Reviews

3. One can couple a SSD with flac files directly to the Ultra - no power supply or NAS needed !

Maybe the last thing is the greatest option for the Ultra.
But isnt that standard operation for all streamers with a USB A-socket? Or is it it any way a better implementation on the Ultra than on other streamers?

But isnt that standard operation for all streamers with a USB A-socket? Or is it it any way a better implementation on the Ultra than on other streamers?
Many streamers below 400 dollar dont have a USB input with ability to drive 5V 1.7A , and can read the music as fast as the ultra.

What shows up? And what’s a “pro 4th gen”?

In what context - tracks, AirPlay or what?

Who’s saying you can’t use what? You said no airplay . Mine works but apple cant do 192 airplay 2 . 96khz is max same chromecast . If use wiim app in your ipad you will get 192. Tracks Albums or your stored music . Ty wish they had video chat room . Be easy to go over things . Only complaint i have is usb out does not ingage always have to repress input on dac im using smsl su _x same i found with 2 other dacs sorry if i didnt make sense

The Ultra which the link refers to does not support AirPlay even though other models in the WiiM range can.

Apple Music does have tracks up to 24/192 but playback is dependant on the hardware being used.

AirPlay 2 is only capable of 24/48, whereas Chromecast is often quoted as limited to 24/96, but my WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp can support up to 24/192 over Chromecast.

The WiiM Ultra will only see and support external DACs if they are powered on and have their usb input enabled - sounds like that’s what you’re describing with your SMSL DAC.

I think its a good review but he misses three important points:

1. The display is very useful to see the volume numbers. It can be seen from 7 meters.
2. One can use an Apple remote to control the volume for the Ultra, even when using TIDAL connect .
3. One can connect a SSD with flac files directly to the Ultra - no power supply or NAS needed !

Maybe the last thing is the greatest option for the Ultra.
A fair review I think, i also find the display too small to read from my sitting position, but overall I'm very happy with it, I think we likely all use it slightly differently, I prefer the sound from my Arcam Avr20 dac, not that I thought there was too much wrong with the dac in the Ultra.

A fair review I think, i also find the display too small to read from my sitting position, but overall I'm very happy with it, I think we likely all use it slightly differently, I prefer the sound from my Arcam Avr20 dac, not that I thought there was too much wrong with the dac in the Ultra.
Its the same for you as for me - we prefer the sound from a dac that measures poorly. With the ultra we get the sound of an almost perfect dac with a SINAD above 110 dB and the use of opa1611 on the outputs. This will not give any coloration or extra spice to the sound.

In our cases ( Rega dac R and Arcam avr20 ) its probably about 25 db less….

Look at the smaller brother Arcam avr10 reviewed by audiosciencereview .

Last edited:
Back