Let's update power cable with something shielded

It’s clear that many here do not understand EMI/RFI and then go on with debased ad hominem attacks. What @onlyoneme is doing is worthwhile looking into. The point is not so much to filter noise going into Ultra but rather filter HF noise fed back by Ultra into the ac line. At a minimum it is a good idea to install ferrite loops on the Ultra ac line.

Hmmm... Because the chassis provides the appropriate shielding?
The low power audio components and the power cables are both inside the same chassis.

The reason it doesn't matter is due to the distance between the components. The power line do generate noise close on but the level is below what is problematic a few centimeters away from it.

Power cords carry the voltages that becomes the signals that those cables all the way to your speakers.
This may be an "audiophile" way of thinking, but it's really not very helpful. The electrical power is not simply handed down to the speakers. It doesn't carry any particular properties (like poison in a water pipe) that might make it the point of consumption. This is not an appropriate model of what is happening. It's just more complicated than that. Whatever a shielded power cord might or might not be able to suppress over an unshielded one has to evaluated individually. Even more so since the WiiM Ultra is a class 2 device so one potential way of RF entering the device (the safety ground) doesn't even exist. A shield can still be effective, even if it's connected at one end only. The idea of this thread is to test it out, not to know in advance what's going to happen.

If noise can get into an electricity supply in the 1m between plug and device, then it's a reasonable, logical working conclusion to presume noise can get in to that supply before the plug.

This could be difficult to prove as fact, and I'm not going to be the one to suggest tapping into mains at the power station and again before it enters the fuse box.

But I think it'd be wrong to wave away that theory as 'just opinion', purely because it's not absolute proven fact.
Theory understood the right way (which is not the opposite of practice) is available to cover different views on this topic, for sure. All I'm asking is not to jump to conclusions without even evaluating which effects are predominant and which are not. So for now I just want to provide a couple of thoughts: High voltage goes through transformers with meaningful inductance when it is transformed to medium voltage and finally our low voltage grid. Concrete walls do block a certain amount of RF (otherwise WiFi signals would not be attenuated by them). A single open cable can well be a sending or receiving antenna.

We (or at least I) am not talking about 2 meters of snake oil cable magically transferring "dirty" into "clean" power. This is the kind of argument that I'd like to see not discussed here.

(ferrite coated industrial cable over their entire length... for sensitive environments etc.was a fashion in audio in my country at the beginning of the 2000s ;-) to be reserved for sources....
Admittedly, I had never heard of that brand name of that trend before. Either I didn't watch the scene closely enought during that period or it was more of a local phenomenon, I don't know.

The low power audio components and the power cables are both inside the same chassis.

The reason it doesn't matter is due to the distance between the components. The power line do generate noise close on but the level is below what is problematic a few centimeters away from it.
It doesn't matter? An internal cables management does matter as well as internal shielding whenever needed.

20ans deja...
😪

This may be an "audiophile" way of thinking, but it's really not very helpful. The electrical power is not simply handed down to the speakers. It doesn't carry any particular properties (like poison in a water pipe) that might make it the point of consumption. This is not an appropriate model of what is happening. It's just more complicated than that. Whatever a shielded power cord might or might not be able to suppress over an unshielded one has to evaluated individually. Even more so since the WiiM Ultra is a class 2 device so one potential way of RF entering the device (the safety ground) doesn't even exist. A shield can still be effective, even if it's connected at one end only. The idea of this thread is to test it out, not to know in advance what's going to happen.

Theory understood the right way (which is not the opposite of practice) is available to cover different views on this topic, for sure. All I'm asking is not to jump to conclusions without even evaluating which effects are predominant and which are not. So for now I just want to provide a couple of thoughts: High voltage goes through transformers with meaningful inductance when it is transformed to medium voltage and finally our low voltage grid. Concrete walls do block a certain amount of RF (otherwise WiFi signals would not be attenuated by them). A single open cable can well be a sending or receiving antenna.

We (or at least I) am not talking about 2 meters of snake oil cable magically transferring "dirty" into "clean" power. This is the kind of argument that I'd like to see not discussed here.

Admittedly, I had never heard of that brand name of that trend before. Either I didn't watch the scene closely enought during that period or it was more of a local phenomenon, I don't know.

There is a lot of unwanted emotions here although reading my position once again here

should be enough to cut off speculations.

We're all looking to make our items sound better, however with money not being an infinite resource, nor the rare earth materials required by some of products out there, I'd want to observe proof of a notable, audible improvement, as well as measurements before purchasing something power related.

We're all looking to make our items sound better, however with money not being an infinite resource, nor the rare earth materials required by some of products out there, I'd want to observe proof of a notable, audible improvement, as well as measurements before purchasing something power related.

[HUMOUR]There is one other option we've not considered.

If you believe the shielding on these power chord changes make a difference, then you could always remove the tinfoil hat you've made to save your head from 5G, etc., and fashion that into shielding for the cable. If it's enough to protect your brain from interference, it really should be good enough to protect your power supply.[/HUMOUR]

I'll get me coat... 😁

Back