What do you really think about WiiM and Linkplay?

I suggested the same thing. They were comfortable however splitting configs into different features. I sent my mini back and got a pro.
I’d be very surprised if the current structure of the app/firmware was such that you could choose from an app menu of the features you wanted in order to build a personal firmware version to fit on your Mini. If on the other hand they made several sets of firmware available with, say Roon and Airplay but not Amazon Music, or Amazon Music with Spotify, etc etc I’m sure there would be someone who’d complain their custom mix wasn’t available.
As above, I feel they should say “job done” for the Mini, bar bug fixes and minor tweaks, and concentrate development on the more capable Pro platform.

I’d be very surprised if the current structure of the app/firmware was such that you could choose from an app menu of the features you wanted in order to build a personal firmware version to fit on your Mini. If on the other hand they made several sets of firmware available with, say Roon and Airplay but not Amazon Music, or Amazon Music with Spotify, etc etc I’m sure there would be someone who’d complain their custom mix wasn’t available.
As above, I feel they should say “job done” for the Mini, bar bug fixes and minor tweaks, and concentrate development on the more capable Pro platform.
Agree!! They should stop putting a roadmap on mini and concentrate on bug fixing. Roadmap “it’s done”

Given the WiiM Mini already has a plethora of features packed into a relatively small hardware footprint, might I suggest that they consider ceasing any further major developments on the WiiM Mini and focus their energies on bringing new features just to the Pro? They’ve already hit a brick wall due to lack of memory concerning lossless Amazon Music multi room, and yesterday my Mini got itself in a twist, dropping the SPDIF connection and flipping between Spotify and Amazon Music when I stopped a Spotify stream to switch to Amazon Music, which WiiM again put down to memory issues. I’m not suggesting that they abandon the Mini but just restrict its development to enhancing current supported services rather than adding any new major services.

I also feel that, unless the development is already modular and can lend itself to the custom firmware versions mooted for Roon for example, that it could be a large engineering task to restructure its firmware to tailor it to allow users to choose which features they want in the firmware and which they don’t.

If I have any criticism of WiiM/Linkplay, it’s that they’re over enthusiastic and want to please all the people all of the time. As a result, they appear to promise features without them having been fully evaluated as to whether they’re feasible or not. Given the Mini’s limited memory and existing problems with that, I can’t see how they can cram in all they list in its roadmap. Plus it would clearly further differentiate the Mini from the Pro, connections and Chromecast aside.
Hi Brantome, Pcryan5, thank you very much for all your thoughtful comments. I’ll bring those back to our team and make sure those are well taken. We learned a lot from our community and hope to continue innovating based on your feedback. Thank you!

I already had the WiiM Mini and now I have the Pro as well. I have to say that the guys at LinkPlay screwed me right from the start.
At the price their products have, they easily compete with much more expensive streamers. I've seen €2,000/3,000 € streamers who, for example, only have 2/3 streamer services inside. The small and cheap WiiMs have practically all existing streamer services inside. I use an external DAC (Topping D50s) but I have to say that, having tried it too, their DAC isn't bad at all. It does its job well. WiiMs are absolutely price killers to me.
What however, in my opinion, makes them truly unique and unbeatable is their customer care. Whatever you ask, they respond promptly. They never ignore a question and if you have any sensible suggestions they take it into consideration. Many well-known high-end companies do not even come close to such customer care.
They take care of their products in detail. For example, the Pro has included the charger in the package. Well I have the Samsung S20+ (€900) and the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro (€400) and neither of them had the charger included. SHAME for Samsung and MERIT for Linkplay

Back