Switch to TIDAL connect !

Musician

All of you who are dissapointed that the Ultra wont have the lossy airplay 2, try switch to TIDAL connect - much better convenience and a better sound . I dont regret my switch .

Last edited:
Tidal connect it's one of the main reasons to use Tidal, instead of qobuz and amazon music or any third part app. Lossyness of Airplay, should be enough to keep off from Apple Music... 😎

Tidal connect it's one of the main reasons to use Tidal, instead of qobuz and amazon music or any third part app. Lossyness of Airplay, should be enough to keep off from Apple Music... 😎
Amazon Music has AlexaCast, which works perfectly and is integrated in the Amazon Echo system.

Yes. Apple Music with AirPlay two is only 256 kbit at best , its not bitcorrect , its not hifi .

Apple had airplay 1 before ( long time ago ) and it was bitcorrect 16 bit 44,1 kHz .
This is not the case with airplay 2 .

The TIDAL connect function is very stable on the WiiM pro.

Definitely this is the service to use if you have WiiM devices.. its a no brainer.. I used Apple Music before and when I got my WiiM Amp, which does support Airplay 2 flawlessly, however the sound quality and bitrate you get with Tidal convinced me pretty quickly to transfer my over 30 playlists and switch completely.

for users who definitely want to stick with Apple Music.. look for Sonos, Apple speakers or get an Apple TV as streamer.

Definitely this is the service to use if you have WiiM devices.. its a no brainer.. I used Apple Music before and when I got my WiiM Amp, which does support Airplay 2 flawlessly, however the sound quality and bitrate you get with Tidal convinced me pretty quickly to transfer my over 30 playlists and switch completely.

for users who definitely want to stick with Apple Music.. look for Sonos, Apple speakers or get an Apple TV as streamer.
Switched to Qobuz for the quality reasons like yourself never used AirPlay even though I have Sonos speakers
But due to Sonos update policy and company direction bought a WiiM mini and have it plugged into my Sonos 5 line in much prefer the WiiM application 👍

As exemple, my Nad C3050LE can be driven directly by Tidal connect and not by Amazon Music app nor Qobuz...
I found also Amazon Music less functional than tidal so my choice was undoubtedly...
I have Amazon, included with Prime. I use Spotify. I listen mostly to classical, and have discovered reams of old music, baroque and older, that I never knew about. Dozens and dozens of composers I never heard of.

Spotify has assimilated me. I resisted their suggestions for months, but they kept learning about my preferences and finally hooked me.

Whatever your preference, it should be about music, and not about vanishingly marginal differences in sound quality.

I vote for the service that does the best job of helping me find stuff I like.

Last edited:
Whatever your preference, it should be about music, and not about vanishingly marginal differences in sound quality.
You're right. But after deep and long testing of all services (marginally Apple Music), I found:
- generally not big differences in sound quality but sometimes they are slightly earable, anyway bias proof, in favour to Tidal and Qobuz.
- no significant differences in overall catalogue.
- interesting suggestions by Tidal, less mainstream and very effectives.
- lyrics management by Tidal, far better than others.
- good devices compatibility with tidal connect, even if not at Spotify level.
Given al those considerations, Tidal was the best choice for me and music has always the main focus. Obviously anyone can make its own decisions, better after deep test of all services...

Last edited:
I have Amazon, included with Prime. I use Spotify. I listen mostly to classical, and have discovered reams of old music, baroque and older, that I never knew about. Dozens and dozens of composers I never heard of.

Spotify has assimilated me. I resisted their suggestions for months, but they kept learning about my preferences and finally hooked me.

I vote got the service that does the best job of helping me find stuff I like.
I also picked Qobuz for content and the fact it’s atmos free😜

You're right. But after deep and long testing of all services (marginally Apple Music), I found:
- generally not big differences in sound quality but sometimes they are slightly earable, anyway bias proof, in favour to Tidal and Qobuz.
- no significant differences in overall catalogue.
- interesting suggestions by Tidal, less mainstream and very effectives.
- lyrics management by Tidal, far better than others.
- good devices compatibility with tidal connect, even if not at Spotify level.
Given al those considerations, Tidal was the best choice for me and music has always the main focus. Obviously anyone can make its own decisions, better after deep test of all services...
How people view user interfaces would make an interesting discussion.

How easy is it to find things on the various services. How do they enable you to find music you like, but haven’t heard before.

How people view user interfaces would make an interesting discussion.

How easy is it to find things on the various services. How do they enable you to find music you like, but haven’t heard before.
Obviously they categorize songs following parameters they set and preferences you choose when activated try out subscription. Then your searches refine those parameters.
Results are matter of taste but I can say Tidal surprised me more than Spotify. If you rely only on suggestions, without explorations, any service starts to go around always on the same catalogue.

All of you who are dissapointed that the Ultra wont have the lossy airplay 2, try switch to TIDAL connect - much better convenience and a better sound . I dont regret my switch .
One thing I love about Qobuz. Is on my stereo at home I 99% off the time I listen to classical and jazz. I can just have Qobuz show me those genres. Although tidal recommendations do a decent job also.

One thing I love about Qobuz. Is on my stereo at home I 99% off the time I listen to classical and jazz. I can just have Qobuz show me those genres. Although tidal recommendations do a decent job also.
Okay, so Spotify was a gift, and I like it. I haven’t compared it to anything except Amazon.

I haven’t found genres useful. Spotify led me to genres I didn’t know existed. Or, if I vaguely knew they existed, never thought about.

Airplay is not only there to be able to listen to Apple Music. It allows streaming from other apps that don't have a native "connect" protocol like SoundCloud or Bandcamp. It can also stream system - wide audio from an iOS device or Mac. It would be the same thing as if they dropped Chromecast support.

Airplay is not only there to be able to listen to Apple Music. It allows streaming from other apps that don't have a native "connect" protocol like SoundCloud or Bandcamp. It can also stream system - wide audio from an iOS device or Mac. It would be the same thing as if they dropped Chromecast support.

WiiM didn´t decide to drop Airplay from its new devices, Apple is the owner of the Airplay certifications and solely decides to which brands devices it provides it to. So, there are 2 choices.. if Airplay is too important in your life stick to Apple hardware or Sonos, or, like the title of this post, switch to something better.

WiiM didn´t decide to drop Airplay from its new devices, Apple is the owner of the Airplay certifications and solely decides to which brands devices it provides it to. So, there are 2 choices.. if Airplay is too important in your life stick to Apple hardware or Sonos, or, like the title of this post, switch to something better.
I'm just saying that Tidal is not an alternative for Airplay and vice versa.

I'm not even an iPhone user, but appreciated Airplay to stream my MacBook's system audio now and then.

"Just switch to Sonos" why? That's probably the worst solution to give on a WiiM forum. There's still the Pro and Mini.

Back