Integrating Music Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiiM Team

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, we'd like to see what music services you want integrated into our WiiM Home app.

Please note, we hear you on Apple Music and YouTube Music as those are two we would love to integrate, but aside from these two, please post which ones you'd like to see and please vote up the ones you want. We are curious about what our community wants, and we'll see what we can do!

--
2/13/24 - We closed this thread and want to move the conversation to this thread where there is a poll. https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/integrating-music-services-poll.2816/

Thanks!
WiiM Team

Last edited:
You’re right about Apple Music and YouTube Music, those are our priorities.

We also use Idagio, especially if you can keep some of that superior search capabilities for Classical.

CBC Radio (we’re Canadian).

NPR and BBC radio are both good.

Audible for audio books.
You won’t get Apple Music so I would forget that pipe dream. Apple reluctantly went with Sonos as leader in the field. Their API isn’t suited for other devices it’s for websites and phone tablets and requires Apple Music app for authentication. It’s also limited to AAC so you might as well Airplay it.

One device has tried to integrate using the web kit API and it’s very bad and very buggy. It’s not desingned for 3rd party hardware like other services. They are only interested in selling more Apple hardware.

Roon recently said that Apple would let them access it but only on Apple devices and only using it via its own playback system with drm. So that’s gone away.

You won’t get Apple Music so I would forget that pipe dream. Apple reluctantly went with Sonos as leader in the field. Their API isn’t suited for other devices it’s for websites and phone tablets and requires Apple Music app for authentication. It’s also limited to AAC so you might as well Airplay it.

One device has tried to integrate using the web kit API and it’s very bad and very buggy. It’s not desingned for 3rd party hardware like other services. They are only interested in selling more Apple hardware.

Roon recently said that Apple would let them access it but only on Apple devices and only using it via its own playback system with drm. So that’s gone away.
People with the Eversolo streamer can stream hires from Apple Music. Maybe because it runs on a Android-type of OS. So it is possible, but it is very few options. Fingers crossed for support via WiiM 🤞🏻

16/44 ALAC Apple Music over AirPlay (which is now 256 AAC using the WiiM) would be possible if there was the ability to set a WiiM switch for AirPlay 1 (non Multiroom) vs default AirPlay 2 compatibility. That would be nice.
Second this. Considering integrating Apple music is unlikely, give the option to swtiching to AirPlay 1 seems like great solution.

People with the Eversolo streamer can stream hires from Apple Music. Maybe because it runs on an Android-type of OS. So it is possible, but it is very few options. Fingers crossed for support via WiiM 🤞🏻
It just uses the Android Apple Music app as does the FiiO R7 or any DAPs. It’s not integrated at all it’s just a separate app and can’t be integrated into anything its standalone app for iOS, Android, Mac and Windows only. You won’t get it on the Wiim unless Apple change tact which is very unlikely. The only vendor to try is Hifi Rose using the MusicKit Api which isn’t designed for integrating into devices. It’s a mess and can’t do lossless at all. Requires to be constantly authorised by the Apple Music app, use their player architecture not your own and and is buggy as hell. This is the reason it’s not in any hifi stuff as the tools are not there or the willingness from Apple.

Apple released high resolution loseless years ago but the problem was even their airplay caps at 48khz. What’s the point having having 192khz if the way you connect wirelessly is limited? Connecting iPhone/iPad to dac using lightning cable is not most listener want to do. They should update airplay to accommodate their service of high resolution loseless. The connect is usually the problem that only tidal/Spotify works with vast majority of devices.

It just uses the Android Apple Music app as does the FiiO R7 or any DAPs. It’s not integrated at all it’s just a separate app and can’t be integrated into anything its standalone app for iOS, Android, Mac and Windows only. You won’t get it on the Wiim unless Apple change tact which is very unlikely. The only vendor to try is Hifi Rose using the MusicKit Api which isn’t designed for integrating into devices. It’s a mess and can’t do lossless at all. Requires to be constantly authorised by the Apple Music app, use their player architecture not your own and and is buggy as hell. This is the reason it’s not in any hifi stuff as the tools are not there or the willingness from Apple.
Thanks for the reply 👍🏻
I think it is strange that Apple have these restrictions when it seems that they they’re not going to release a musicstreamer of their own. At least they should update the Apple TV to not being locked to 24/48. Hires from Apple is not making sense..

