the WiiMs does not necessarily mean short of money 😉.
i didn't say cheap. i said good price : performance. i mean i'm the one who to the annoyance of many in this forum keep encouraging WiiM to create a "pro" subscription for the WHA so that they can get recurring SaaS revenue 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
And I am quite sure, the typical Nucleus buyer is precisely not interested in having other software on the server.
that's fair enough + the industrial design is really awesome. i get it. however it's also this exact kind of device that is randomly bricked by the manufacturers like that spotify "car thing" recently... 🤷‍♂️

not saying roon are gonna do the same. but if at all possible i try my best to purchase upgradeable and future proofed devices that are not locked down by the manufacturer in any way... the more "repurposable" (probably not a word) a device is - the less likely it is to become e-waste in the future. 🤔

I like Steve. He's got his opinions and I can understand his perspective.

I'm completely different to him, though. Which I also like because he often says something I wouldn't have imagined myself...

He's a character! And has so much more experience than many of the Weisenheimers. And I agree that he links sometimes to an approach which is worth but not so obvious. If he only could sort the chaos in the background 😂
I sort of like the chaos which balances my constant struggles for Bauhaus simplicity (but which always just eludes me
1720686174985.png

By the way, you've got the ultimate final! Congratulations 👍
Yep.
A case of eeny-meeny-miney-mo... Come on Ingerland or Viva España 😜

Watch out for the Spanish national anthem - there are no words! The English one used to be God Save the Team... But that no longer works so well since we got Charlie Boy!

It'll be a mix of San Miguel and Newcastle Broon for me, then

1720688744457.png

Back