Lineair power supply

For me its positive enough because its not negative. And in this low price range I only look and feel. Mechanical side is without any problems. Thats and the above mentioned reason with the dealer is fine for me. My gear, even the cheapest one as the WiiM deserve an at least mechanical good power supply.

It's a low noise SMPS like Allo Nirvana, right?
I can't find the link for the "transformer maniac" tests.
?
;-)))
(like you know well just design that mini or pro we are on a load lower than max 0.5A .. see much less in current use ...)

Additional: If anyone tells me he can hear a SONICAL difference with a WiiM and a "better" power supply I will congratulate him for his ears. And stay at least sceptic 😉
So, if the question was if ifi bring a listenable advantage my answer is no.

Additional: If anyone tells me he can hear a SONICAL difference with a WiiM and a "better" power supply I will congratulate him for his ears. And stay at least sceptic 😉
For example I have a supra 2.5spc power cable to my roksan amp/dac. It clearly made some very positive things to the sound (speed, clarity, detail). The benchmark is the stock cable.

Now, my benchmark for the wiim mini is a 5v apple charger (good as far as measurements, could be better on some metrics) . Apple charger has not something negative. I cannot test ifi at home. So either you want to "hide" that you found sonic improvements or you paid for something comparatively very expensive for no reason.

Last edited:
can be tests to do on hdg stax etc dac-amplified headphones and especially on demanding difficult acoustic music etc...
;-)

For example I have a supra 2.5spc power cable to my roksan amp/dac. It clearly made some very positive things to the sound (speed, clarity, detail). The benchmark is the stock cable.

Now, my benchmark for the wiim mini is a 5v apple charger (good as far as measurements, could be better on some metrics) . Apple charger has not something negative. I cannot test ifi at home. So either you want to "hide" that you found sonic improvements or you payed for something comparatively very expensive for no reason.
the small old original non-counterfeit 1A from apple seems a good candidate for this use indeed.. not very expensive and often abandoned at the bottom of the drawers..
will give them meaning
mini less of 0.25A
;-)

Possible only if one is faulty or through interactions with another audio components.

That's the Mini FFT spectrum on the analog output when in idle, and quite good SMPS is used:
1684915835163.png

None of those spikes are still visible when the Mini plays anything, even the dithered silence content:
1684915974582.png

To make it clear: For my "big gun" setup I spent hell of a lot for power supplies and cables! Here I CAN hear a difference.
One of the reasons I spent even for the holiday solutions a little bit more is due to a dramatic experience with cheap(est) power stuff. At least mechanical strength and electrical solidity base is a must.
But, once more, I do not believe in better sound quality when stuffing a WiiM with a ps as high as the WiiM itself.

Juste aucun pic affiché en mode veille, c'est la seule différence :
View attachment 885

Le même résultat lors de l'utilisation d'Allo Nirvana avec la sortie CC mise à la terre. Et les pointes sont réduites en mode flottant.
but the noise floor is much lower, it seems to me.. isn't it?
;-)

the small old original non-counterfeit 1A from apple seems a good candidate for this use indeed.. not very expensive and often abandoned at the bottom of the drawers..
will give them meaning
mini less of 0.25A
;-)
If it's really genuine and if you're lucky. I have 2 of those Apple chargers, both look genuine. I've measured 460 mV Vpp ripple noise for one of them and 120 mV Vpp for another one.

If it's really genuine and if you're lucky. I have 2 of those Apple chargers, both look genuine. I've measured 460 mV Vpp ripple noise for one of them and 120 mV Vpp for another one.
It is the a1400 found inside the iPhone package . You can still buy genuine, they are available.

View attachment 886

But such difference only when Mini is idle.
devious observation which allows when to note that the powerbank remains the quietest solution in this case .. but nothing new ..
an interest or not for our wiim.. I don't know...
but confirms the interest of this kind of solution for devices such as cosmos etc.
;-)

definitely need to be checked mesured before use.
between counterfeit or bad aging etc.
,-)

Back