My WiiM Pro Plus (+) tests

I have kept myself out of this debate.
I trust my ears not what someone tells me measures better.
I find it enlightening that those that insist on measuring things hardly ever appear in the “I’m listening to” thread.
Remember. Primarily it’s about the music

I find it enlightening that those that insist on measuring things hardly ever appear in the “I’m listening to” thread.
this thread was, it seems to me, essentially about the presentation of raw measurement data by onelyoneme of a pro plus entrusted to him....
everyone does what they want...
but nothing prevents others having it in test or even having the pro from coming to tell their feelings in analog...
(I only have a mini.. I can't...but I'm never hidden from preferring in analog the chromecast, even if modest too... from 2014...)
;-)

Last edited:
I guess you were speaking directly to me and trying to convince me that pasting some screens in the mentioned topic should be valuable for me. But it's not.
And it's about the satisfaction related to the audio thing. It can be the music, it can be something else.

I guess you were speaking directly to me and trying to convince me that pasting some screens in the mentioned topic should be valuable for me. But it's not.
And it's about the satisfaction related to the audio thing. It can be the music, it can be something else.
No I wasn’t actually.

Wasn't it directed at me or was it not to convince me to share screenshots of music being played?

Wasn't it directed at me or was it not to convince me to share screenshots of music being played?
No.
I might have worded it badly. Your measurements are fine and I don’t believe you are pushing them as the be all and end all but some of the audience are taking them as such.
What they seemingly misunderstand is that a digital signal is simply an electrical on or off - a 1 or a 0 - and until said signal hits a DAC it shouldn’t be mucked around with.
I’ve never been a fan of EQ in the analogue domain and even less so in the digital domain. I’ve never owned any kind of graphic equaliser and any balance, treble or bass adjustment option on an integrated amplifier is left untouched. For me it is entirely about the music.
I don’t need a load of pretty LEDs to tell me something sounds good or otherwise

I agree, in fact if you look at the latest dacs even the entry level has outstanding measurements and the difference between entry level to their top end on same company are nearly identical but when you put these dacs on listening test our ears will tell us the top gear has superior sound despite nearly identical specs. This is why I could care less on measurements and have someone use their ear to give us what the sound signature. Measured data are important to the engineer who design them but for us consumers that measurement is less important instead how the product would sound. This is just me and everyone is different. I could care less even if the dac cost a trillion dollar if that don’t sound good to my ear it has zero value.

No.
I might have worded it badly. Your measurements are fine and I don’t believe you are pushing them as the be all and end all but some of the audience are taking them as such.
What they seemingly misunderstand is that a digital signal is simply an electrical on or off - a 1 or a 0 - and until said signal hits a DAC it shouldn’t be mucked around with.
I’ve never been a fan of EQ in the analogue domain and even less so in the digital domain. I’ve never owned any kind of graphic equaliser and any balance, treble or bass adjustment option on an integrated amplifier is left untouched. For me it is entirely about the music.
I don’t need a load of pretty LEDs to tell me something sounds good or otherwise
Well, I'm a big fan of EQ and DSP to correct my room acoustics or to adjust a sound signature of my headphones to the target curve I prefer. And I don't care about being bit-perfect here. I care about measurements because I want my equipment to be sonically transparent and free of issues that could disturb my enjoyment of listening.

Well, I'm a big fan of EQ and DSP to correct my room acoustics or to adjust a sound signature of my headphones to the target curve I prefer. And I don't care about being bit-perfect here. I care about measurements because I want my equipment to be sonically transparent and free of issues that could disturb my enjoyment of listening.
That’s confused me.
You want your equipment to be sonically transparent so that you can apply EQ and/or DSP.
Surely if you are going to apply EQ/DSP it really doesn’t matter if it’s sonically transparent or otherwise?

we know how important bit perfect and how the sound engineer want them to sound. Those idea are good like only one said make necessary adjustment to suit your satisfaction and needs. There’s nothing wrong altering bit perfect just like what i normally do. To my ear bit perfect is lacking to my ear and reason I use eq and other parameter to get the sound I like personally.

That’s confused me.
You want your equipment to be sonically transparent so that you can apply EQ and/or DSP.
Surely if you are going to apply EQ/DSP it really doesn’t matter if it’s sonically transparent or otherwise?
Same here, when using dsp and eq it add distortion but how that become transparent?

That’s confused me.
Yes, I want it to be transparent, to let me correct it according to my will with minimal side effects. Applying EQ won't resolve distortions issues if they had been added by the equipment.

do you observe the same thing as onelyoneme concerning the distortion under 1k ( thd vs freq)? or an smpte? etc
thank you

Last edited:
do you observe the same thing as onelyoneme concerning the distortion under 1k ( thd vs freq)? or an smpte? etc
thank you
We tested it in our lab and shared our results with AKM engineers. Their initial feedback is they haven't done this test for their DAC IC. However, the test number looks normal to them. We'll test more DACs and share our results with them for reference. We'll keep the team posted. Thank you!

We tested it in our lab and shared our results with AKM engineers. Their initial feedback is they haven't done this test for their DAC IC. However, the test number looks normal to them. We'll test more DACs and share our results with them for reference. We'll keep the team posted. Thank you!
the thd-n vs freq measurement is very practical... the observation of the " sinad" not only at 1khz is of course very necessary... will be far too limited...

you will therefore have no difficulty finding them for many dacs etc.

thank you
IMD SMPTE is good, while not great.
REW IMD SMPTE R.92.2.png

Not that much of an issue with THD under 1kHz:
THD VS Frequency.png

Jitter is fairly contained:
Jitter.png

Multitone performance is great for the class:
Multitone 32.png

Overall, most tests show an excellent DAC implementation (while not textbook perfect AK4493 one), way better designed the original WiiM Pro.

you have the some sames measurements as onlyoneme .... a good thing a double check...both machines look similar, and the protocols substantially the same ( rme, cosmos, rew-multitones etc)

but the imd.. as especially despite your more "nice" scale, the same behavior in distortion under 1k...
compared to a lot of dac measurements, even modest ones.. we can see that this questions a little given the proportions (14db)..

surprising in view of the very correct set of other results,very clear progress against ls pro on the analog output...

but I will stop on the subject...

Last edited:
Back