Warning: avoid purchasing Sonos

castalla

Major Contributor
Sonos introduced a new app on 7 May. Since then there have been 1000s of posts complaining that the update is broken. Numerous users can't access their devices. Sonos have ignored all negative comments insisting the app is functional. Many users have or are threatening to dump their equipment. Sonos shares are on a slide.

Purchase new Sonos devices at your own risk. This also includes Ikea Symfonisk units - they fail to install.

Buy Wiim - Boycott Sonos!

Sonos introduced a new app on 7 May. Since then there have been 1000s of posts complaining that the update is broken. Numerous users can't access their devices. Sonos have ignored all negative comments insisting the app is functional. Many users have or are threatening to dump their equipment. Sonos shares are on a slide.

Purchase new Sonos devices at your own risk. This also includes Ikea Symfonisk units - they fail to install.

Buy Wiim - Boycott Sonos!
It seems that a once-in-a-decade opportunity has arrived....do I need to advertise WiiM on the Sonos forum?😂

It seems that a once-in-a-decade opportunity has arrived....do I need to advertise WiiM on the Sonos forum?😂
Sadly, most Sonos users seem plug'n'play fans. It has been quite sad to see how they are being treated with contempt. Wherever appropriate I pointed some to Wiim as a solution for their woes.
I'm staying clear now as the Sonos plane goes down in flames! ✈️🔥

hyperbolic meaning https://g.co/kgs/YcG1CND

Boeing still exists, and some of their products have literally done that.
My ikea Symfonisk Frame is playing away happily connected via Lyrion Music Server.

You have to experience the new Sonos software to really appreciate what a total disaster it is, and Guru Spence claims it only a matter of time for users to become true converts.

He ignores the fact that 100s (possibly 1000s) can't even get their devices to install. They must be faithless non-believers then, as all Sonos staff have been using the app flawlessly since Christmas!

If this is truly an existential threat to their business model, they will fix what needs to be fixed.
They should roll back to the previous app until the new one works. Although the Sonos staff have all been using it since Christmas and can't understand what all the fuss is about 🤔

If this is truly an existential threat to their business model, they will fix what needs to be fixed.
Not on current performance. The app was announced as fully functional. It was not - lots of existing features were removed or just didn't work. A subsequent update basically fixed alarms - and removed the ability of new ikea symfonisk speakers to be installed. Other features, such as playlist and queue management have disappeared. Each release is compounding errors upon errors. Look at the simple start up splash screen below to see the level of expertise being employed.

Screenshot_20240522-002957.jpg

Spotify is also behaving badly...

I would suggest that this was destined to be e-waste when it was sold.
How was this better than just mounting your phone to control directly?
Did they actually sell any?

"the product was more of a remote control for Spotify on your mobile phone than any kind of standalone player"

Anyway, back to the original topic
Tell your loved ones to buy WiiM, not Sonos

OK, it was more of a hassle to upgrade to the new Sonos app than usual, but after a few attempts it worked fine when i wired all my units for upgrading.

I got my music on a Plex server, and it works flawlessly with Sonos, both on my local network and anywhere else away from home.
Wiim still has a long way to go to work well with Plex. And not moving forward, it seems.

OK, it was more of a hassle to upgrade to the new Sonos app than usual, but after a few attempts it worked fine when i wired all my units for upgrading.

I got my music on a Plex server, and it works flawlessly with Sonos, both on my local network and anywhere else away from home.
Wiim still has a long way to go to work well with Plex. And not moving forward, it seems.
I've only tried with UPnP but the speakers have continued to work outside of the Sonos app, it's those that use the app that have struggled

I assume you're using PlexAmp, if so, what features are missing when playing to Chromecast (WiiM) - apart from gapless playback obviously?

I use the plain Plex app mostly, What I miss the most are navigation options; either a scrollbar or letters to click on to progress down to find an artist or album, like in IOS. I have a lot of music.
I don't use Chromecast on a mini. If Wiim made Plex usable an Ultra would be interesting.

By the way, UPnP on Sonos is pretty slow. Plex works as an endpoint natively in Sonos, just press the + sign to add it as a new music service. Plex does its own indexing, much faster than Sonos, you can access several different music libraries easily and don't have to think of the 65.000 song limit.

I have several Sonos speakers, and a Symfonisk. All work well with the new app.

What I miss the most are navigation options; either a scrollbar or letters to click on to progress down to find an artist or album, like in IOS. I have a lot of music.
If you'd been on Android I'd have told you to try BubbleUPnP as that would have given you everything you need, but there aren't really any good options on iOS.

The licensed version of MinImServer generates A-Z subsetting for long lists (be it AlbumArtist, Album etc) if that's really important to you.

By the way, UPnP on Sonos is pretty slow.
I meant using the speakers as ordinary UPnP speakers.
I use MinimServer and BubbleUPnP and the speakers have been faultless in this setup, even the buttons on the speakers work (play/pause and volume buttons).
I only need the Sonos app to pair/group speakers.

Back