Wiim ultra generating frequent chirps when streaming in chromecast apple music mode

wiimphile

Hello!

I have at last received wiim ultra yesterday.
The first impression was so wonderful !
Everything is possible (except LDAC support) !!
I'd like to express deep gratitude for this present.

But I have encountered "frequent chirping" issues when streaming apple music in chromecast audio mode with android mobile phone.

Settings 1)
- audio input : network
- audio output : USB output to external DAC (with 2x burr brown TI 1794 chipsets)
- mode : chromecast audio mode (Apple music)
- observation (problem) : frequent chirpings or continuous chirping occurred while music playing sometimes (but often)

Settings 2)
- audio output : optical output to external DAC
- observation (problem) : sometimes whitenoise added from the very first part of the music playing. Recovered (normal playing ) by returning the music again after other music play for short time.

Please help me out from this annoying situation.
Thanks in advance !

I'm away from home for the moment.
So I will try bluetooth tomorrow and report the result to you.
Thanks!

Chromecast on ultra has issue particularly on qoboz. We don’t know when will this thing get fix. I don’t see reinventing the wheels if there’s no additional feature or performance uplift. Look what we got? Chromecast on previous wiim works fine.

Do you get these issues if you try bluetooth for example rather than ChromeCast?

Sorry for being late for the reply.

1) No, these issues only happen in case of chromecast network input mode and USB (burr brown 1794 x2 DAC in my case) or optical output mode accordingly as I have tested today.

Bluetooth, TV(HDMI ARC), phono, optical In, Line in mode & USB output mode were good.

2) one more thing is that there were infrequent long term chirps in case of line in mode & USB output mode.

3) musicality were the best in case of optical In & line out mode. Chromecast input mode is a bit worse than optical in mode especially in terms of staging, right positioning and clearness.
Actually I have been using optical in mode connected with bluetooth LDAC receiver named slash6 made in Korea.

Those are my observations.
Please be noted and take care of those if possible for Wiim ultra to be the best streamer !

Thanks.

Last edited:
Would you be so kind as to reply my questions especially on frequent chiprs when USB output mode connected to Burr-brown dual 1794 DACs at chromecast mode (Apple music) ?

Would you be so kind as to reply my questions especially on frequent chiprs when USB output mode connected to Burr-brown dual 1794 DACs at chromecast mode (Apple music) ?
You would still have to submit a ticket to WiiM for them to get access to your device logs. Without the logs, no one can tell what's going on just based on your description.

I have some tips for you which will hopefully help with that process.

1. When you submit the ticket, descibe the steps to recreate the problem, and what's the probability you get the problem after you repeat these steps.
2. Record a video of the problem if you can. WiiM engineers don't necessarily understand what you mean by "chirping" because they might not be native speakers. Also they might be more familiar with terms like "high frequency distortion".
3. You should try some other apps than just Apple Music. It would help identify if the issue is with the chromecast part, the USB part, or even an issue with your DAC for example.

Based on your description of setting 2, it doesn't sound like a chromecast issue to me. It seems more like a SPDIF clock issue, either because the SPDIF signal from the Ultra is a little unstable in the beginning, or because your external DAC takes some time to lock in the clock rate.

Hello!

I have at last received wiim ultra yesterday.
The first impression was so wonderful !
Everything is possible (except LDAC support) !!
I'd like to express deep gratitude for this present.

But I have encountered "frequent chirping" issues when streaming apple music in chromecast audio mode with android mobile phone.

Settings 1)
- audio output : USB output to external DAC (with 2x burr brown TI 1794 chipsets)
- observation (problem) : frequent chirpings or continuous chirping occurred while music playing sometimes (but often)

Settings 2)
- audio output : optical output to external DAC
- observation (problem) : sometimes whitenoise added from the very first part of the music playing. Recovered (normal playing ) by returning the music again after other music play for short time.

Please help me out from this annoying situation.
Thanks in advance !
Hi wiimphile,

Please help us by sending us the Mac address of your device through a new conversation. We can release beta firmware that includes Chromecast enhancements for you.

I think WiiM meant using the feedback section in the app to supply that info, with perhaps a link to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would still have to submit a ticket to WiiM for them to get access to your device logs. Without the logs, no one can tell what's going on just based on your description.

1. When you submit the ticket, descibe the steps to recreate the problem, and what's the probability you get the problem after you repeat these steps.
2. Record a video of the problem if you can. WiiM engineers don't necessarily understand what you mean by "chirping" because they might not be native speakers. Also they might be more familiar with terms like "high frequency distortion".
3. You should try some other apps than just Apple Music. It would help identify if the issue is with the chromecast part, the USB part, or even an issue with your DAC for example.

Based on your description of setting 2, it doesn't sound like a chromecast issue to me. It seems more like a SPDIF clock issue, either because the SPDIF signal from the Ultra is a little unstable in the beginning, or because your external DAC takes some time to lock in the clock rate.

I think WiiM meant using the feedback section in the app to supply that info, with perhaps a link to this thread.

Dear mrgene,

Many thanks for your explanation and recommendations !
I will do again as your advise.

Thanks^^

Submit tickets to WiiM when each problem occurs so WiiM can inspect your logs for evidence of your issues.
Dear Burnside,
Thank you for your kind directions.
I would like to ask some questions to be clarified.

1) where can I submit tickets ? I mean here in forum or feedback in app as you previously said?
2) I would like to send my logs that has each problem. How WiiM team can inspect my log ?
Is Wiim team able to inspect my device through remote connection using like MAC address ?

Dear Burnside,
Thank you for your kind directions.
I would like to ask some questions to be clarified.

1) where can I submit tickets ? I mean here in forum or feedback in app as you previously said?
2) I would like to send my logs that has each problem. How WiiM team can inspect my log ?
Is Wiim team able to inspect my device through remote connection using like MAC address ?
Feedback from the wiim app - bottom bar, Settings, Send us feedback.
Your logs will be sent with that feedback.

Back