Warning: avoid purchasing Sonos

The Wiim app accesses my Plex libraries as a Home Music Share, and it works well. Except for that navigation is a p.i.t.a.
Navigating Plex libraries on Sonos is a breeze.

Navigating Plex libraries on Sonos is a breeze.
To access Plex from within the Sonos app do you need a Plex Pass? Does the Plex instance also need to be remotely accessible?
I have tried it in the past but I couldn't get it to connect.

You don't. I believe remote accessibility only gives you access outside you local network (on the web or 4/5G).

You don't. I believe remote accessibility only gives you access outside you local network (on the web or 4/5G).
I've just tried again and it looks like remote access (or relay as I'm being CGNAT) is required, as whilst I can authorise to Plex without it, I can't see any content.

I'm not a fan of apps having a dependency on internet access for local content, but it seems that's the way the new Sonos app is going, even for local content indexed by Sonos itself!

Whilst it's better than Sonos it's still pretty basic, not even an AlbumArtist index!!

Last edited:
Don't think Sonos, Wiim or Bluesound has an AlbumArtist index.
Correct, all the host indexing is very primitive, but I thought Plex would improve on the default, but it barely does. I would hope WiiM's Plex integration is better otherwise it'd be a complete waste of time.
It looks like you need a Plex Pass to play to Sonos from Plex apps so I do understand them crippling the free integration 🙂

With WiiM at least you have access to third party servers within the WiiM Home app, or better yet both WiiM and Sonos can be used as UPnP renderers so you're free to choose from much better servers and control points. This is one of the reasons I've never considered BluOS even though I have a NAD amp that I can get a BluOS expansion board for.

Last edited:
I can’t get Plex to work at all. It made a hash of my music. All my music was organized and tagged in iTunes, and Plex ignores my organization. I don’t know what it thinks it’s doing, but it’s unusable.

It’s not complicated. Album and track. Plex managed to ignore my album art, ignore album organization. Ad provide no access to folders.

I've just tried again and it looks like remote access (or relay as I'm being CGNAT) is required, as whilst I can authorise to Plex without it, I can't see any content.

I'm not a fan of apps having a dependency on internet access for local content, but it seems that's the way the new Sonos app is going, even for local content indexed by Sonos itself!

Whilst it's better than Sonos it's still pretty basic, not even an AlbumArtist index!!
I’d say the same about composer, composition name, movement.

I can’t get Plex to work at all. It made a hash of my music. All my music was organized and tagged in iTunes, and Plex ignores my organization. I don’t know what it thinks it’s doing, but it’s unusable.

It’s not complicated. Album and track. Plex managed to ignore my album art, ignore album organization. Ad provide no access to folders.
I don’t think Plex is very good with WiiM but my Plex server does allow Folder browsing. I have UPnP support enabled.

If I do Home Music Share / Plex Server / Music / Music - then By Folder is visible at the bottom of the list.

IMG_7224.png

Sonos is currently unable to attach to Plex. And the
Plex client and server only show artist and album, and album all screwed up.

Edit: I’m trying again with Plex, after changing most of the default scanning options.

Last edited:

Has Plex ever offered folder browsing though Sonos? Currently in the Sonos app I see:
Discover
Playlists
By Artist
By Album
Shuffle All
Recently Played
Recently Added
More by (Artist)
More in (Genre)
More from (Label)

I don't know why you're complaining, because if all you're after is folder browsing the standard Sonos indexing should work. If however, you want a much richer browsing experience then you'll need to look outside of Sonos.

Either way I don't know what this has to do with WiiM.

Has Plex ever offered folder browsing though Sonos? Currently in the Sonos app I see:
Discover
Playlists
By Artist
By Album
Shuffle All
Recently Played
Recently Added
More by (Artist)
More in (Genre)
More from (Label)

I don't know why you're complaining, because if all you're after is folder browsing the standard Sonos indexing should work. If however, you want a much richer browsing experience then you'll need to look outside of Sonos.

Either way I don't know what this has to do with WiiM.
It has to do with the topic of the thread and the discussion of Plex started by others. Sonos is on hold until they fix their app.

Now, I heard about Wiim because of the Sonos fiasco, and I have spent several years looking for something like the Ultra.

It has to do with the topic of the thread and the discussion of Plex started by others. Sonos is on hold until they fix their app.

Now, I heard about Wiim because of the Sonos fiasco, and I have spent several years looking for something like the Ultra.
The WiiMs are very capable players. Unfortunately the weak spot is without doubt UPnP server support. The WiiM app simply does not cut it.

Because of this it’s highly recommended that you use something else in any event but in your specific case where you want to browse by folder I’d suggest you investigate LMS. While folder browsing isn’t its primary use case it is well supported and in addition there is currently some detailed work being carried out to better support classical music.

LMS will support most Sonos players via the UPnP Bridge plugin.

WiiM devices (except Mini) appear as native LMS players. The Mini needs the UPnP Bridge.

I can’t recall whether you already have a NAS. If so two ways of using with LMS. One via Docker if the NAS supports and the other by running LMS on a separate device (Pi) and mounting the NAS files.

At the moment Sonos doesn’t support any music servers. Who knows where they are going.
Sonos themselves don’t but the Sonos devices can be made to be pseudo LMS players. That hasn’t changed because of the app issues.

Sonos themselves don’t but the Sonos devices can be made to be pseudo LMS players. That hasn’t changed because of the app issues.
I think I have made this clear. The reason I have Sonos is I have a wife, four frequent visitors, and four grandchildren who will soon want to choose their own music. I want one app to rule them all. I think you are talking about airplay, and while I don oppose it, I don’t want to require it.

I think I have made this clear. The reason I have Sonos is I have a wife, four frequent visitors, and four grandchildren who will soon want to choose their own music. I want one app to rule them all. I think you are talking about airplay, and while I don oppose it, I don’t want to require it.
No he doesn't mean airplay. I think he means UPnP/DNLA

Back