Question about the WiiM ultras dac.

Bozzz

Is it getting the same dac that’s in the Eversolo dmp-a6? I follow news about the Eversolo streamer and one thing I hear a lot is people saying they’re not crazy about the dac in it. Just wondering if the ultra is getting the same dac. Thanks.

Is it getting the same dac that’s in the Eversolo dmp-a6? I follow news about the Eversolo streamer and one thing I hear a lot is people saying they’re not crazy about the dac in it. Just wondering if the ultra is getting the same dac. Thanks.
imo, it's mostly about the analog stage, not the dac chip itself.
Guess we need to wait for reviews / try it ourselves!

People say a lot of nonsense. In a blind test, they're very unlikely to hear the differences they claim to hear.

Is it getting the same dac that’s in the Eversolo dmp-a6?
Same dac chip but will be a different circuit design. From what I understand Eversolo have 2 ess9038q2m chips in a fully balanced circuit. WIIM Ultra from the info released has 1 feeding both channels. The chip supports both designs. I have the chip in 3 of the DACs around the house, all different makes, and have found them perfectly good for where it's in use. I deeply suspect that without the impact of marketing and reviews most people would be happy with either chip/design in their system, without using an external dac. But I have not heard either of the devices mentioned.

Last edited:
I think this might have something to do with the fact that ESS Sabre DACs are torn to shreds by some people. I can't say whether this is justified, I haven't heard one yet.

Presumably the reputation for sounding harsh comes from the past and is being spread as a legend. This then leads to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Much sense above.

This DAC chip is good enough to be transparent, and WiiM have managed transparency previously on the (cheaper) Pro Plus, so no reason (at the moment) to believe that won’t be the case here.

Back