How to use Apple music airplay2 on Wiim Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiiM Team

Administrator
Staff member
Hi WiiM Community,

We always strive to be transparent with this forum, sharing early product announcements, specifications, and addressing your concerns and questions. We realize the lack of availability of AirPlay in the WiiM Ultra has caused confusion and we apologize for that. The WiiM Ultra does not support AirPlay and does not function as an AirPlay receiver. At the original launch, we believed we would be able to support AirPlay, which is why many of you saw it in the initial press release. However, we were unable to include it and decided not to delay the launch further, maintaining the additional features of the streamer that provide a high-quality listening experience.

We understand this may be disappointing for our users who primarily use AirPlay, and for those users we'd suggest choosing a different WiiM solution for now. If any users have purchased the Ultra primarily for AirPlay and are unsatisfied with their purchase, the retailers will honor the return based on their policies.

The WiiM Ultra continues to provide exceptional audio, high performance, and value supporting a rich variety of options such as Chromecast Audio, Alexa Casting, Spotify Connect, TIDAL Connect, Qobuz, Amazon Music, Deezer, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, and more.

We apologize for any confusion and dissatisfaction this may have caused, and we appreciate your understanding.

Thank you,
WiiM Team

Recently, the rear USB terminal of Wiim Ultra has output power. So, just connect the Belkin AirPlay adapter and then connect it to the optical input. In fact, this is also possible using a small-sized DAC.

Would it be possible to use a wiim mini as an Air Play receiver and connect it to the Ultra using the optical output?

Would it be possible to use a wiim mini as an Air Play receiver and connect it to the Ultra using the optical output?
I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before as a viable alternative.
Don't use airplay myself to test it out

If I use another device for Airplay receiver, I don't see good value of WiiM Ultra. At $400 (Belkin Airplay + WiiM Ultra), I rather buy a better quality DAC (higher grade DAC chip, better OP amps, robust power supply) with airplay receiver.

If I use another device for Airplay receiver, I don't see good value of WiiM Ultra. At $400 (Belkin Airplay + WiiM Ultra), I rather buy a better quality DAC (higher grade DAC chip, better OP amps, robust power supply) with airplay receiver.
And yet even if the Ultra had come out at nearer $400, I think many would have considered it good value.
Sure, if all you need is Airplay, go for it.
That's the beauty of having so many options nowadays!

How would you know for sure you'd be getting better OP amps or a more robust power supply?

What I’m contemplating is whether this would work: hook up an AirPort Express (2nd gen) to the Ultra via optical. I could even rename the Express to WiiM Ultra so this name would show up as Airport receiver. Auto sensing should switch to the optical port.

What downsides would this have? Would this solution functionally be any different than in-built AirPlay?

I have an unused Express so cost is no issue.

What I’m contemplating is whether this would work: hook up an AirPort Express (2nd gen) to the Ultra via optical. I could even rename the Express to WiiM Ultra so this name would show up as Airport receiver. Auto sensing should switch to the optical port.

What downsides would this have? Would this solution functionally be any different than in-built AirPlay?

I have an unused Express so cost is no issue.
First thing that comes to mind is volume control happening on the Airport instead of the Ultra.

If you want to give yourself some headroom for controlling the volume of the AirPort with the source app, you'd have to turn up the Ulta a bit.

If you then switch to a different source on the Ultra, it'll be relatively loud again.

First thing that comes to mind is volume control happening on the Airport instead of the Ultra.

If you want to give yourself some headroom for controlling the volume of the AirPort with the source app, you'd have to turn up the Ulta a bit.

If you then switch to a different source on the Ultra, it'll be relatively loud again.
If the Ultra has per source volume control that shouldn't be an issue.

Does the Ultra wake up from standby if a connected USB device is sending an audio signal?

Careful what you say guys, seems like any mention of airplay will result in the thread being closed.. 🥲

Just another thought: the fact that we haven't seen reviews by Darko, Cheapaudioman, Robinson and other big youtube channels... Seems like there's still some kind of embargo at play. Might have something to do with the whole Airplay situation as well.

Seems rather silly to close all Airplay-related threads, because inevitably, people will have questions about it.

Not impressed at all how Linkplay is handling this. AirPlay-related questions aren’t going to go away by pretending forum space is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back