Turntable not very loud, recommendations if Phono Preamp may help?

I use this https://shop.project-audio.com/product/phono-box/ with my WiiM as my vintage turntable in the WiiM amp room has no phono stage.

I have had no issues with gain. Perhaps this will help you?
Even if the output is loud enough for you, this is not necessarily the case with a different cartridge. The Phono Box as 40 dB of gain. A little better than what's built into the AT turntable, for sure. But more would obviously be better. The output voltage of the AT VM95 series is on the lower end of what's normal.

Even if the output is loud enough for you, this is not necessarily the case with a different cartridge. The Phono Box as 40 dB of gain. A little better than what's built into the AT turntable, for sure. But more would obviously be better. The output voltage of the AT VM95 series is on the lower end of what's normal.
FWIW I have always found that the phono input of any amp is quieter than line level inputs. With a normal amp you can just wind the volume control up. The gain structure of the WiiM amp combined with the input range of the line input means you can't always achieve a high enough volume.
I wonder if the input voltage range could be made switchable.

FWIW I have always found that the phono input of any amp is quieter than line level inputs. With a normal amp you can just wind the volume control up. The gain structure of the WiiM amp combined with the input range of the line input means you can't always achieve a high enough volume.
I wonder if the input voltage range could be made switchable.
Two ways to do it:
  • Change the hardware and introduce switches for different gain settings (could be electrical switches, not necessarily manual hardware)
    This is definitely more complex and would increase costs for all, bringing potential benefit for some. A wrongly chosen setting could result in severe clipping, potentially damaging amps or speakers.
  • Allow some digital gain
    Fast and easy to implement, but we would loose some resolution/add noise. Again, a wrongly chosen setting could overdrive the chain.
So far WiiM have chosen the gain structure of the Amp to be absolutely on the safe side.

There are other threads with people having the same volume issues with turntables.

I have a U-Turn Orbit and the built-in Pluto 2 preamp has a gain of 40 dB. When switching between the line-in and streaming, the turntable was noticeably quieter than streaming input, which was not the case on my previous amp. I bought a Schiit Mani 2, which has adjustable gain settings, set it to 48 dB, and it's much better. It can also go up to 60, but I don't think I'll need that much.

Unable to check right now, but I thought the pre-gain was only introduced in the Ultra? If I had known that was coming to the Wiim Amp as a potential fix I wouldn't have bought a new phono pre-amp!

You are correct it’s just the Ultra at the moment, but I don’t see anything that would suggest it’s not coming to other models, nor can I think why it wouldn’t. I’ll raise a ticket to WiiM and ask

Back