HDMI output for Now Playing on TV

aguzz132

Hi everyone!

I have a suggestion for future versions of the products you've already released (like V2s maybe): consider including an HDMI output so that the Now Playing screen can be displayed on a TV. This is a feature that, for example, the Marantz Cinema 70s has, and I think it would be a great addition that very few products offer. If you could also integrate it with the display of song lyrics, that would be even better.

You are not the first. And I agree.

The hmdi seems useless to me. No audio output to av receiver, no cover art out. Barely usable on Roon.

The Roku Ultra costs $85, has a USB port that can take a 5tb drive without external power, has a good media player, Amazon music, Spotify, SiriusXM, Apple Music, BBC Music, Airplay.

The hmdi seems useless to me. No audio output to av receiver, no cover art out. Barely usable on Roon.
Welcome.

Seeing as its purpose is to accept audio from, for example, a TV then it performs as expected.
It was never intended to be audio or video out.

Welcome.

Seeing as its purpose is to accept audio from, for example, a TV then it performs as expected.
It was never intended to be audio or video out.
I had a misunderstanding of the hdmi port as probably others have. After a support tech explained it & I successfully connected it to the tv through the TVs HDMI port I’m fine with it now as it passes signal through the ultra using its internal dac ( I believe?)
A prior attempt at going through the avrs hdmi port proved unsuccessful .
Does This sound reasonably correct?

Hdmi output to get a Now Playing screen is still a compromise - requires yet another cable connection, and forces the user to place the output device close to the TV. What is required is a software solution to easily display the info.

I can do this using LMS & FIRE TV's Silk browser - the TV and the player are at opposite ends of the room - No hdmi cable needed

IMG_20240814_111104.jpg

Hdmi output to get a Now Playing screen is still a compromise - requires yet another cable connection, and forces the user to place the output device close to the TV. What is required is a software solution to easily display the info.

I can do this using LMS & FIRE TV's Silk browser - the TV and the player are at opposite ends of the room - No hdmi cable needed

View attachment 10376
How have you managed to get that full screen?

That's what Roon (😇 sorry) offers without any cable to a Chromecast TV.
But after a quite short time of pure excitement over this feature the point came quickly when the big dominating screen annoyed me more and more. So, yes. Its nice to have. But..
Thought about adding a small computer monitor sized TV for the job. Still thinking. Telling it simply: Space is the issue.

View attachment 10380
That's one feature of Roon which I lust for 😋... But can it justify the cost?

I sideloaded the LMS Android apk on my Google tv - it works but cursor control is a pain to use, so I reverted to the fire tv Silk browser - not great but it works. All this should be much easier.

The best remote display I ever used was the Sonos cr200 - a really nice handheld device (which surpassed any smartphone at the time). Stylish design, super screen, easy to use BUT sadly suffered from a hardware defect which cut short its useful life. It was also expensive new - mine was 2nd hand & lasted about 12 months before the hardware bug kicked in 😝

1723633996517.png

For streaming the situation now with a tablet seems to be pure luxury for me 😉
Either the iPad (or I guess every other tablet) is in my hands or I'll put it on my desk beside me. It stands upright in its stand, in every alignment I want.
(Wish they will build turntables and CD players with such a feature in future. Must be only one line in a code, so what 😂😂😂)
I agree with your comment about using a tablet - but battery life is still a bugbear! 😋

Want to try roon, the cast screen ability indeed attracts, but lack of songs rating makes it a no for me. I am too deep in that rabbit hole for smart playlists (started from iTunes days).

Cast vs cable seems it has pros and cons? Could live with both for sure.

I never tried either one but feels like hdmi out would be trading in some flexibility obviously but in exchange you just get a set once and forget. Imagine with casting, establishing the connection, having device turned on and managing when/where to cast is each time an extra UI step.

The bug I have with the ipad is there are screens where there's no way back (as far as I see) unlike android with the three symbol navigation buttons at the screen bottom which can be used to go back, etc.

Never thought about that, true and good point. So grown up with my tablet, swiping brings me to the home screen. But it is not so convenient as Android, agreed.
But, then, some ipad apps are better than the android equivalent - an example is the new Sonos app... much better on the ipad.

Back