Room Correction Mics

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
Sorry for being a bit behind with this.

I know you can use RC with android phones now, and I believe with external mics.

Can you use external mics with an iPhone on WiiM RC? If so, which ones?

And is the WiiM RC calibrated to each mic? I know for HouseCurve you have to tell it which you’re using, and it compensates for each mic’s own profile.

Many thanks.

Sorry for being a bit behind with this.

I know you can use RC with android phones now, and I believe with external mics.

Can you use external mics with an iPhone on WiiM RC? If so, which ones?

Yes. I used both Dayton iMM-6 and 6C on my two iPads depending on their connection

And is the WiiM RC calibrated to each mic? I know for HouseCurve you have to tell it which you’re using, and it compensates for each mic’s own profile.

Many thanks.

There’s still no means of importing calibration files, but there’s a school of opinion (I think @harkpabst among them) that state that the calibration file changes are so small as not to be significant for most situations.

Last edited:
Yes. If used both Dayton iMM-6 and 6C on my two iPads depending on their connection

There’s still no means of importing calibration files, but there’s a school of opinion (I think @harkpabst among them) that state that the calibration file changes are so small as not to be significant for most situations.
on a reduced bandwidth which seems to be standard in the rc approach adopted by wiim <4kz
(as a reminder... the systematic opening of the calibration text files provided with your calibrated microphones is always interesting and easy to read... gives a fairly good idea of the effective curves at 0dg (see at 30dg :) ))
(ps bis reminder, the case of the versions on usb for 3.5mm differs because we do not know the behavior of the adc in phone or tablet, in the case of 3.5mm etc.)

Last edited:
Yes. If used both Dayton iMM-6 and 6C on my two iPads depending on their connection

Cheers. How does one use a Dayton with an iPhone, given that it’s USB-C?

Guilty of having said exactly that and I stand by it. At least under the following preconditions:
  • Use of a half decent microphone with known calibration file. Looking at the contents of this file you can see the frequency range that simply doesn't need correction.
  • Limit correction attempts to that frequency range. The configuration options for RC in the WiiM Home App are a bit hidden away, not everyone seems to take note.
  • We don't know the steepness of the weighting filter when setting the lower and upper limit. If the mic is good enough (+/- 0.5 dB certainty is) from e.g. 30 Hz to 3000 Hz, I would probably still add a 10% safety margin (setting 33 Hz to 2700 Hz).
Having said that, I'd still like to see support for importing cal files. 😇

Cheers. How does one use a Dayton with an iPhone, given that it’s USB-C?
Easy, get an iPhone 15. :p

I would expect Lightning to USB-C adapters to work with the USB version, but don't take my word for it.

The TRRS version is known to work with Apple's own 3.5 mm "adapter" (which is actually an ADC and a DAC (?), I think.

Last edited:
Guilty of having said exactly that and I stand by it. At least under the following preconditions:
  • Use of a half decent microphone with known calibration file. Looking at the content you can see the frequency range that simply doesn't need correction.
  • Limit correction attempts to that frequency range. The configuration options for RC in the WiiM Home App are a bit hidden away, not everyone seems to take note.
  • We don't know the steepness of the weighting filter when setting the lower and upper limit. If the mic is good enough (+/- 0.5 dB certainty is) from e.g. 30 Hz to 3000 Hz, I would probably still add a 10% safety margin (setting 33 Hz to 2700 Hz).
Having said that, I'd still like to see support for importing cal files. 😇

Easy, get an iPhone 15. :p

I would expect Lightning to USB-C adapters to work with the USB version, but don't take my word for it.

The TRRS version is known to work with Apple's own 3.5 mm "adapter" (which is actually an ADC and a DAC (?), I think.

I upgrade my iPhone every two years, and I’m next due a kick up in spring. the 16 will probably be out by then, so I’ll almost certainly be getting a 15 or 16.

I don’t mind the shortest. The Dayton looks like it costs c.£20, which is peanuts.

... The Dayton looks like it costs c.£20, which is peanuts.
For this reason I am skeptical that using a cheap mic without it's correction file is going to equal a $1000 flat-response lab mic.
"Good enough" probably isn't once you've painted yourselves into a corner claiming everything is perfect and transparent now.
And even if they ARE, your room isn't.
Support for importing mic calibration files should be a priority.

For this reason I am skeptical that using a cheap mic without it's correction file is going to equal a $1000 flat-response lab mic.
"Good enough" probably isn't once you've painted yourselves into a corner claiming everything is perfect and transparent now.
And even if they ARE, your room isn't.
Support for importing mic calibration files should be a priority.

As I often say, we need to get out the whole mindset of ‘it cost a lot more so it must be better.’

A ‘better’ mic might be accurate enough to spot a change in your room because you’ve moved a cushion 2 inches. That doesn’t mean you can hear the difference. And it certainly doesn’t mean no one is going to move the cushion back.

Back