Two Pro Plus devices

Almost.
Both, the Nikko and the Yamaha are “old” as in vintage analog receivers.
2 speaker sets/groups.
The Q500 and the sub are the main speaker group, driven by the R-2000.
The Minimus 7 are the secondary speaker group, driven by the Nikko.
The LSX were meant to (wirelessly) replace the (wired) Minimus (I may add more WiFi speakers to that group later).

I want both groups/sets of speakers to play the same audio at the same time, which they currently do with all speakers wired. But I’d like the second group to be connected wirelessly (WiFi).
Since the Minimus are passive, I will have to either replace them with WiFi speakers (like the LSX or similar), or with powered (or active) speakers with the W3 (or a Mini) added so they can receive wireless.

Last edited:
Almost.
2 Groups.
The Q500 and the sub are the main speaker group, driven by the R-2000.
The Minimus 7 are the secondary speaker group, driven by the Nikko.
The LSX were meant to (wirelessly) replace the (wired) Minimus (I may add more WiFi speakers to that group later).

Ok, maybe inching closer then. So if I’m following you, all your sources will feed the Nikko, from which you could take an analog/tape output into the first WiiM, which would then play to the LSX speakers over Airplay (or optical if one is close enough to the WiiM). If you then wirelessly group that WiiM with the second WiiM which is feeding your Yamaha/Q500s, then the same audio that is feeding the first WiiM will then be distributed to the second.

Edit: doing it this way, you arguably could still have the Nikko playing to Minimus speakers while simultaneously feeding the signal out over its tape out to the WiiM and LSXs.

Oh, and I was also hoping to do all of this with just the R-2000 and get rid of the Nikko.
But if the solution involves keeping the Nikko, I won’t mind that too much - it’s a great receiver.

Ok, maybe inching closer then. So if I’m following you, all your sources will feed the Nikko, from which you could take an analog/tape output into the first WiiM, which would then play to the LSX speakers over Airplay (or optical if one is close enough to the WiiM). If you then wirelessly group that WiiM with the second WiiM which is feeding your Yamaha/Q500s, then the same audio that is feeding the first WiiM will then be distributed to the second.

Edit: doing it this way, you arguably could still have the Nikko playing to Minimus speakers while simultaneously feeding the signal out over its tape out to the WiiM and LSXs.
Let me digest all of that for a bit. Thank you!

Oh, and I was also hoping to do all of this with just the R-2000 and get rid of the Nikko.
But if the solution involves keeping the Nikko, I won’t mind that too much - it’s a great receiver.
Ok, if your sources aren’t feeding the Nikko/Minimus, we can flip it round.

In that case, let the first WiiM be the device to which you attach your sources (albeit you may need to just plug in the ones you want at any one time ) with its output then feeding the Yamaha/Q500s. Alternatively, plug all your sources into the Yamaha and take a line out into the first WiiM. Then in the WiiM app, link that first WiiM with the second WiiM which is feeding the LSXs over airplay/optical. Then whatever is being played at the Yamaha end will also be played at the LSX end.

I see where you’re going with this. Thank you.
I’ll try some of the suggested solutions.
Curious to find out if I get any delay issues, and if I’ll still get the Yamaha’s sound signature I like.

Btw. the LSX’s WiFi has been terribly spotty (just like some reviews suggested) and the delay has been unbearable, at least with what I have tried so far. That may introduce its own problem when testing the above suggested.
Maybe one of the suggested solutions will solve for some of that and open up their sound. Who knows. We shall see…

One more question for you, Brantome:
In your solutions, is the second Wiim physically attached to anything, or just wirelessly grouped with the first Wiim only?
How do I tell the second Wiim to just be a ADC transmitter? I thought one has to pick an output in the app.
If that makes sense…

One more question for you, Brantome:
In your solutions, is the second Wiim physically attached to anything, or just wirelessly grouped with the first Wiim only?
How do I tell the second Wiim to just be a ADC transmitter? I thought one has to pick an output in the app.
If that makes sense…
By dint of grouping one WiiM device with one or more other WiiM devices, you’re saying that you want the audio it’s playing to be sent to the others as well. The first one can have its output set to anything, even an output to which nothing is connected. Actually you might want its output connected to the Yamaha (if that’s the option we’re discussing) when you’re using the Wiim’s own audio services rather than one of your other physical sources.

