My WiiM Pro Plus (+) tests

my point was very global and just based on my somewhat experience now.. was not particularly thinking about the practices of these "patented influencers"...
Here in Germany is a saying....not shave all with the same razor. And this "so smart and informed" global name-them-all-the-same-sort is where I have my problems. With this "patented OAs" its the same. A few of them do it right, but there are too much charlatans.

Last edited:
I am reading impressive reviews on topping e70velvet and it is better than d70. Again at 500… Very bold claim(performance comparable to 500usd dacs) by wiim and a lot of confidence in the new wiim pro plus!

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 17
I am reading impressive reviews on topping e70velvet and it is better than d70. Again at 500… Very bold claim(performance comparable to 500usd dacs) by wiim and a lot of confidence in the new wiim pro plus!
Claim hard to belive, if you think that the E70 Velvet at 499$ is a DAC only.
The Pro + at, if i remember well, 224€ is DAC & Streamer. Are they magicians? :unsure:

May be better waiting for a D70, D71, D71Mk.II, D80, D80 Pro...
They might be able to speed up each day and they surely will find their entourage 😉

Claim hard to belive, if you think that the E70 Velvet at 499$ is a DAC only.
The Pro + at, if i remember well, 224€ is DAC & Streamer. Are they magicians? :unsure:
Maybe they found more optimized methods or the differences in audible output are extremely small

Sorry, @onlyoneme for another misuse of your thread. Posting a not related but more general look from me. I do not go with you very often about importance to measure everything. But I appreciate all the (unpaid, I guess) time intensive effort you share.
Over the years I've made my peace with my obsession newer, better, more expensive. New is obsolete, better is disputable, costs are my own secret. I once lost my integrity and judged sound first, music second. But a few years ago music finally won this battle and reached the position where it all started.
My conclusion is clear. My decent standard is reached. No sensational improvements in sight.
Music I love is always good enough. Even with a BT headphone.
Music I don't like will be not my music, even if reproduced on highest end stuff.
So, do not loose yourself in the last digits of theoretically "better" new technology. Before making the step from lets say 400 to 500 for a new DAC buy new music. Or a new guitar (or at least the first part of its costs 😉)
If you start at a decent level the chance that the new item will disappoint you is bigger than reaching hifi heaven.
Wrote in the name of KI!

Last edited:
Tbh i think that this time i must jump on @Achim1811 boat. Recently i bought an SMSL 500MKIII. It costs twice my Topping D50 s. Does it sounds twice better? No. Between the two there is a slight difference in the sound signature, but very subtle.
So, was it worth spending twice the price of Topping? I could say No.
Except .... that every now and then I like a new toy. ;)

Absolutely convinced that this is related to your existing audio @Maurizio. It sounds already good. As it also would even with the internal DAC of the "old" Pro. It sounds good WITH your DAC, but it sounds good BECAUSE of your hifi.
Everyone willing to give this jewel WiiM Pro a "family" it deserves will have fun, I am sure.
An integrated amp with internal DAC in a budget range from an established manufacture like f.e. NAD, Rotel, Mission, Pioneer or Marantz. Affordable speakers (they have the most impact on sound 😇) are on the market in masses. So you have a free choice. Add the wonderful "old" Pro and you can be fine with this for a long time. And looking for improvement will stay fun. Listen more to music instead of viewing of reading reviews. Or take the chance to listen at a dealer. If that is not possible ask a dealer in your country and tell him what you want. If he is reliable and knows about the facts he will give you the time to test. Taking the easy way with Amazon is in my eyes the worst way, but that is everyone's own decision. I am happy every day that there are still companies who refuse to be on this "market".
Just this morning I've had the "joy" of listening to one of this chinois miracle amps for ≈ 120 €. An Ayima cigarette box something! A clear throw away article once it has a broken part. No one on earth will repair it. Agreed, only 120. But for the bin?
Regarding the sound quality I keep my fingers quiet. Every 300 € Marantz or other mainstreams amp performs it out by landslides.
Very suspicious is the advertising of this companies. The claim it delivers up to 300 Watt. (I remember the times where men were defined over Watt digits 😉) What to be read in the small letters is that this value needs another power supply to reach this. 48 instead of 24. Offered by the same company for another 120....I bet this impressive and fraudish Watt digits they get with 2 Ohm and one channel. Or it was only born in the marketing departments fantasy.

Last edited:
Except .... that every now and then I like a new toy.
IMO...
The performance level reached by certain electronic devices, like DAC's, is so high that is not easy catching audible differences (if any) so i find (and i like to see) instrumental tests very useful, because they can at least discover "Naked kings" and let avoid spending too much for same or even worse results.
In a typical environment, early reflections and speakers quality are far more aspect to take in count and in this case, measures are mandatory to tune room nodes in an at least satisfactory Way. Subjective reviews and "impressionist" opinions, are quite useless in those cases.
Modern dac performances are the very last ring of a chain.

