Room Correction Mics

I trust it doesn't.

And this is exactly not how REW does it.

Yes, the tendencies are very similar. But the only indication I can get from that is that Dayton Audio must be wrong, if MiniDSP and REW are right.

Yes, but the effects at the extremes will be in the opposite direction. There is absolutely no reason to think that the output would be higher at the highest and the lowest frequencies. Once again, these are not dynamic microphones but condenser microphones. There's no coil and no magnet, forget about any meaningful inductance.

One follows strictly from the other, doesn't it? The act of calibration (independently of which conventions might exist for the file containing the data) is intended to counteract irregularities in the mic's sensitivity.

If people start inverting the the sign of data lines DA's cal files before using them with REW, the result could be catastrophically wrong ...
I am by going to try using a calibration file with extreme changes in AudioTool to see what it does with cal files.
Some iMM6 cal files do show the high frequency response going in the opposite direction to mine although I am pretty sure the low frequency always rolls off slightly. This is driving me mad 🤣.

HouseCurve users should be able to easily check how this app handles calibration files. Just compare a measurement with and without the calibration, then check the contents of the calibration file. I bet that positive gain numbers will be subtracted from the uncalibrated measurement.

HouseCurve users should be able to easily check how this app handles calibration files. Just compare a measurement with and without the calibration, then check the contents of the calibration file. I bet that positive gain numbers will be subtracted from the uncalibrated measurement.

I have now asked in the AudioTool discussion group as well. I know it is also possible to get a third party calibration for Dayton Audio mics so I wonder what they contain.

I have also asked Cross Spectrum Labs who sell Dayton Audio mics calibrated by themselves. So far no response from Dayton Audio.

This is interesting. AudioTool let's you view the cal file on screen and mine looks like this. It looks inverted to me.
Screenshot_20241023-122552.png

I checked. If the Dayton microphone .cal file has a negative number (-), HouseCurve raises the level (+). If the number is positive (+), then
HouseCurve lowers the level (-).

I can guess another thing. The first line probably means the volume level at which the microphone has exactly the same characteristics as in the .cal file. So before measuring, you should set the volume so that 1000 Hz is at this level. I have *1000Hz -33.4 (it depends on the shape of the target curve). So you should set the volume to -33.4 dB at 1000 Hz and then the measurement will be accurate.

Last edited:
a trick....making these observations at the DAC output...will be much easier and more effective than at the speaker output etc.
with rew mt etc and soundcard
In a few minutes you will know what to expect
;-)

Last edited:
How does that check the microphone calibration?
you checked under rew or mt etc able to fr the impact of the dayton qualification with them just a few clicks ... (you just have to margin in gain since still no autogain ... which is becoming really ridiculous ... unless you really understand nothing about the basic principles ...)

you checked under rew or mt etc able to fr the impact of the dayton qualification with them just a few clicks ... (you just have to margin in gain since still no autogain ... which is becoming really ridiculous ... unless you really understand nothing about the basic principles ...)
We know REW subtracts calibration files. Dayton Audio have twice said that the calibration data should be added. The general consensus is their tech support is wrong. Hopefully the guys producing the calibration files know what they are doing.

We know REW subtracts calibration files. Dayton Audio have twice said that the calibration data should be added. The general consensus is their tech support is wrong. Hopefully the guys producing the calibration files know what they are doing.
it seems to me that the wiim support had finally put forward the solution of the little daytons..i hope that they communicate a little between them...even there is still no integration of the cal micro in wiim

AudioTool shows well. It doesn't show the microphone value from the .cal file, only the microphone correction based on the .cal file. A fragment of my file and a screenshot of AudioTool:

*1000Hz -33,4

20,00 -3,3
20,55 -3,3
21.11-3.2
21,69 -3,1
22,29 -3,0
22,90 -3,0
23,53 -3,0
24,18 -2,9
24,84 -2,8
25,52 -2,7
26,22 -2,5
26,94 -2,4
27,68 -2,4
28,44 -2,4
29,22-2,3
30.03 -2.1
30,85 -2,0
31,70 -1,8
32,57 -1,6
33,46 -1,4
34,38 -1,4
35,33 -1,3
36,30 -1,2
37,29 -1,1
38,32 -0,9 (...)

narzędzie audio dayton cal.png

That's why it may seem upside down. Now everything is clear :)

Last edited:
Back