How to use Apple music airplay2 on Wiim Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waiting for an upcoming rumor that Apple is preparing to launch their own streamer 😂😂
To be honest, I would buy it immediately. Without any reviews or tests. That what others did and do with Amps and Ultras. One can think whatever one wants about A's policy. But the stuff they build works always out of the box. Never had issues with iPhones and iPads for private use and for Macbooks and Macs in the company. Thats the points where I like to pay a bit more.

This is weird because while it's clear that current Ultras won't get the AirPlay, we still do not know if certification process is in progress and if AirPlay enabled revision of the Ultra is going to be released in the future.

So it can't cast or receive AirPlay.

It doesn't what it doesn't say on the tin.

Don't be facetious.
Didn't mean to be and could've formulated it a bit different, but you just closed a thread of someone who already spent money on an Ultra and is now debating whether or not to keep it given the Airplay situation. People are just trying to be helpful and giving all the info we got until now only for the thread to be shut down yet again.

Still waiting for an upcoming rumor that Apple is preparing to launch their own streamer 😂😂
To be honest, I would buy it immediately. Without any reviews or tests. That what others did and do with Amps and Ultras. One can think whatever one wants about A's policy. But the stuff they build works always out of the box. Never had issues with iPhones and iPads for private use and for Macbooks and Macs in the company. Thats the points where I like to pay a bit more.

This is well possible, but I‘d be surprised it has anything to do with the Ultra and the lack of Airplay. Lots of streamers, old and new, have Airplay, and the certification process is most likely a strictly technical affair, where something went wrong somewhere as far as the Ultra is concerned.

Didn't mean to be and could've formulated it a bit different, but you just closed a thread of someone who already spent money on an Ultra and is now debating whether or not to keep it given the Airplay situation. People are just trying to be helpful and giving all the info we got until now only for the thread to be shut down yet again.
This info has been repeated over and over, and in numerous threads.

This is well possible, but I‘d be surprised it has anything to do with the Ultra and the lack of Airplay. Lots of streamers, old and new, have Airplay, and the certification process is most likely a strictly technical affair, where something went wrong somewhere as far as the Ultra is concerned.
And still it's just speculation and more speculation. WiiM won't start explaining in detail what they are either not allowed to or not willing to (to protect their business) just because people come up with the same weird speculations every day.

Let's just stick with the facts.
  • In the past AirPlay certification could be obtained by either implementing a chip (not any chip, but "the" MFi chip) or by using certified software. That's a fact you can proof by a quick Google search, showing results from Apple's own forums.
  • WiiM announced in this forum that at the original launch, they believed they would be able to support AirPlay.
  • WiiM also announced that the software can't add AirPlay since the device requires an MFi authentication chip.
  • They went on to make clear that the current hardware cannot support AirPlay for that matter.
These are independent facts, but facts they are. Make of that what you want. For me the picture is pretty clear.

Final fact: WiiM did not announce if or when they might make a new version of the Ultra.

I bet they will never again even remotely suggest any device might be AirPlay certified unless they are 110% sure.

As I mentioned my (and others) mantra many times before: WiiM is (yet) not important enough for Apple. Thats ok, many other companies aren't too. The only point is the silencing which took obviously the command.
And many of the "Airplay is not so important at all" would be surprised how important it is in reality. My critic on WiiM is the way they communicated the story. Or in fact they never did really communicate it. In Germany we say "heimlich, still und leise" (Secretly, silently and quietly)
And omitting isn't better than lying. They've lost a lot of credit. Not only from me.

Last edited:
And still it's just speculation and more speculation. WiiM won't start explaining in detail what they are either not allowed to or not willing to (to protect their business) just because people come up with the same weird speculations every day.

Let's just stick with the facts.
  • In the past AirPlay certification could be obtained by either implementing a chip (not any chip, but "the" MFi chip) or by using certified software. That's a fact you can proof by a quick Google search, showing results from Apple's own forums.
  • WiiM announced in this forum that at the original launch, they believed they would be able to support AirPlay.
  • WiiM also announced that the software can't add AirPlay since the device requires an MFi authentication chip.
  • They went on to make clear that the current hardware cannot support AirPlay for that matter.
These are independent facts, but facts they are. Make of that what you want. For me the picture is pretty clear.

Final fact: WiiM did not announce if or when they might make a new version of the Ultra.

I bet they will never again even remotely suggest any device might be AirPlay certified unless they are 110% sure.

And people speculating on a forum is a problem, because?

WiiM also obviously informed their official distribution partners that the Ultra would have AirPlay. The official German WiiM site didn’t get corrected until a couple of weeks ago (long after I had ordered one, and long after rumors crept up in this forum). That’s also a fact.

All of which are being shut down... best to keep one centralised Airplay related thread available which we can refer to (or add to)
It's not my decision to make, it's up to the forum staff, and don't be surprised if the same thing happens to this thread.

It's not my decision to make, it's up to the forum staff, and don't be surprised if the same thing happens to this thread.
You might want to inform the forum staff that some long-term costumers like me, who own several WiiM devices, find this very peculiar.

And people speculating on a forum is a problem, because?
Because it won't change anything. AirPlay is not going to come to the Ultra even if if technically possible. That's it.

WiiM also obviously informed their official distribution partners that the Ultra would have AirPlay. The official German WiiM site didn’t get corrected until a couple of weeks ago (long after I had ordered one, and long after rumors crept up in this forum). That’s also a fact.
Right. Audio Trade did not update their website in time and that has certainly been to your disadvantage. They couldn't know it earlier than WiiM did, of course. But they were slow compared to what WiiM announced on their international site (plus they claim to have informed their distributors).

Since the information that Apple won't certify the Ultra came very late, your only other option would have been to cancel your order. In any case, your contract as a customer is with the reseller, not with the manufacturer.

AirPlay is not going to come to the Ultra even if if technically possible. That's it.
No all we know for sure is that it's not coming to the hardware revision being sold currently? When did they say it is never coming?

"Please note: Airplay certification is still pending, and while we don't have a definitive timeline, we chose not to delay the launch of the WiiM Ultra. If you primarily use Airplay to stream music, we recommend waiting until it's certified or looking at other WiiM products."

No all we know for sure is that it's not coming to the hardware revision being sold currently? When did they say it is never coming?
It's not the same Ultra then. It's a different SKU.

That's different from e.g. the WiiM Amp where at least 3 different PCB versions were issued, but it remained the same product.

Since the information that Apple won't certify the Ultra came very late, your only other option would have been to cancel your order. In any case, your contract as a customer is with the reseller, not with the manufacturer.
I am an attorney, but thanks for explaining the legal implications. 😅

Because it won't change anything. AirPlay is not going to come to the Ultra even if if technically possible. That's it.

We were talking about what the reason might be, a change in Apple’s strategy, or a technical hiccup in the certification process. Of course it will not change anything for the current model, nobody claimed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back