USB Song Indexing Issues

It could be pulling metadata from the file during playback, but I wouldn't expect it to do that.

I'd have a look in the database (files.db) to see if anything jumps out at you.

Have you sent feedback from the WiiM app?
I think we concluded a while ago that the cover art is pulled from the file at play time didn't we? Quite possible the other metadata is also.

I think we concluded a while ago that the cover art is pulled from the file at play time didn't we? Quite possible the other metadata is also.
There was a request from a user of MiniDLNA to pull artwork from the file being served (which was implemented), but this is related to metadata, and I assume the smb implementation.

WiiM support have escalated this issue to the engineering team.

Last edited:
I literally just started "re-saving" the existing ID3 tags again and when I erased the WIIM cache folder and re-scanned, to my amazement, all the ones I re-saved were now showing the proper information
Interestingly, you assert that this is evidence of some "super-touchy and a little peculiar" issue with the WiiM Ultra Firmware but NOT consider that you made no effort to determine what changes your ID3 Editor was making (beside the Year-data edit). The original (old) Metadata should be at least equally suspect, unless you are insisting that the WiiM Ultra needs to be more accommodating of likely poor-quality Metadata.
Once you identified that you could effect the outcome of the WiiM Metadata Colection with your ID3 Editor, you could have reviewed some Before/After versions of your ID3 Editor output (would actually require a byte-wise comparator as so much is lost in the process of readying data for display). You might have found the older Tags had Nulls or UTF-8 or Padding or any of a number of ills that are not readily visible in a casual display. And finding any such pattern would then be rather useful to the WiiM Development Team.

I had the same issue with my 63,000+ song USB HD when I cataloged it the first time. It was showing UNKNOWN like the original post.

Apparently my original data included both ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tags. I used a program MP3tag to remove the ID3v1 tags and now it catalogs properly on the WiiM Ultra.

Now I need to figure how to get some album art that is missing from some songs. This is not a WiiM issue.

I had the same issue with my 63,000+ song USB HD when I cataloged it the first time. It was showing UNKNOWN like the original post.

Apparently my original data included both ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tags. I used a program MP3tag to remove the ID3v1 tags and now it catalogs properly on the WiiM Ultra.

Now I need to figure how to get some album art that is missing from some songs. This is not a WiiM issue.
Mp3tag is an extremely robust and reliable tool for managing tags, indeed.

My personal favourite is MusicBee. It can manage your entire music library, retrieve album art, generate tags from file names and file names from tags and much, much more. Plus it's free. It does require some initial learning, though.

Back