What are you listening to?

So a question, going through my 1000+ discs, I want to transfer to NAS. What do you use to record to media? I could go .wav or .flac. thanks all.

So a question, going through my 1000+ discs, I want to transfer to NAS. What do you use to record to media? I could go .wav or .flac. thanks all.
CD or vinyl discs? If the former, then dbPoweramp is the best in my opinion. And FLAC.

Agree with @Brantome on this with regard the program and format.

When you're starting out I would initially rip ~30 random albums (including some compilations) and then spend some time thinking about how you'd like to browse them.

Some of the more useful non-standard tags would be:
  • Secondary Release Types - So you can browse by Compilation, Soundtrack, Live e.t.c.
  • Original Release Date - If you want to sort an artist's discography in chronological order. Remaster date too?
  • Series - My girlfriend loves her cheesy pop CD's, so rather than list all 80+ 'Now That's What I Call Music XX' albums in my compilation listing, I can group them under a single 'Now That's What I Call Music' item.
  • Date Ripped/Added - Whilst Recently Played functionality will give you your recent additions, it's quite nice to go back and see what you were into at a point in time. I appreciate that at this point all 1000 would have the same date for you.
There's no right or wrong here, just include whatever works for you, but you don't want to be stuck just browsing by Artist and Genre!

Yeah, he’s more often known these days for his film and orchestral works, but early on in his career he was briefly in some local, relatively well known bands (well, here in Scotland anyway ;) ) such as Hipsway, The Big Dish and Texas.
The above has put me in mind to listen to his first album “The Space Between Us” which also has a version of The Blue Nile’s “Let’s Go Out Tonight”. Hope you enjoy it :)

Attachments

• IMG_8253.jpeg
    IMG_8253.jpeg
    953.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As others have mentioned, dBPoweramp does a good job, I have heard. I personally use EAC then foobar2000 to finish tweaking the tags, but I love the details and I'm a bit OCD. I normally rip to FLAC, for home use and 320 AAC for the portable for in car and earphone/IEM use. I would also say have fun with it, it is part of a hobby, right? Oh, read a few articles on naming conventions for files and folders, if you are doing 1000+ discs, starting out organized will be very helpful. :cool:

Back