Meet WiiM Ultra - The Digital Hub for Your Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon has really good return policy. Even after the return period is over, they generally accept return if there is a good reason.

Amazon has really good return policy. Even after the return period is over, they generally accept return if there is a good reason.

As stated previously, Amazon is not the seller, the WiiM Store is. Amazon is only handling the fulfillment. I don't see how Amazon could possibly do anything but refer you to the seller (WiiM) for any warranty or post warranty return arrangement, when you didn't actually buy it from Amazon.

@Mike in NY, you’re right because you work for Amazon, they only do fulfillment but wiim is the seller and in control of their own products. 😆

I am sharing my own experience with Amazon - Amazon as fulfillment agent. Customer reps take return if I explain reason. Maybe I have been an exception to the policy.

First post.

I have a not so simple stereo:Drodledipolene 11 Eng.jpg
The stuff in the white box is the speaker system with crossovers in DSP.
The brains is the nice little Yamaha WXC-50 Streamer-preamplifier, transparent to the other users of the stereo. They are Spotify only. :)
I've been using Slimdevices/Logitech-stuff for 16 years or so, and haven't found a better working music database. The one Yamaha provides certainly doesn't work with a deep "classical" file structure (/composer/work group/work/performers). There is a 51 years old turntable with four cartridges, a pretty CD player and a headphone amp.

I've been looking into making this ultra simple:
Drodledipolene 11 Eng WUltra.jpg
Pretty neat I think. In this thought experiment I've kept the phono amp. Those published specs for the onboard are not as good as the Cambridge Audio. Likewise I'm unsure about the Ultra's ability to drive those 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic phones.
Apart from that the Ultra should have a better performing ADC, the possibility of adding EQ to the headphones signal path, a volume level readout (nice to have when you flip a record and the Yamaha lacks that) and other nice things. The MiniDSP takes over the resampling to it's internal 24/96 (the Yamaha does 24/48 out in preamp mode).

Thoughts?

First post.

I have a not so simple stereo:View attachment 8823
The stuff in the white box is the speaker system with crossovers in DSP.
The brains is the nice little Yamaha WXC-50 Streamer-preamplifier, transparent to the other users of the stereo. They are Spotify only. :)
I've been using Slimdevices/Logitech-stuff for 16 years or so, and haven't found a better working music database. The one Yamaha provides certainly doesn't work with a deep "classical" file structure (/composer/work group/work/performers). There is a 51 years old turntable with four cartridges, a pretty CD player and a headphone amp.

I've been looking into making this ultra simple:
View attachment 8824
Pretty neat I think. In this thought experiment I've kept the phono amp. Those published specs for the onboard are not as good as the Cambridge Audio. Likewise I'm unsure about the Ultra's ability to drive those 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic phones.
Apart from that the Ultra should have a better performing ADC, the possibility of adding EQ to the headphones signal path, a volume level readout (nice to have when you flip a record and the Yamaha lacks that) and other nice things. The MiniDSP takes over the resampling to it's internal 24/96 (the Yamaha does 24/48 out in preamp mode).

Thoughts?
Hi Valentino,

Welcome on board! Please explore the built-in phono input/amplifier, headphone amplifier, subwoofer output, and bass management. These features will simplify your setup while ensuring high audio quality. Thank you!

Must be getting close to a formal product launch as the WiiM and Amazon sites have been updated, albeit with no pre-orders in the Uk on Amazon yet

So ready for my ultra now = although being in uk - seems like I'm gonna have to wait it out

One question that concerns me: If the device hits the market and poblems come to light that would actually be hardware related. How likely is it that WiiM will release a modified version in the near future? Has there ever been such a thing with past relaeses? As long as you can fix problems with firmware updates, I'm not worried about being an early adopter. But I wouldn't want to own a "hardware beta version" after a few months. :cool:

One question that concerns me: If the device hits the market and poblems come to light that would actually be hardware related. How likely is it that WiiM will release a modified version in the near future? Has there ever been such a thing with past relaeses? As long as you can fix problems with firmware updates, I'm not worried about being an early adopter. But I wouldn't want to own a "hardware beta version" after a few months. :cool:
Look what happened with Amp. There were a number of different PCB versions before they got it right with version 5! I have never understood why anyone would be an early adopter if they are paying for the product.

Look what happened with Amp. There were a number of different PCB versions before they got it right with version 5! I have never understood why anyone would be an early adopter if they are paying for the product.
They did offer to replace earlier Amps though.

One of the reasons I buy from a dealer I know since ages and who surely does not want to loose a quite good customer for a 400 € "issue". If anything fails he is my contact and has to find a solution. Knowing the guys is often the best way. And for me this remains more important than a few Euro "better" price. We have our Amazon account for Prime Video only, they offer quite often Champions League games 😉

Must be getting close to a formal product launch as the WiiM and Amazon sites have been updated, albeit with no pre-orders in the Uk on Amazon yet

Meant to say the Amazon WiiM store page shows a mockup of the L/R PEQ settings screen, but I wouldn't read too much into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back