WiiM Amp Firmware v5.0.626857 Update - Aug 20, 2024

Pregain is useful if you just click a couple of times and get very loud. Lowering the slider would allow you get more click in gradual fashion. Try lowering it by 3db and see if you like how the volume raise the volume. Mine set -10db because I have high gain amp.
Sounds like a true pre then

On the plus side the app does remember the Pre-gain setting 😀
Not sure if I see this as a plus. If you don't remember which value you might have set for your different inputs (or any other family member) you might come to totally false conclusions when "fine tuning" these values two weeks later. :p

The strange thing is that this pre-gain bug has made it from Android version 2.11.1 to 2.11.3 (at least). Makes it pretty much unusable on Android for my taste.

Might file another ticket for the Amp, already did so for the Ultra.

Not sure if I see this as a plus. If you don't remember which value you might have set for your different inputs (or any other family member) you might come to totally false conclusions when "fine tuning" these values two weeks later. :p

The strange thing is that this pre-gain bug has made it from Android version 2.11.1 to 2.11.3 (at least). Makes it pretty much unusable on Android for my taste.

Might file another ticket for the Amp, already did so for the Ultra.
Are you saying your app doesn't remember the Pre-gain settings for the amp?

Version 2.11.3.240820
Android 12
That's a little strange. Same app version here. Two different phones, both running Android 14, though. Pre-gain is unusable for me right now.

I'm using the Amp for streaming only, so it's not really an issue, but it is for the Ultra.

That's a little strange. Same app version here. Two different phones, both running Android 14, though. Pre-gain is unusable for me right now.

I'm using the Amp for streaming only, so it's not really an issue, but it is for the Ultra.
I was surprised that it remembered. It was the first thing I checked when the amp received the firmware with Pre-gain.

Soooo.. this is a pre gain prior to the main amplification ...
Soooo.. it will push the main amp which will drive more difficult loudspeakers.

That's not a question, is it?

Pre-gain does not change if or if not the power amp can drive "difficult" loudspeakers. It either can or it can't.

You might be able to get a higher SPL from low volume sources like older albums. Just be careful with digital clipping.

That's not a question, is it?

Pre-gain does not change if or if not the power amp can drive "difficult" loudspeakers. It either can or it can't.

You might be able to get a higher SPL from low volume sources like older albums. Just be careful with digital clipping.
Yes.. a question.
I'm really curious to know precisely what's going on.
With a slight boost to hq streaming the WiiM amp now appears to be delivered some body and impact to music it's packed on my loudspeakers.

Just wanting to be sure the main stage was actually being pushed and I wasn't just experiencing a higher volume for a given position on the UI slider.

Just wanting to be sure the main stage was actually being pushed and I wasn't just experiencing a higher volume for a given position on the UI slider.
You are just experiencing a higher volume for a given position. Unless it is now clipping in which case you are experiencing distortion.

Soooo.. this is a pre gain prior to the main amplification ...
You have two option using pregain or line voltage to choose from if you’re using it as preamp. In my case, I choose to lower the line voltage because lowering pregain the tonal balanced was affected and did not like the way it sound. That’s just my thought on what I’m hearing.

You have two option using pregain or line voltage to choose from if you’re using it as preamp. In my case, I choose to lower the line voltage because lowering pregain the tonal balanced was affected and did not like the way it sound. That’s just my thought on what I’m hearing.
What are you talking about? Pre-gain or line voltage? We are talking about the Amp here.

Back