Last edited:
If measuring is about room and nodes I am 100% with @merifon.
And that the DAC should be last part of the chain where improvement is to expect.
About room and nodes I sign every word of his post. That is the part where I can hear an improvement or worsening of parameters immediately.
If a modern DAC has 0,000001 difference in curves and graphs it will stay hard to prove it has impact of my listening.
(I found my uncomplicated way with MUSE. Highly recommendation for lazy and non engineers like me.)

One of the reasons to measure a DAC is to verify it the device follows the way of transparent audio reproduction, which is usually clearly shown in the synthetic tests. It's not about a buyer decision making based on the 5 dB SINAD difference, when both devices are SOTA already.

Another reason is to look for flaws in the design and implementation, and to evaluate if it can affect the audibility.

Absolutely convinced that this is related to your existing audio @Maurizio. It sounds already good. As it also would even with the internal DAC of the "old" Pro. It sounds good WITH your DAC, but it sounds good BECAUSE of your hifi.
Everyone willing to give this jewel WiiM Pro a "family" it deserves will have fun, I am sure.
An integrated amp with internal DAC in a budget range from an established manufacture like f.e. NAD, Rotel, Mission, Pioneer or Marantz. Affordable speakers (they have the most impact on sound 😇) are on the market in masses. So you have a free choice. Add the wonderful "old" Pro and you can be fine with this for a long time. And looking for improvement will stay fun. Listen more to music instead of viewing of reading reviews. Or take the chance to listen at a dealer. If that is not possible ask a dealer in your country and tell him what you want. If he is reliable and knows about the facts he will give you the time to test. Taking the easy way with Amazon is in my eyes the worst way, but that is everyone's own decision. I am happy every day that there are still companies who refuse to be on this "market".
Just this morning I've had the "joy" of listening to one of this chinois miracle amps for ≈ 120 €. An Ayima cigarette box something! A clear throw away article once it has a broken part. No one on earth will repair it. Agreed, only 120. But for the bin?
Regarding the sound quality I keep my fingers quiet. Every 300 € Marantz or other mainstreams amp performs it out by landslides.
Very suspicious is the advertising of this companies. The claim it delivers up to 300 Watt. (I remember the times where men were defined over Watt digits 😉) What to be read in the small letters is that this value needs another power supply to reach this. 48 instead of 24. Offered by the same company for another 120....I bet this impressive and fraudish Watt digits they get with 2 Ohm and one channel. Or it was only born in the marketing departments fantasy.
At the moment i’m satisfied with my setup. Pre-Ampli-Loudspeakers-DAX and WiiM Pro too. I think i have no need to change, add something. I will see what to do when it will be available the next Pro++. May be i will buy it. Curious about USB output, if it will have one.
About Amazon i agree. Never used the way buy, and if you don’t like return the object. Don’t seems,to me, a correct behaviour. I buy on Amazon, but i have never returned anything. I could do, of course, but not because i don’t like what i have bought, but in case of broken or defective device.
This is my personal though.

And the next more meta from me. A forum like this can be handled as only specialized for that dedicated theme, here the WiiM.
Over the years in a few, not so many, forums I learned that the moment when the viewing angle gets so small, leading only to that point, is the first sign of a dying horse. It circles round and round and round. Questions from newbies will be answered very soon, because for every question an answer exists already. And kind of a culture of technical masturbation starts. A longtime German analog forum died that way. And even for the obsessive writers, like me, it is getting more boring every day. (But very often this obsessive writers keep such forums alive. 😎)
WiiM forum is so new that I think it can suffer a good portion looks over the edge of the table.
Noticed yesterday that my message counter nears the 1000. That will not happen. Learned here a lot, will read further, met at least one member with whom the contact will remain. My coming move, a complete re-build of the house and of my stereo will need my presence. Time for a little digital detox. Take care. And take this as a thread: 1000 is near, but still not reached 😉

And the next more meta from me. A forum like this can be handled as only specialized for that dedicated theme, here the WiiM.
Over the years in a few, not so many, forums I learned that the moment when the viewing angle gets so small, leading only to that point, is the first sign of a dying horse. It circles round and round and round. Questions from newbies will be answered very soon, because for every question an answer exists already. And kind of a culture of technical masturbation starts. A longtime German analog forum died that way. And even for the obsessive writers, like me, it is getting more boring every day. (But very often this obsessive writers keep such forums alive. 😎)
WiiM forum is so new that I think it can suffer a good portion looks over the edge of the table.
Noticed yesterday that my message counter nears the 1000. That will not happen. Learned here a lot, will read further, met at least one member with whom the contact will remain. My coming move, a complete re-build of the house and of my stereo will need my presence. Time for a little digital detox. Take care. And take this as a thread: 1000 is near, but still not reached 😉
😥 😥😥😥😥

Back