Pairing WiiM Pro When Using Ethernet, Not Wi-Fi

I have the WiiM Pro app on my iPhone15, but I cast to my WiiM Pro from my Windows 10 PC because the music channel I stream from doesn't have an app-based platform, only a website. I have found that frequently the WiiM Pro needs to be re-paired when the app updates the device. This worked fine while I was on Wi-Fi, but I recently ran an ethernet cable from my WiiM to my router because Wi-Fi is so poor in my 1862 farmhouse. My streaming was then flawless -- until the very next time the WiiM updated, causing it to need re-pairing. I could not pair the WiiM with my iPhone no matter what I tried, even a factory reset. I put in a service ticket with WiiM because no forum subject addresses this issue and WiiM's "Known Issues" page says if the device is "blinking red, the device is defective and must be replaced," which my WiiM was doing when I tried to pair it. While waiting for help from WiiM support, I kept trying to pair the WiiM. After much trial and error, I realized that because the WiiM defaults to ethernet when a cable is used but needs Wi-Fi to pair and cast, maybe that's why it wasn't working. So I unplugged the ethernet cable, and then was able to pair via Wi-Fi. I plugged the ethernet cable back in, but still couldn't cast to the WiiM. So I unplugged the ethernet again, paired again via Wi-Fi, and actually began streaming via Wi-Fi. Then, and only then, I plugged the ethernet cable back into the device. Streaming instantly switched to ethernet from Wi-Fi and has been perfect ever since. Seems like this information should be included in the user manual and on the app, so I'm providing it here in hopes it will help someone else with a similar problem.

As I understand the issue, when an ethernet cable is plugged into the WiiM, streaming automatically defaults to the ethernet cable (at least that' what the user manual says and that has been my experience). What apparently also happens is that all communication via Wi-Fi is disabled, not just streaming. Hooking up to ethernet completely disables the WiiM's ability to send or receive signals (like pairing) or other communications via Wi-Fi. Therefore, since the only way the device will pair is via Wi-Fi, as long as the ethernet cable was attached, Wi-Fi was disabled and couldn't pair. As soon as I disconnected the ethernet cable, Wi-Fi was automatically re-enabled and the WiiM paired via Wi-Fi almost instantly. I reattached the ethernet cable and streaming is now seamless. I just have to remember that whenever the device must be re-paired, I must disconnect the ethernet cable to do that.

As I understand the issue, when an ethernet cable is plugged into the WiiM, streaming automatically defaults to the ethernet cable (at least that' what the user manual says and that has been my experience). What apparently also happens is that all communication via Wi-Fi is disabled, not just streaming. Hooking up to ethernet completely disables the WiiM's ability to send or receive signals (like pairing) or other communications via Wi-Fi. Therefore, since the only way the device will pair is via Wi-Fi, as long as the ethernet cable was attached, Wi-Fi was disabled and couldn't pair. As soon as I disconnected the ethernet cable, Wi-Fi was automatically re-enabled and the WiiM paired via Wi-Fi almost instantly. I reattached the ethernet cable and streaming is now seamless. I just have to remember that whenever the device must be re-paired, I must disconnect the ethernet cable to do that.
This indicates to me that the two connections are not on the same network. Maybe physically but not logically?

I do also use Ethernet and don't need to do any disconnect when updating or rebooting.

Not really sure what you mean by re-paired? It's normally a term used with Bluetooth. I guess you mean the discovery by the WiiM Home App?

When I couldn't get my player to see the app I found out Xfinity (Comcast) by default gives BOTH the 2.4 and 5G channels the same name. I had to manually give them unique names so I could determine which channel each device or app was connecting to.

I've always understood that home network protocols are quite "open" and devices should easily find a way to connect so I'm baffled why the WiiM app can't resolve this minor hurdle.

Multiple Wifi access points with same name is ok as long as they are all assigned to same logical network.

If you want to control what channel type you connect to, then you are right, they have to be renamed.

I don't think it's the issue here.

I still think that the Ethernet connection and the WiFi connection are on different networks. Maybe in a hierarchy?

After connecting the Ethernet can you still control the WiiM device from your phone (on WiFi)?

Last edited:
Back