WiiM Ultra Firmware v5.2.628942 Update - Sep 9, 2024

So what has exactly happened with the multi channel playback?

I used to get stereo pcm from my apple tv and now when watching a movie with multi channel audio it shows dolby surround. What's weird is that there is a notable difference in sound between stereo pcm and dolby surround. There is something like a surround sound now with dolby, like there is an added layer of spatiality. Also when I watch a 5.1 test video on youtube the surround channels sound different in comparison to the front channels. With stereo pcm front and surround l/r sound the same - which makes sense because it's a 2.0 setup. And whats even more weird is that left and right surround sounds come from the left speaker, meaning there is a disbalance in the sound now with Dolby. Does anyone have any more information on that? What happens when the wiim does the encoding of the surround sound signal?

Thanks!

So what has exactly happened with the multi channel playback?

I used to get stereo pcm from my apple tv and now when watching a movie with multi channel audio it shows dolby surround. What's weird is that there is a notable difference in sound between stereo pcm and dolby surround. There is something like a surround sound now with dolby, like there is an added layer of spatiality. Also when I watch a 5.1 test video on youtube the surround channels sound different in comparison to the front channels. With stereo pcm front and surround l/r sound the same - which makes sense because it's a 2.0 setup. And whats even more weird is that left and right surround sounds come from the left speaker, meaning there is a disbalance in the sound now with Dolby. Does anyone have any more information on that? What happens when the wiim does the encoding of the surround sound signal?

Thanks!

Is the apple tv plugged into the TV? This firmware update added 5.1 support, probably the reason for the change from PCM. Maybe you could set the apple tv to output PCM if that works better for now. I think it will improve with some updates, it's brand new.

On my setup with sony TV, I could not play DTS audio until I changed pass through mode to off, but left the output as dolby digital and now get LPCM with DTS on Ultra. This is with Plex and maybe out of the scope of the Wiim for now.

with passthrough on it plays everything else and streaming services as AC3, not sure how it works! I know dolby surround is not DD, of course this is 2.0.

In the past my receivers could always create a great center channel dialog (Dolby surround) with 2.0 input.

pass_through_off.jpg

Last edited:
Back