To be honest I’m a bit confused again.
That’s embarrassing. Sorry!

Maybe we have to just list things as follows:

— All sources feeding the Yamaha

— Wiim 1 - used as audio service player source and DAC, connected via its Aux out to Yamaha (Aux in or Tape Playback) also

— Yamaha wired to the Q500s and the sub

— Yamaha Aux out (or Tape Rec) to what… the Wiim 2?!

— Wiim 2 linked with Wiim 1

— Wiim 2 - used as transmitter and ADC, wirelessly feeding the LSX

I obviously got something wrong here. Linking the Wiim’s doesn’t make sense if we have all sources (including Wiim 1) going to the Yamaha first, right?

And we couldn’t just have the Yamaha feed back to the Wiim 1 instead, as the Wiim 1 is already used as a player/DAC and can’t receive (in) and send/feed (out) at the same time if I’m not mistaken.

In case that wasn’t clear, I do would like to be able to play all sources, including music streaming services, on the Q500s/sub and the wireless speakers simultaneously.

To be honest I’m a bit confused again.
That’s embarrassing. Sorry!

Maybe we have to just list things as follows:

— All sources feeding the Yamaha

— Wiim 1 - used as audio service player source and DAC, connected via its Aux out to Yamaha (Aux in or Tape Playback) also

— Yamaha wired to the Q500s and the sub

— Yamaha Aux out (or Tape Rec) to what… the Wiim 2?!

— Wiim 2 linked with Wiim 1

— Wiim 2 - used as transmitter and ADC, wirelessly feeding the LSX

I obviously got something wrong here. Linking the Wiim’s doesn’t make sense if we have all sources (including Wiim 1) going to the Yamaha first, right?

And we couldn’t just have the Yamaha feed back to the Wiim 1 instead, as the Wiim 1 is already used as a player/DAC and can’t receive (in) and send/feed (out) at the same time if I’m not mistaken.

In case that wasn’t clear, I do would like to be able to play all sources, including music streaming services, on the Q500s/sub and the wireless speakers simultaneously.
No problem, let me absorb that and I’ll see if I can quickly knock up a diagram if I can find some suitable software…

Your goal seems to be to get everything playing via the Yamaha so that everything has that sound signature.
Not going to happen without sync issues.
If the two wiims are synched (wiim group) then wiim 2 will not be "listening" to the Yamaha, its source will be wiim 1.

Your goal seems to be to get everything playing via the Yamaha so that everything has that sound signature.
Not going to happen without sync issues.
If the two wiims are synched (wiim group) then wiim 2 will not be "listening" to the Yamaha, its source will be wiim 1.
Why sync issues if the WiiM devices are grouped "to play syncronously" as per the app screen, and if WiiM 2 is using its optical out into the LSX?

Why sync issues if the WiiM devices are grouped "to play syncronously" as per the app screen, and if WiiM 2 is using its optical out into the LSX?
No issues if wiim 1 is the source, but wiim 2 is not getting the Yahama sound signature which was the original ask.

Sync Issues for any other source into the Yamaha.
e.g. cd into yamaha and out to main speakers.
Tape out to wiim 1, which, as it is grouped with wiim 2, will introduce somewhere around 0.5 secs delay into wiim 2's output to other speakers.

Last edited:
And if there were any issues with WiiM 1 buffering before sending the audio to WiiM 2, could you just feed the sources into WiiM 1 rather than the Yamaha?

Guess the OP can but try the options above and see whether it meets all, some or none of their wishes, hopes and desires ;) :)

Back