HDMI ARC in - low volume/too quiet

keywork

Hi there!

Any one here using HDMI ARC as an input on their Ultra? I finally set everything up this weekend and found that using the HDMI in, I have to go to drastically higher volume levels than expected to reach regular listening levels (50-60+). I tried playing with the pre-gain but it doesn't appear to function for this specific input :( this may be a bug but I would need others to verify that.

As a test, I rewired things to use optical between the TV and Ultra and with a bit of pre-gain adjustment, i'm comfortably listening at 30 now. Everything else with the Ultra has been fantastic so far but I can't seem to figure this out.

Device chain for reference: Nvidia Shield --(HDMI)-->Vizio TV --(HDMI/optical)--> Wiim Ultra --(RCA to XLR cables)--> Fosi V3 Monos -> Sierra LX's

Welcome.

Most likely the volume of the signal coming out of the TV is significantly lower than, for example, streaming, meaning that both hdmi and optical from the tv need boosting to have a similar ultra volume number be the same actual volume at your ears.

Not used the hdmi input for a while, so can't confirm or deny pre-gain for that input atm.

For example, I find that the volume between actual TV (free to air), chromecast (netflix etc.) and music streaming can differ significantly.

What's your WiiM Home App and WiiM Ultra firmware version? Pre-gain certainly works on HDMI ARC for me (but didn't display correctly when initially introduced).

Apart from that, my answer is the same as on ASR. :)

With my WiiM Amp I had to „boost“ the signal level with a setting of the TV.

I have the same. Even with pre gain + 10 for HDMI, I must use 2Vrms voltage output. So when listening music I have to use ~60% volue limit and 30-60% volume level, to be able to normally listen audio from TV.

The solution would be to implement differet Vrms voltage output for different inputs, or you can also adjust gain (-10) for all others inputs if using 2Vrms

Can confirm that bumping the “pre-gain” in Settings>Audio input>pre-gain improved my volume levels. I was experiencing the same issues as OP.

Can confirm that bumping the “pre-gain” in Settings>Audio input>pre-gain improved my volume levels. I was experiencing the same issues as OP.
And just to confirm, you bumped up the pre-grain on the "TV" input?

And just to confirm, you bumped up the pre-grain on the "TV" input?
Yes exactly. I bumped it to +5db and that really helped. You can bump it +10db. Really happy I found this I thought I was going to have to return it.

I am running my ultra line out to my Marantz PM-KI Ruby's power amp in input and then to Sierra LX's (same speakers as OP). I never had volume issues running TV optical to my SA-KI ruby so I was getting very frustrated with the volume levels.

Last edited:
Going to wire up the HDMI again and give it another go as I had already tried raising the TV pre-gain and it did nothing :( will report back!

In my LG TV, hdmi arc (with ultra and with other hdmi arc dacs the same) is too quiet in case of TV channels, I do not know why. But what is funny, there is no any problem in case of smart tv apps or hdmi sources connected to tv. Arc volume level is then perfect.
There is some kind of bug or some strange setting in LG os.

I also encountered the same problem. The volume of the TV connected with HDMI ARC is too low, I can only reach normal listening volumes above 60 (Sony A1 TV).
This only happens with HDMI

You might encounter the problem with the new pre-gain setting. Else there isn’t much the Ultra can do if the source level is low.

I also encountered the same problem. The volume of the TV connected with HDMI ARC is too low, I can only reach normal listening volumes above 60 (Sony A1 TV).
This only happens with HDMI
Is this with Dolby Digital or PCM? I think it is usual for the volume to be low with DD.

It's in Dolby digital, today when I get home I'll see how to set the HDMI output to PCM (I don't know if my Sony allows it). Thank you.

I set the output to PCM, the volume is now only slightly higher, but it remains significantly lower than when connected directly to the amplifier. The same thing happens with optical.The Ultra recognizes both signals as LPCM and not PCM, could that be the point?

I set the output to PCM, the volume is now only slightly higher, but it remains significantly lower than when connected directly to the amplifier. The same thing happens with optical.The Ultra recognizes both signals as LPCM and not PCM, could that be the point?
Is your system 2.0? I have similar with Optical from TV, using the pre gain

Back