My WiiM Ultra first impressions

Pretty much all the updates you will be getting will just bug fix. I heard they will provide room correction from dirac but pay license fee. Here in Wiim, updates are continues not just bug fix but feature sets for free.
Can Wiim products do high-res multi-room streaming like Bluesound Nodes?

Features We're Thinking About In Future Updates

• Multiroom of Hi-Res Audio
  • New Music Services: including YouTube Music, Idagio, SiriusXM, Nugs.net, RadioParadise, etc.
  • Play Music From Personal Cloud Storage: Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc.
  • Selectable Streaming Quality in the "Now Play" App UI

Features We're Thinking About In Future Updates

• Multiroom of Hi-Res Audio
  • New Music Services: including YouTube Music, Idagio, SiriusXM, Nugs.net, RadioParadise, etc.
  • Play Music From Personal Cloud Storage: Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc.
  • Selectable Streaming Quality in the "Now Play" App UI
If you use them as Squeezelite players then multiroom hi-res is already available 😀

As Amazon Music streamers are aware, WIIM, Bluesound and Sonus are about the only games in town.
There are a few other players in town for hi res Amazon Music like Denon/Marantz/Heos, Yamaha etc, but the best they can offer (including Bluesound) when casting from the Amazon Music app rather than their own app via the Amazon Music api is probably just lossy SD. WiiM is still the only non-echo device to allow full bit perfect casting from the Amazon music app up to 24/192 - i’d even dispute that Amazon’s own echos go beyond 24/48 which conveniently just creeps into their top UHD category.

In the Swedish site faktiskt.se they have done some sound comparisons between Ultra, eversolo dmp6, eversolo dmp6 with a modified LPS, eversolo dmp a8 and Bluesound 130 with a better LPS .

Turned out that the Eversolo dmp a6 with modified LPS was better sounding than the twice as much expensive eversolo dmp a8. The Ultra sounded better than the bluesound 130.

I don't want to dump on WIIM but there were a few cumulative negative experiences that turned me off from the start.

The device software (weird settings layout and my own difficulty navigating, a few too many 'coming soon' items, and some glitchy behavior overall) didn't feel quite ready for release. Just my opinion.

I also stumbled out of the gate getting the USB out working (took several visits to these forums). I'll own my share of that. But the cherry on top was the announcement Airplay 2 wasn't going to happen for this hardware release.

Total speculation but I thought they might put out an MKII version, perhaps quietly, perhaps soonish, that would incorporate the AP2 chip for holiday shoppers so I'd wait it out a bit with the WIIM Pro.

In steps the Node Nano which is most of what I am looking for - mature software, Amazon Music compatible, USB out, Windows/Mac app, and an external power supply.

As Amazon Music streamers are aware, WIIM, Bluesound and Sonus are about the only games in town. Sonus doesn't offer USB out and generally seems mired. I'd happily keep the Nano but the lack of USB volume control ruins some future plans. Volumio seems to be inching toward Amazon integration at some indeterminable, always forward looking date.

So it looks like the Ultra might be getting a second chance.
You will never hear from any youtube reviewer that the Ultra has big advantages regarding volume regulation . Its the same song all over again.

The advantage to have a REALLY good digital volume control through usb and spdif combined with a really good sounding PEQ is the thinks that, in practice, makes the Ultra sound better than other cheaper streamers, like the nano.

That’s the only feature you get? Hmm I rather have a feature sets here and there being added in time and most importantly it’s free.

You will never hear from any youtube reviewer that the Ultra has big advantages regarding volume regulation . Its the same song all over again.

The advantage to have a REALLY good digital volume control through usb and spdif combined with a really good sounding PEQ is the thinks that, in practice, makes the Ultra sound better than other cheaper streamers, like the nano.

If WIIM thought that volume control on USB output was an important differentiator, I would strongly encourage them to say more (something?) about it through the communication means they have. YouTubers are fine for what they offer but this doesn't fall to them. The first I'm learning about how USB volume sets the WIIM Ultra apart is in post #87 of a forum thread established for first impressions.

Since the Ultra is a new product and a new feature for WIIM, I'm quite interested in any support to the claim of USB volume being 'really good'. Not saying it isn't but if someone can point me to supporting discussion/measurements, it would be appreciated.

That’s the only feature you get? Hmm I rather have a feature sets here and there being added in time and most importantly it’s free.
So even if after two attempts you have not answered my question. For information, the answer is NO!

So even if after two attempts you have not answered my question. For information, the answer is NO!
You only ask me one thing and I gave you the answer. Not at this moment. Do node give you rc? I guess not till you pay license fee. It’s not as high priority as others so I don’t blaim them it was placed at the back burner. Wiim aim for features what matters most to their users multi room high res or peq I guess you know the answer.

If WIIM thought that volume control on USB output was an important differentiator...
Perhaps this just shows that I haven't tried enough other streamers, but the Raspberry Pi units I've been using for streaming for several years have all done digital volume control on the USB output just fine. I've never thought of it as an unusual feature. (That said, now that I have an Ultra, I've switched to its internal DAC and sold the external unit I had been using, so don't use USB anymore.)

... Good luck finding the power off button in the app.
It IS an irritant that there doesn't seem to be an "OFF" in the app or the volume/button. Only on the remote (that I don't use).
There needs to be common functionality amongst the various control methods. It's as if it were designed by committee, with nobody talking to each other.

OR IS IT in the app and I haven't discovered it yet?

Perhaps this just shows that I haven't tried enough other streamers, but the Raspberry Pi units I've been using for streaming for several years have all done digital volume control on the USB output just fine. I've never thought of it as an unusual feature. (That said, now that I have an Ultra, I've switched to its internal DAC and sold the external unit I had been using, so don't use USB anymore.)

Apart from whatever legalese might prevent streaming services from making USB audio available, the limits of whatever OS is supporting the application, strategic decisions about streamer manufacturers offering it or not, and the programming expertise of the app developers, USB audio has been around for a minute so it certainly can be done. I was thinking more like you were about it just being universally available and am just now understanding it pays to ask.

It IS an irritant that there doesn't seem to be an "OFF" in the app or the volume/button. Only on the remote (that I don't use).
There needs to be common functionality amongst the various control methods. It's as if it were designed by committee, with nobody talking to each other.

OR IS IT in the app and I haven't discovered it yet?
There is a standby mode. Otherwise I just pull the wall sockets out (I do that every night anyway)

Apart from whatever legalese might prevent streaming services from making USB audio available...
Not sure what that means. I'm not aware of any streaming service that cares how a signal is transferred from a streamer to an external DAC, whether USB, coax, optical HDMI, I2S or whatever. Those are simply equipment design choices of the respective companies that are building streamers and DACs.

For example, my first RPi 3 streamer had a HAT card that sent coax out to my DAC. Then I switched the HAT to a DAC card, and next, when I upgraded to a RPi 4, I used USB output to the DAC. Now I use the RCA analog outputs of the WiiM Ultra to my amp. All the while, all of my streaming services chugged along just fine.

There is a standby mode. Otherwise I just pull the wall sockets out (I do that every night anyway)
Standby on the remote stops the audio so my subwoofer will turn off, and the display goes dark. Where in the app can I do that?

Standby on the remote stops the audio so my subwoofer will turn off, and the display goes dark. Where in the app can I do that?
You can't do it directly but if you stop playback it will enter standby after your chosen time, minimum two minutes.

Back