What external DAC to improve the Ultra?

Especially if the comparison takes ages to switch from one to another device and get the same track listening point... 😎
That's really not the point, but just a matter of the right setup for comparison.

If there is an audible difference but you can only detect it under certain circumstances, then it still is a difference. If one is "better" than the other is another question.

That's really not the point, but just a matter of the right setup for comparison.

If there is an audible difference but you can only detect it under certain circumstances, then it still is a difference. If one is "better" than the other is another question.
The point was that if there are very subtle differences, they are "dazed and confused" by the coarse and not so long lasting aural memory. I don't know how many reported self tests, are set to instant comparison...
I can easily remember and tell how two different speakers set sound, even waiting for switching the connection. Lot harder speak about similar dac and they nuances, without set up a sistem to change them quite instantly.
For example, I have a lot of doubts about those who claim that there are huge differences between power cables, after a very long replacement process.
However, the measures have the advantage of saving time, at least avoiding taking into consideration devices, with serious shortcomings and despite the price, there are... 😎

Lot harder speak about similar dac and they nuances, without set up a sistem to change them quite instantly.
I'm completely with you on that. But what I can imagine is the following: Things that sound totally similar when you switch directly could give you a different auditory impression in the long term. That doesn't make comparisons any easier. Just a theory.

Back