What are you listening to?

Added. A one box solution is mine more and more with increasing age. Love and need for as many boxes decreases 😉
Take a Pro for ≈ 250 €, your Neo DAC for ≈ 750 €, a few cables you will end not so far from the Stream.

It all quite sure has to do with my only spartan needs for a streamer.
No radio, no cast, no multi-room. Our actual multi-room is a Sonos Era in the kitchen 😉
Only Qobuz and stored files. Everything at his best with Roon.
That's why I decided on the WiiM, for better streaming. I already have the DAC covered and with Roon ending through the Pi4 endpoint, totally replacing it all for one of these newer streamer-DACs seemed a bit silly to me. Well, everyone has different needs, right?

Added. A one box solution is mine more and more with increasing age. Love and need for as many boxes decreases 😉
Take a Pro for ≈ 250 €, your Neo DAC for ≈ 750 €, a few cables you will end not so far from the Stream.
But a lot of these newer streamer-DACs are Android based, which bothers me for future use. So you are left with fancy single box, with outdated software. So another individual streamer or the entire streamer-DAC will need replaced. In my case, I only need the individual streamer, period. Just seemed a bit more economical in the long term to me, YMMV.

That's why I decided on the WiiM, for better streaming. I already have the DAC covered and with Roon ending through the Pi4 endpoint, totally replacing it all for one of these newer streamer-DACs seemed a bit silly to me. Well, everyone has different needs, right?
Silly is my second name 😉
Now back to basics.
Melodic Rock? Melodic Rock!
This guys from Sweden know how it goes. Pure fun.

IMG_1574.jpeg

But a lot of these newer streamer-DACs are Android based, which bothers me for future use. So you are left with fancy single box, with outdated software. So another individual streamer or the entire streamer-DAC will need replaced. In my case, I only need the individual streamer, period. Just seemed a bit more economical in the long term to me, YMMV.
I do not even know what streamers are Android based 😉
I see me as a customer who wants a running system. The reason why it runs has to be important for the people selling me their stuff.

Well, that Jeff and Johnny album was a bit different, indeed. Still had some very tasty Jeff bits, but there was a lot of self-indulgence other Shhh-tuff, floating around too. Interesting listen but I would not buy it, even for Jeff, RIP.

A question which often came to my mind during the last months is how streaming changes my listening behavior. Really do not love the result I noticed for me. Confessing that I much too often jump from one to another album without real reason. Just why it is possible and I do not have to move my lazy a...
A fact which I have denied for too long because I thought it never will happen to me as an album-not-mixtape-listener. Have to change that back. The album artists deserve that. At least many of them 😉

I see me as a customer who wants a running system. The reason why it runs has to be important for the people selling me their stuff.
A lot of the newer wonder streamers (i.e. Fiio R7 and the Eversolo DMP-A6) are modified Android systems. So when the OS is too old, the streamer app owners will stop doing updates. Which will cause apps to start dropping off. It happens to all the phones, so I have lots of remote controllers for the home systems, eh?

A question which often came to my mind during the last months is how streaming changes my listening behavior. Really do not love the result I noticed for me. Confessing that I much too often jump from one to another album without real reason. Just why it is possible and I do not have to move my lazy a...
A fact which I have denied for too long because I thought it never will happen to me as an album-not-mixtape-listener. Have to change that back. The album artists deserve that. At least many of them 😉
Yeah, I really try to listen to entire albums. I need to get my turntable back in running condition, but almost all of my albums are in storage at the moment, so Tidal, Qobuz and my media server will have to due, for now.

Well, the new WiiM is still up and running a Dash radio stream in the bedroom. I'll need to pick another streaming service, that normally craps out on Roon streaming, that is one of the reasons for the WiiM. The Roon streams do not auto restart, so you have to manually do it. I know the WiiM seems to play from my NAS just fine and gapless, but the interface for scrolling is not fun, but I knew it going in. All and all, this new WiiM seems very stable and the interface is very useable.

Well, the new WiiM is still up and running a Dash radio stream in the bedroom. I'll need to pick another streaming service, that normally craps out on Roon streaming, that is one of the reasons for the WiiM. The Roon streams do not auto restart, so you have to manually do it. I know the WiiM seems to play from my NAS just fine and gapless, but the interface for scrolling is not fun, but I knew it going in. All and all, this new WiiM seems very stable and the interface is very useable.
Not sure if all Plus interested users are present here in this thread. May be your experience is also valuable in a dedicated Pro Plus thread. I will find you everywhere 😉

I think most of the higher end streamer-DACs (1k+) use in-house coding for their systems and not Android as a base, but I could be wrong. But I do know these other streamers-DACs with Android will get slower and eventually not be supported, at least the streamer sections will. Seems like it's the middle ground that have jumped to the Android OS based systems. WiiM, BlueSound, Arylic don't use it and neither do iFi and the other 1500+ units. Who knows? But it certainly seems like planned obsoletion to me, IMHO.

I think most of the higher end streamer-DACs (1k+) use in-house coding for their systems and not Android as a base, but I could be wrong. But I do know these other streamers-DACs with Android will get slower and eventually not be supported, at least the streamer sections will. Seems like it's the middle ground that have jumped to the Android OS based systems. WiiM, BlueSound, Arylic don't use it and neither do iFi and the other 1500+ units. Who knows? But it certainly seems like planned obsoletion to me, IMHO.
Most higher end devices use customised versions of Linux - which is what the WiiM firmware is.
There are a few devices that use Android but there are issues with the audio sub system in every Android version until the most recent.

Most higher end devices use customised versions of Linux - which is what the WiiM firmware is.
There are a few devices that use Android but there are issues with the audio sub system in every Android version until the most recent.
But wouldn’t those Android implementations use something akin to UAPP to achieve hi res audio to overcome those issues? There are also some benefits to using Android as you can use native apps to provide support for things like Apple Music which I believe EverSolo supports, saving the development effort to support such services. I guess it’s swings and roundabouts though…

Sounds about right, so I wasn't too far off. 👍

To wave the German flag some Trash from here. Fuzz, wah wah and other of this loved distortion, power chords, double bass and excessive guitar soloes. Who asks for more ;)

Screenshot_20230830_135921_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Back