Ultra controlling external DAC volume

Zrgwa

Hello everyone,
I am using Wiim Ultra with USB connected external DAC (Topping DX5 lite). I am wondering whether it is possible to achieve a setup where I only control volume of the DAC with Wiim remote. I know some USB sound cards allow for the host to be controlling their output (for example with keyboard controls), but I cannot figure it out in this particular case. Thanks!

Doesn't setting the ultra to variable output work for you?
Works for me on two different usb dacs I've tried.

Hello everyone,
I am using Wiim Ultra with USB connected external DAC (Topping DX5 lite). I am wondering whether it is possible to achieve a setup where I only control volume of the DAC with Wiim remote. I know some USB sound cards allow for the host to be controlling their output (for example with keyboard controls), but I cannot figure it out in this particular case. Thanks!
Sure you can. My main set up
Is Wiim Ultra to dac via USB. Dac to preamp and preamp to monoblocks. However my preamp has some issues rn so Im using the Ultra as a digital preamp. It works. I dont want to turn this post into an argument wherther analog or digital volume control makes a difference bot just stste you can use the feature and it works

Doesn't setting the ultra to variable output work for you?
Works for me on two different usb dacs I've tried.
The new update where usb support multiple dac was great. I have 3 dacs connected via usb hub.

The new update where usb support multiple dac was great. I have 3 dacs connected via usb hub.
My current solution to that is to have the amp pro usb to one dac and the ultra usb to another.
Both on my desktop, and in a group.
Simply unplug my headphones from one to the other, or two sets of headphones, 1open backed, 1 closed backed, in each.

With a single dac attached the ultra screen shows you what it is, e.g. it shows 'rme adi' for me.
What's shown when using a hub with multiple dacs attached?
I know, I could just try it myself...

My current solution to that is to have the amp pro usb to one dac and the ultra usb to another.
Both on my desktop, and in a group.
Simply unplug my headphones from one to the other, or two sets of headphones, 1open backed, 1 closed backed, in each.

With a single dac attached the ultra screen shows you what it is, e.g. it shows 'rme adi' for me.
What's shown when using a hub with multiple dacs attached?
I know, I could just try it myself...
It say usb smsl, usb topping, usb schiit. I’m not sure if @adias or @slartibartfast said usb sound better. I now agree on them. All 3 dacs usb sound superior over their spdif. It was an immediate and noticeable.

Last edited:
Back