Apple released high resolution loseless years ago but the problem was even their airplay caps at 48khz. What’s the point having having 192khz if the way you connect wirelessly is limited? Connecting iPhone/iPad to dac using lightning cable is not most listener want to do. They should update airplay to accommodate their service of high resolution loseless. The connect is usually the problem that only tidal/Spotify works with vast majority of devices.
Actually it’s aac to all Airplay 2 clients not even lossless of any kind. Only legacy Airplay devices that don’t support Airplay 2 can send lossless at 44.1/16 not above. 48/24 is only for audio with Video and Apple TV any other it’s limited to 44.1/16.

Thanks for the reply 👍🏻
I think it is strange that Apple have these restrictions when it seems that they they’re not going to release a musicstreamer of their own. At least they should update the Apple TV to not being locked to 24/48. Hires from Apple is not making sense..

They don’t care about the hifi market they only have Apple Music and Apple TV+ to get people into their Eco system and sell more hardware nothing more. Same reason iTunes came about to sell iPods it wasn’t for the love of music. Hires was only added as Spotify threatens it and that’s its main competitor. It’s only on Android as it’s their own app they can control and they will be looking at users to eventually shift device to Apples own as the better deals are to be had that way. Apple like to control it all so have only reluctantly opened up to certain things that likely align with their strategy such as Sonos, Tesla and a few other car manufacturers.

As for Apple TV it’s likely doesnt go higher as for TV use most people don’t care. It supports what the streaming platforms and their own services provide lossy 48/24. It’s never supported Dolby Digital lossles or DTS lossless for video either. A move to likely have more stable support over wireless which the majority of users will be using. The demands on 192/24 lossless on a wireless network and 4k hdr video are more demanding and not everyone’s Wi-Fi is that great.

Last edited:
Actually it’s aac to all Airplay 2 clients not even lossless of any kind. Only legacy Airplay devices that don’t support Airplay 2 can send lossless at 44.1/16 not above. 48/24 is only for audio with Video and Apple TV any other it’s limited to 44.1/16.
I believe that you can get lossless over Airplay 2 from a Mac if the system wide Airplay device is set - see this often trotted out link https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/apple-music-lossless-mess-part-2-airplay-r1026/

They don’t care about the hifi market they only have Apple Music and Apple TV+ to get people into their Eco system and sell more hardware nothing more. Same reason iTunes came about to sell iPods it wasn’t for the love of music. Hires was only added as Spotify threatens it and that’s its main competitor. It’s only on Android as it’s their own app they can control and they will be looking at users to eventually shift device to Apples own as the better deals are to be had that way. Apple like to control it all so have only reluctantly opened up to certain things that likely align with their strategy such as Sonos, Tesla and a few other car manufacturers.

As for Apple TV it’s likely doesnt go higher as for TV use most people don’t care. It supports what the streaming platforms and their own services provide lossy 48/24. It’s never supported Dolby Digital lossles or DTS lossless for video either. A move to likely have more stable support over wireless which the majority of users will be using. The demands on 192/24 lossless on a wireless network and 4k hdr video are more demanding and not everyone’s Wi-Fi is that great.
Yeah, but why did Apple bother to update to hires when cable via USB-adapter from the phone/tablet is needed.

But I live happily with Qobuz and Spotify through my WiiM Pro 👍🏻

Thanks for the reply 👍🏻
Native apps for both Amazon Music and Deezer stream in ALAC 16/44.1 over AirPlay2.
I am referring to Apple Music which doesn’t. It seems to be highly app dependant and Apple don’t seem to want to change it. Likely for a more stable wireless multiroom system.

I believe that you can get lossless over Airplay 2 from a Mac if the system wide Airplay device is set - see this often trotted out link https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/apple-music-lossless-mess-part-2-airplay-r1026/
Yeah, I read that before, but most will be using a phone not their mac. I imagine trying to sync multiple lossless from a phones Wi-Fi might be asking a bit much of their network SoC and they are playing it safe to work with other wireless clients which most users will be using.

I am referring to Apple Music which doesn’t. It seems to be highly app dependant and Apple don’t seem to want to change it. Likely for a more stable wireless multiroom system.
I suspect it's more to do with Apple's tendency to favour Apple kit at the receiving end. ALAC 16/44 only consumes about 1Mbps, which is trivial.

I suspect it's more to do with Apple's tendency to favour Apple kit at the receiving end. ALAC 16/44 only consumes about 1Mbps, which is trivial.
Yes they prefer their own but they all support ALAC which it doesn’t send to them for Apple Music. If you’re grouping them for mulitroom to a good amount of speakers and sending it from a phone it will be a lot more than 1Mbps and any latency is a killer for multiroom. I know how crappy a lot of peoples Wi-Fi is in action and dealing with multiple clients and Sonos has all sorts of issues with it if not using its own Sonos net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back