USB retaining deleted files

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
Okay, I'm getting stuck in to using a USB drive, and I've got a problem. Short version first, then read on for the full version if you so choose.

SHORT VERSION

I had a JPEG used as a folder icon (it worked) which I've now replaced, but even after clearing caches, etc., it's still showing.

LONG VERSION

I wanted to try a particular folder structure on the USB drive. It involved all artists being put into folders by alphabet. So I had an 'A' folder for 'Abba', 'Adele', 'Arctic Monkeys', etc., Then a 'B' folder for 'Beatles, The', 'Beautiful South, The', Bush, Kate', etc.

Then I split releases down into folders for 'Albums', 'Singles', EPs' for some artists, but not for others (where I felt there were too few releases to be necessary). Then every double album or boxed set would have its own folder, with separate folders for 'Disc 1', 'Disc 2', etc.

I only tried this out with a few dozen releases, just to see if it worked.

For the first layer (letter folders) I just stuck in the folder pic of the first artist, so the 'A' folder got a pic of Adele. All the other letter folders had no pic. as I was just trying it out. Similar with everything else, some folders had pics, some didn't.

Anyway, it worked. The new structure, multi-layered, different layers, etc.

So then, I set to work creating the whole lot; effectively all the CD rips I have which aren't available on streaming, or have updated mixes on streaming where I prefer the old mix on the CDs.

I found I didn't need a letter folder for every letter of the alphabet, and I could limit each letter folder to 7 artists (as that's roughly what will fit on my phone screen in the app without scrolling up and down). So folder 1 was 'A-B', etc. Instead of an artist pic I created bespoke images saying "A-B", etc.

I took my pen drive out of the Ultra, and I wiped it. Deleted everything. Not just the cache folders, but all folders, restarting with a completely empty drive.

I put the new music library on to the stick, put it back in the Ultra (actually in a powered hub connected to the Ultra), and let the library build.

When I turned everything on, and it'd all finished setting up, I went to folder view in my phone. And whilst all the other letter folders had to correct bespoke letting image showing, the first folder 'A-B' had a pic of Adele. There's not even any Adele on the drive!

So question 1, how do I fix this?

Question 2 (an answer to which might answer question 1), where is this Adele pic? Did it somehow escape the deletion/wiping of the drive? Is it still on my PC somewhere? Is it in the actual Ultra?

Over to you, hive mind.

Try deleting the app and re-installing it in case it is in an app cache. I have a bug in the iPad app that it sometimes gets stuck on one cover image and doesn’t change - not sure if that’s just a LMS/Ultra bug as that’s what I tend to use almost all the time. Might be related to your issue or not…

Try deleting the app and re-installing it in case it is in an app cache. I have a bug in the iPad app that it sometimes gets stuck on one cover image and doesn’t change - not sure if that’s just a LMS/Ultra bug as that’s what I tend to use almost all the time. Might be related to your issue or not…

Cheers. I presume doing so won't delete my settings, etc.

YEAH! That worked, first time.

Many thanks.

Back