WiiM Amp Firmware v5.0.623437 Update - Jul 17, 2024

Good morning all - pretty pumped about the new USB audio out feature. I am a little confused on how the connectivity works. I have a R2R NOS Metrum DAC with USB input. Since the WiiM amp is the amp and the streamer, am I to connect the WiiM Amp USB Out > Metrum DAC USB Input > Metrum DAC RCA Analog Out > WiiM Amp Analog In?

Will that truly give me a DAC bypass or am I 'digitizing' the signal twice?

Good morning all - pretty pumped about the new USB audio out feature. I am a little confused on how the connectivity works. I have a R2R NOS Metrum DAC with USB input. Since the WiiM amp is the amp and the streamer, am I to connect the WiiM Amp USB Out > Metrum DAC USB Input > Metrum DAC RCA Analog Out > WiiM Amp Analog In?

No, you need another amp after the DAC. Bet you aren't so pumped about the USB audio out now 🤣

I’m not sure if that dac is adjustable or fixed. In my case I can do either. The less electronic in the chain to maintain signal integrity. My setup wiim amp>>Dac>>power amp>>speaker. If your dac is fixed you’re going to need preamp to control the volume, set wiim amp to max to get bit perfect.

gotcha - yeah absolutely.
@slartibartfast not pumped at all :cautious:
@Smartplug - what this means is the WiiM amp gets downgraded to a streamer passing audio to your external DAC which further needs an amplifier to your speakers.

Poor design and really a patch work 'after thought' in my opinion. I am better off using my Node2i streamer connected to my NOS Metrum DAC going to my Croft Integrated Amp to drive the Harbeth speakers.

I cannot think of a way to truly bypass the internal DAC on a digital class D 'all in one' amp/streamer/DAC. Maybe the WiiM amp Pro has something smart up it's sleeve.

Not only that, you won't hear any sound because the analogue input will be routed to the USB out just like any other input. There is now way to separately access the WiiM Amp's power amp section.

So, as @slartibartfast said, you need an additional power amp.

I cannot think of a way to truly bypass the internal DAC on a digital class D 'all in one' amp/streamer/DAC. Maybe the WiiM amp Pro has something smart up it's sleeve.
Certainly not, because it is a well designed "all in one" solution, just as the Amp. Not sure how you came to expect anything else.

Maybe the WiiM amp Pro has something smart up it's sleeve.
Yes it has - an upgraded DAC, PFFB support, the latest Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 technologies, and Dolby Audio support. But no usb out/ loop back in feature.

@Smartplug - what this means is the WiiM amp gets downgraded to a streamer passing audio to your external DAC which further needs an amplifier to your speakers.

Poor design and really a patch work 'after thought' in my opinion. I am better off using my Node2i streamer connected to my NOS Metrum DAC going to my Croft Integrated Amp to drive the Harbeth speakers.

Basically, wiim amp is just streamer in my case. Streamer/transport it pass digital to dac and the dac does its thing and then from its output will then be drive to amp to drive speaker. You have 2 choice use amp as is or can be upgraded by external dac and amp. It’s all up to you. I’m hardcore audiophile that everything in the chain being hear and analyzed if I like it or be dispose in garage bin.

You end up with a streamer that consumes 12W as well. It is probably more useful as a way to plugin in a headphone amp with USB input.

Question can the usb out be connected to an interface ? I have a wrusegate and I want to use my krk speakers with the Wiim

I hope in the future product wiim will just produce streamer with just sub out, coax, optical and usb. As of now, wiim covered the ground except digital streamer transport.

Basically, wiim amp is just streamer in my case. Streamer/transport it pass digital to dac and the dac does its thing and then from its output will then be drive to amp to drive speaker. You have 2 choice use amp as is or can be upgraded by external dac and amp. It’s all up to you. I’m hardcore audiophile that everything in the chain being hear and analyzed if I like it or be dispose in garage bin.
@Smartplug thanks. you should opt for a dedicated streamer to get the purest signal. In your case your WiiM Amp has unnecessary DAC, and class D amp that introduces a noisy circuit that will cause a lot of jitter. You want to keep your signal as 'undigitized' as possible.

@Smartplug thanks. you should opt for a dedicated streamer to get the purest signal. In your case your WiiM Amp has unnecessary DAC, and class D amp that introduces a noisy circuit that will cause a lot of jitter. You want to keep your signal as 'undigitized' as possible.
That would be great idea but at this point in time no other company I’m aware has vast knowledge like wiim does. I like updates that include feature not just bug fix. This is something you won’t get to others. It would be nice if wiim could do such what ifi did called ifi stream with no dac just straight streamer.

That would be great idea but at this point in time no other company I’m aware has vast knowledge like wiim does. I like updates that include feature not just bug fix. This is something you won’t get to others. It would be nice if wiim could do such what ifi did called ifi stream with no dac just straight streamer.
if you use Roon - I would highly recommend - you can use the Nucleus One or simply Raspberry Pi to stream directly to your DAC.
Also, Node 2i has the capability of bypassing its DAC if using coax or optical connection. From their website: When using either Optical or Coaxial outputs on the Node 2i, you will be bypassing the Node's internal DAC.

I hope in the future product wiim will just produce streamer with just sub out, coax, optical and usb. As of now, wiim covered the ground except digital streamer transport.

This makes no sense.. The WiiM amp is a very capable all in one solution with a very high quality design and built which is perfect for users like which had no previous equipment. If you have previous gear like other amps, dacs, etc it is completely illogic to purchase a a Wiim Amp unless its for a 2nd system.

if you have other gear the solution is simple get a Pro, Pro Plus, or Ultra. There is no reason to request that Wiim stops offering a great product like the Amp.

Back