Queue only appears to support one streaming source

tonymacprods

I'm a long standing Sonos user (more than a decade) but I've pretty much run out of patience with them so am looking at alternatives.

I have access to a Wiim mini but have noticed that it doesn't consistently allow me to build a playback queue from more than one source.

I have streaming accounts with Tidal, Amazon and Spotify and I also have a large collection (~1K albums) in flac files on a NAS (samba share) with Asset UPnP running on the NAS. Wiim is able to search and play files from Asset UPnP in my setup without issue.

When using Sonos I'd generally use the Sonos app (Android phone) to search across all of the streaming sources (including local NAS library) and simply add to the queue at will, usually I'll favour the local version of a track if I have it but most of the time I end up with a queue of tracks sourced from different streaming services along with some files from my local network (Sonos doesn't need a UPnP server since it can read SMB shares). It looks like the Wiim mini doesn't support this use case (at least not all the time...it's inconsistent).

The most frequent behaviour I see is once I've started a queue from a specific source (say Tidal) I'm only then able to add tracks to the queue from that source. As in the above example if I've started playback of a Tidal track and then run a new search and click the three dots next to an Amazon track it doesn't present me with the "play next" option but instead limits it to "View Artist" and "View Album"

Is this a known limitation ? It feels like a bug since whilst I've been writing this post I have managed to construct a queue with tracks from Tidal, Amazon and Asset UPnP however at this second the "play next" option is only available in Amazon and Asset UPnP tracks, it's not showing up for Tidal tracks 😢

I'm a long standing Sonos user (more than a decade) but I've pretty much run out of patience with them so am looking at alternatives.

I have access to a Wiim mini but have noticed that it doesn't consistently allow me to build a playback queue from more than one source.

I have streaming accounts with Tidal, Amazon and Spotify and I also have a large collection (~1K albums) in flac files on a NAS (samba share) with Asset UPnP running on the NAS. Wiim is able to search and play files from Asset UPnP in my setup without issue.

When using Sonos I'd generally use the Sonos app (Android phone) to search across all of the streaming sources (including local NAS library) and simply add to the queue at will, usually I'll favour the local version of a track if I have it but most of the time I end up with a queue of tracks sourced from different streaming services along with some files from my local network (Sonos doesn't need a UPnP server since it can read SMB shares). It looks like the Wiim mini doesn't support this use case (at least not all the time...it's inconsistent).

The most frequent behaviour I see is once I've started a queue from a specific source (say Tidal) I'm only then able to add tracks to the queue from that source. As in the above example if I've started playback of a Tidal track and then run a new search and click the three dots next to an Amazon track it doesn't present me with the "play next" option but instead limits it to "View Artist" and "View Album"

Is this a known limitation ? It feels like a bug since whilst I've been writing this post I have managed to construct a queue with tracks from Tidal, Amazon and Asset UPnP however at this second the "play next" option is only available in Amazon and Asset UPnP tracks, it's not showing up for Tidal tracks 😢
Yes, unfortunately, WiiM currently only allows the addition of queue from a single source. However, the @WiiM Team has stated that they are working on a mixed playback queue feature.

Hi tonymacprods,

Welcome Aboard!
We're currently developing the mixed queue from multiple music services, and plan to release it in late November. Please stay tuned!
Additionally, the SMB feature has been supported in WiiM devices except the WiiM Mini due to its limited memory.

Back