WiiM Pro Plus

Well, WiiM PRO already have Bluetooth with SBC and AAC codec

What's wrong in expecting the PRO Plus in making it better with other superior codecs ?1?!?
Would that not need a different chipset or would you expect it to be implemented in firmware?

For this "codecs" WiiM will have to pay. Another brick making WiiM's effort to keep it cheap more difficult.
And additional to that, I was part of a workshop three months ago. A bunch of "experienced listeners" tested Bluetooth with A&K DAPs and Sony, B&W and JBL headphones. No one could proof a difference.
So, I will remain very sceptic regarding "superior". Qualcom f.e. struggles with aptX Lossless for long, still no signals. In theory all these numbers look good. But the main reason for that is making money.

@steadyshot
You are kidding, aren't you?
Damping feet with all the "audiophile" excesses are classic accessories.
The WiiM weighs less than a bar of chocolate. So if you think damping is necessary go with John Darko and put an IKEA doorstopper on top. That looks bonkers, but it is cheap.

No I am not kidding . Little feet could be incorporated in the body to raise the unit.

Of course...everything is possible. I would love WiiM offering a Pro with an airbrushed portrait of George Harrison. But my fear is others would prefer Charlie Watts. 😉
To return to seriousness WiiM would have mentioned that in their release announcement.

Of course...everything is possible. I would love WiiM offering a Pro with an airbrushed portrait of George Harrison. But my fear is others would prefer Charlie Watts. 😉
To return to seriousness WiiM would have mentioned that in their release announcement.
I'd want the Taylor Swift version, I'll ask for that in the feature request thread.

For this "codecs" WiiM will have to pay. Another brick making WiiM's effort to keep it cheap more difficult.
And additional to that, I was part of a workshop three months ago. A bunch of "experienced listeners" tested Bluetooth with A&K DAPs and Sony, B&W and JBL headphones. No one could proof a difference.
So, I will remain very sceptic regarding "superior". Qualcom f.e. struggles with aptX Lossless for long, still no signals. In theory all these numbers look good. But the main reason for that is making money.
I have 2 pairs of decent BT headphones.

The first are a pair of Bose QC35s which only have SBC. I was using these for convenience with a BT transmitter dongle hanging from headphone socket on an amp. Sound isn’t bad but the range of the BT transmitter was poor. If I walked into my kitchen about 6-7 metres and opened the fridge I’d lose signal. So I invested in a better BT transmitter. An Avantree Oasis something which has much better range. Problem solved.

The Avantree supports SBC and also AptXHD so in order to utilise the higher quality codec I bought a second pair of decent BT headphones. A pair of B&W P7i’s. Unfortunately I can’t use them with the Avantree and AptXHD unless I sit less than 2 metres away and don’t move. If I do move they switch annoyingly back and forth between SBC and AptXHD. Each switch is accompanied with a temporary loss of audio. Neither the Avantree or B&W P7i’s contains a means of “fixing” the codec as SBC. As a result I can only use the B&Ws with my iPhone which is SBC only.

BT is convenient but it’s not great. In my experience AprXHD is a waste of time. My serious listening portable headphone solution is pictured below. It’s a Raspberry Pi Zero powered by a Powerbank and coupled with an Audioquest Dragonfly Black that feeds a pair or wired B&W P7s (not P7i’s). SQ is vastly superior and only slightly less portable. The Pi is running piCorePlayer which contains a Squeezelite client connected to my LMS server. If the WiiM Mini had a USB out it could replace the Pi.

IMG_6363.jpeg

I have 2 pairs of decent BT headphones.

The first are a pair of Bose QC35s which only have SBC. I was using these for convenience with a BT transmitter dongle hanging from headphone socket on an amp. Sound isn’t bad but the range of the BT transmitter was poor. If I walked into my kitchen about 6-7 metres and opened the fridge I’d lose signal. So I invested in a better BT transmitter. An Avantree Oasis something which has much better range. Problem solved.

The Avantree supports SBC and also AptXHD so in order to utilise the higher quality codec I bought a second pair of decent BT headphones. A pair of B&W P7i’s. Unfortunately I can’t use them with the Avantree and AptXHD unless I sit less than 2 metres away and don’t move. If I do move they switch annoyingly back and forth between SBC and AptXHD. Each switch is accompanied with a temporary loss of audio. Neither the Avantree or B&W P7i’s contains a means of “fixing” the codec as SBC. As a result I can only use the B&Ws with my iPhone which is SBC only.

BT is convenient but it’s not great. In my experience AprXHD is a waste of time. My serious listening portable headphone solution is pictured below. It’s a Raspberry Pi Zero powered by a Powerbank and coupled with an Audioquest Dragonfly Black that feeds a pair or wired B&W P7s (not P7i’s). SQ is vastly superior and only slightly less portable. The Pi is running piCorePlayer which contains a Squeezelite client connected to my LMS server. If the WiiM Mini had a USB out it could replace the Pi.

View attachment 1384
Did you consider mobile DAC / BT receivers like Fiio BTRx or Qudelix 5K?

The WiFi nature of the Pi Zero means vast signal coverage in comparison to BT and it runs Squeezelite which gives me access to my entire library, Qobuz etc. I never looked at the Qudelix but if it’s similar to Fiio my understanding is that you have to load it with music. Yes it’s more portable but at the cost of having to manage the files.

For portable music outside my house I use an iPhone 6s - the last with 3.5mm - an App called iPeng and a VPN to my office which provides full LMS or alternatively Qobuz app. If I know I’m travelling with no signal - plane etc - then I’ll use Foobar2000 on the 6s and a small local library.

I’ve just looked at the Fiio again and I may be confusing it with something else. It might be something I would use outside the house although I usually take a lesser pair of wired headphones when travelling or the Bose QC35s as the Noise Cancellation is very good.

The WiFi nature of the Pi Zero means vast signal coverage in comparison to BT and it runs Squeezelite which gives me access to my entire library, Qobuz etc. I never looked at the Qudelix but if it’s similar to Fiio my understanding is that you have to load it with music. Yes it’s more portable but at the cost of having to manage the files.

For portable music outside my house I use an iPhone 6s - the last with 3.5mm - an App called iPeng and a VPN to my office which provides full LMS or alternatively Qobuz app. If I know I’m travelling with no signal - plane etc - then I’ll use Foobar2000 on the 6s and a small local library.
These devices are not portable players, but as I can see you've realized it already.

This FiiO BTR5 I have used for a good while, it is a monster for such small money. Decent small and still kind of portabe. Bluetooth should be ok, I read. But as it is also a 24/192 DAC it could be paired with reasonable headphones or IEMs and still is "portable".

Last edited:
Per the Roon forums, apparently the new Pro Plus device has to go through Roon Ready certification again, but should be quicker as the software is likely to be the same. Hopefully will come to market soon (assuming the delay is due to this).

Per the Roon forums, apparently the new Pro Plus device has to go through Roon Ready certification again, but should be quicker as the software is likely to be the same. Hopefully will come to market soon (assuming the delay is due to this).
WiiM will announce the ProPlus soon and Roon Readiness will be delivered via an OTA update after that, hopefully in a matter of weeks.

Back