Let's update power cable with something shielded

So the question remains, if shielding stops noise getting into the 1m of power cable, what happens to all the noise that's got in from the several miles between the power station and your house, and the dozen or so meters between your fuse box and plug?

The main point is to prevent disturbance from the mains grid to enter the audio system. That is why a good power supply is important with decent filtering. Additionally preventing noise to be coupled in via the cabling between your equipment helps for the last bit. Separating power and signal cables also helps at no cost.

With that reasoning the last meter is the most important one.What gets in on the other meters should be solved with a mains filter, external or as part of the power supply.

The main point is to prevent disturbance from the mains grid to enter the audio system. That is why a good power supply is important with decent filtering. Additionally preventing noise to be coupled in via the cabling between your equipment helps for the last bit. Separating power and signal cables also helps at no cost.

With that reasoning the last meter is the most important one.What gets in on the other meters should be solved with a mains filter, external or as part of the power supply.
I’ve heard differences going to ofc speaker wire but never with power cable change.

I doubt my 70 year old house supply is particularly clean. I can only conclude for my ears, the default power cables are fine

I’ve heard differences going to ofc speaker wire but never with power cable change.

I doubt my 70 year old house supply is particularly clean. I can only conclude for my ears, the default power cables are fine
Next image we get the thickness of power cable would be as thick as python.

For speaker cables you will find the same pro and con discussions in such topics.

And as said before, it is up to you, if you are happy with what you have please spend your money and time with other things than power cables!

So the question remains, if shielding stops noise getting into the 1m of power cable, what happens to all the noise that's got in from the several miles between the power station and your house, and the dozen or so meters between your fuse box and plug?
That question would only arise (and I'd have a couple of ideas for a good answer) after the original question has been answered:

What measurable difference can a shielded power cord make and is that difference audible?

Honestly folks, it's quite disgusting how everyone just throws in more unfounded opinion vs. facts, completely mixing up the topics of a shielded power cord with price, thickness, pride of ownership the amount and kind of copper used or whatever. All this is not the topic here.

Why is it so hard to discuss just this single aspect?

Time to grow up! 😛

Interconnect and speaker cables makes a more noticeable effect on the sound of a system, as they react differently depending on the equipment they are placed between.
Power cords carry the voltages that becomes the signals that those cables all the way to your speakers. How it gets to your brain is another matter.
A Power cord with the right gauge for the application and shielded, is important to not degrade the signal.

I designed and installed several pro audio set ups as a volunteer. The first thing I always do is to home run dedicated line(s) from main electrical panel - both 240V and 120V. Before connecting to audio equipment, I connect the power to power conditioners / surge protectors and ensure every active device to share a common ground. The same principle applies to home use - dedicated power line and power conditioner prior to anything else. This provides a good starting point for me to try all these ideas.

That question would only arise (and I'd have a couple of ideas for a good answer) after the original question has been answered:

What measurable difference can a shielded power cord make and is that difference audible?

Honestly folks, it's quite disgusting how everyone just throws in more unfounded opinion vs. facts...

So, yes. But we need to be careful also, along with fact and opinion, to include theory, and the level to which the theory is based on logic, or just plucked out of thin air.

If noise can get into an electricity supply in the 1m between plug and device, then it's a reasonable, logical working conclusion to presume noise can get in to that supply before the plug.

This could be difficult to prove as fact, and I'm not going to be the one to suggest tapping into mains at the power station and again before it enters the fuse box.

But I think it'd be wrong to wave away that theory as 'just opinion', purely because it's not absolute proven fact.

My mains electricity is clean. I plugged in a cable like this. There is no background noise.20241013_181101.jpg

So, yes. But we need to be careful also, along with fact and opinion, to include theory, and the level to which the theory is based on logic, or just plucked out of thin air.

If noise can get into an electricity supply in the 1m between plug and device, then it's a reasonable, logical working conclusion to presume noise can get in to that supply before the plug.

This could be difficult to prove as fact, and I'm not going to be the one to suggest tapping into mains at the power station and again before it enters the fuse box.

But I think it'd be wrong to wave away that theory as 'just opinion', purely because it's not absolute proven fact.
What you don't want is noise to be coupled from the mains cable into nearby signal cables. That's may you try you keep mains and signal cables apart. A company I worked for had a production engineer who came to show me how he had "improved" one of our products by rerouting the wires. He had run all the mains wires directly under the control PCB causing all kinds of problems when relays switched and there would be no chance of passing EMC immunity tests.

If this is really the kind of approach that interests you...there is "Eupen" ;-)
(even if it was the "subject" 20 years ago and has been shelved since then....)

Which one do you think about?
Anything potentially disturbing the endorphins production by a given listener and make less satisfactory the listening ritual. If someone thinks that something could be set in a better way, he probably will be never satisfied until that thing is not fixed.
This can be the proper shielding or even the position of a pillow on the sofa (I care of both) but sometimes it's hard to demonstrate that a given thing has an absolute value... 😎

They make cables. Beyond that I have no idea.
20ans deja...
😪....... 😭

(ferrite coated industrial cable over their entire length... for sensitive environments etc.was a fashion in audio in my country at the beginning of the 2000s ;-) to be reserved for sources....
but maybe interesting now on the class D who knows?)

;-)

Last edited:
If this is really the kind of approach that interests you...there is "Eupen" ;-)
(even if it was the "subject" 20 years ago and has been shelved since then....)
When you say something, it’s just not easy to understand. Then you tell us do research on what you said. Come here I will give you hug skinny boy jones.

Back