Roon is eh

Ptchfork

Am I the only one totally unimpressed by Roon?

I am currently using Symfonium on a tablet to Chromecast from my plex server. The interface in the App is a million times better better, it imports my tags and the sound quality is almost equal.

I gave roon a try, had a nightmare trying allowing it to work through my firewall, but I doubt I'm going to keep it.

Last edited:
Yes totally agree, but the Roon interface is nowhere near symfonium . I just wish Roon would step up in that category

Last edited:
Ok, it is all about personal taste. And as long as it satisfies you it is fine.
Edit: I always be sceptic with this absolute statements like A is much better than B!

Last edited:
All about taste and what you want. Personally I don’t want to curate myself from tags I let Roon do it and give me the extra breadcrumbs to discover new music. It does multiroom better than anything else and works across a lot of different kit and protocols. But we all make our choices based on what works for us. Annoyingly nothing beats it yet for me, it’s not perfect and support has gone to pot, but I’m in it until something better comes along that ticks all my boxes. I have LMS as a backup but never use it anymore feels too dated for me, and Plex but this is for video and music on the go via PlexAmp when Roon ARC fails. But would never use it all the time as it can’t play to me hifi other than via Airplay.

Roon has a lot more features and supports more platforms. You have a to have a server on your LAN, which could be a plus or a minus depending on your setup.

I think it is more a matter of personal preference which UI you prefer.

Apple is the easiest for background music. YouTube Music is the best if you want to watch videos with your music. Plex is excellent all around. Idagio is best for classical by far, but doesn't support anything else. Qobuz is good for jazz and has their magazine and music news. Tidal isn't the best at anything but the "My Mixes" are really good. Spotify is best for sharing with your friends. Audio Player Pro has the best sound quality on Android devices but the UI is clunky.

And there are lots more, all with their fans and detractors ...

Back