Two Pro Plus devices

Your recap is sound (pun intended).
As for the 2nd part, re. Yamaha sound signature, I can't comment I'm afraid.
I can only say that it seems like a number of users on this forum seem to be quite happy with their TT going via their wiim pro plus - but whether that's because they are still using their TT line out (so internal to TT phono stage) or the same (external) phono stage as before I don't know.

Microphone? Measure the sound?
Yes, since you are only comparing Yamaha and WiiM sounds, you can also measure with the phone's built-in microphone. If you are interested, please give it a try. 🙂

Microphone? Phone app? Measure the sound? Overlay? Sweep tone?
Can you elaborate a bit more?
Thank you.

Microphone? Phone app? Measure the sound? Overlay? Sweep tone?
Can you elaborate a bit more?
Thank you.
I may just be complicating your situation 😅, but I'll be a rough answer to the question.

As shown, measure the sounds of systems A and B respectively and compare the two. If you like the tone of system A, the goal is to bring the tone of B closer to A. Keep in mind that this is a facile way to reproduce your preferred sound on other systems, and is a bit different from the usual purpose of PEQ.

The sound source and measurement app I used here.
[Android app] Sound Analyzer
*I don't have an iPhone, so I don't know the iOS app, but I think you can probably use the "HouseCurve app".

The sound source is Spotify's 20hz-20khz Sweep. I'm sure other streaming services have the same thing. I played this song from 0:00~0:20.
1000000295.jpg

First, fix your phone on the listening position. It is important not to move.
I use a stand like this to fix my phone at ear level.
1000000296.jpg

And play the music on system A and measure it with the app. In the same way, system B is measured. It is better if there is no one in the room during the measurement. If it is difficult, stay in the corner of the room.

Save a screenshot of the two measurement results and compare them.

1000000293.jpg

My guess is that there is little difference between systems A and B. Therefore, I don't think PEQ correction is necessary. However, if the results are different, only the parts where there is a noticeable difference between A and B are corrected.

This is the value of the WiiM PEQ that was set to correct the sound of B. Here I'm adjusting the two bands.

1000000294.jpg

If you find it difficult to play Sweep tone on TT, you can play the music you usually listen to. It is a good idea to choose a song with a wide range from bass to treble.

Future "room correction" to WiiM could transform your listening experience. At that time, these measurements may be wasted, so I apologize first.😅

EDIT;
iPhone's built-in microphone may not be able to pick up bass (below 60Hz) accurately. If you want more accurate measurements, you need an external microphone.

Last edited:
Back