WiiM Ultra Phono Stage

stalefish_43

Was curious to get opinions on the phono stage within the WiiM Ultra as there doesn’t seem to be too much discussion of this feature. I have been running it for a few weeks with my Fluance RT85 (Ortofon 2M blue) into the phono input of Ultra then to the analog line in of my Yamaha AS501. I have a pair of KLH Model 3’s for speakers.

I just listened to Rush - A Farewell to Kings and compared between the phono on my Yamaha to the Ultra and found the Ultra to have a better soundstage, more low end and imo well rounded sound. Was curious as to what others experiences have been? And how would the Ultra compare to $200-$300 dedicated phono stage (thinking Schiit Mani 2, iFi Zen etc)?

Phono preamps are, in my opinion, difficult to test, because some cartridges are sensitive to input impedance.

I just got my Ultra today. And the phono is wonderful! I have 5 tables that I like to keep in regular rotation. Two go into my McIntosh MX110z, two go into my McIntosh C11, and the other one was using the phono in an Audiolab 8000a. I'd been using it mainly for it's phono and headphone, and it does a good job, but it's a big box, and the ability to switch it for the more compact Ultra is appealing. To my ears, the phono is every bit as good as the 8000a, and honestly I don't think it's a downgrade from the two Mc pre's. It's actually quite warm sounding, at least with the other gear that I'm using it with. Considering everything else that one gets with the Ultra, having a really nice phono is a real plus.

if the phono part is in 47k for the mm and by dsp correction... is it possible to just lower the gain and cut the riaa correction and make a second normal ana input for modest use...?
(note that there is practically no feedback on this phono input on its operation? the impedance and capacitance loads according to mm or mc? the riaa via dsp modifiable? the headroom available in mm and mc, (subject all the more important with a digitization..) ...
)

Last edited:
It's not really up to scratch. The Line In might be, but the MC Phono In isn't...using a RIIA with for instance a Puffin or Waxwing ADC and feed it to a digital input on the Ultra might be better.

Was curious to get opinions on the phono stage within the WiiM Ultra as there doesn’t seem to be too much discussion of this feature. I have been running it for a few weeks with my Fluance RT85 (Ortofon 2M blue) into the phono input of Ultra then to the analog line in of my Yamaha AS501. I have a pair of KLH Model 3’s for speakers.

I just listened to Rush - A Farewell to Kings and compared between the phono on my Yamaha to the Ultra and found the Ultra to have a better soundstage, more low end and imo well rounded sound. Was curious as to what others experiences have been? And how would the Ultra compare to $200-$300 dedicated phono stage (thinking Schiit Mani 2, iFi Zen etc)?
I wouldn't try to use the Phono MC setting, but when used with an MM or MI or high output MC cartridge the phono pre is really sounding very nice. I don't think anything in the price range you mention would be any better.

Whatever you connect to the Ultra's line input will be digitised immediately, just like the Phono input.

I find the MM phono quite good, certainly as acceptable to my ears as the phono's in my McIntosh MX110Z and C11 pre's.

I only wish the signal didn't drop constantly. I have a ticket in for this problem.

I find the MM phono quite good, certainly as acceptable to my ears as the phono's in my McIntosh MX110Z and C11 pre's.

I only wish the signal didn't drop constantly. I have a ticket in for this problem.
I haven’t experienced the signal drop as you mentioned. I updated to the latest firmware so this will be something I’ll be watching for.

Has anyone experienced the following isseu?
there is nothing plugged into the wiim, phono input selected, volume set to max, there is noise can hear and see on VU meter if I gently tap the Wiim case - the turntable is not connected and even then this happens (and this is also the case if it is connected) so it is definitely not the phono catridge picking it up.
I don't think the electronics could be that sensitive to vibrations - would anyone try the same thing with their ultra?

try tap with an electrical insulating element...(?)
(and maybe also try to observe with the addition of a grounding)

Last edited:
As said on the Facebook group when you posted that there, don’t tap it then…
maybe it's completely normal, but my other device doesn't behave like this, so it would be reassuring if someone tried it with their own ultra, because then it's definitely not caused by faulty soldering in my device

maybe it's completely normal, but my other device doesn't behave like this, so it would be reassuring if someone tried it with their own ultra, because then it's definitely not caused by faulty soldering in my device
Well, that does not seem to happen on my device. (But I don't know if it is completely set up the same as yours.)

Back