WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
a modest mm stage is just an aop and a few components for the passive riaa and above all it works (for decades)..

so let's wait and see... what it is....

(ps to justify the digital correction.. first of all you have to know what to correct (if just for a riaa..that would just be a bit stupid) there, as for the famous rc vast subject, in vinyl I wonder if it's not worse... ;-)) )

Last edited:
Agreed most of it. Even my vintage amps/receivers have great phono stages. But if you are chasing the final percents?
The statement from WiiM remains adventurous for me. It reads as usual like the answer too all questions. They have to prove it, anyway.

Agreed most of it. Even my vintage amps/receivers have great phono stages. But if you are chasing the final percents?
The statement from WiiM remains adventurous for me. It reads as usual like the answer too all questions. They have to prove it, anyway.
Even if the final price should be at the top end of what's been supposed in the poll (and I don't think it will be), nobody should or will expect the WiiM Ultra to be the ultimate phono stage. I hope. :)

But if it turns out just "good enough" for many, I don't see nothing wrong with it.

Many of the cheapish "me-too-phono" amps that have been launched after the vinyl revival did come with input capacitance values of 560 pF or higher, up to almost 1000 pF for just one reason: electromagnetic compatibility. These devices are absolutely unusable with anything than a HO MC (how many do you know to be currently available except for the DL-110?). If WiiM just avoid that pitfall the phono input could just be a very nice add-on.

Even if the final price should be at the top end of what's been supposed in the poll (and I don't think it will be), nobody should or will expect the WiiM Ultra to be the ultimate phono stage. I hope. :)

But if it turns out just "good enough" for many, I don't see nothing wrong with it.

Many of the cheapish "me-too-phono" amps that have been launched after the vinyl revival did come with input capacitance values of 560 pF or higher, up to almost 1000 pF for just one reason: electromagnetic compatibility. These devices are absolutely unusable with anything than a HO MC (how many do you know to be currently available except for the DL-110?). If WiiM just avoid that pitfall the phono input could just be a very nice add-on.
Sumiko, Hana, Ortofon, Excalibur and so on. All offer HO MCs. Although many people say an HO & MC is a paradoxon ;-)
Not much to add to your post.
Nice to have an MC stage in a 500 € streamer?? Its a gimmick. Like so much gimmicks in all this so modern miracle boxes. But thanks heaven it is all up to everyone. Enjoy music, that what is all about.
And for now I stay curious what will be delivered.

Sumiko, Hana, Ortofon, Excalibur and so on. All offer HO MCs. Although many people say an HO & MC is a paradoxon ;-)
All those carts are far more expensive than the WiiM Ultra, though. :)

Nice to have an MC stage in a 500 € streamer?? Its a gimmick.
How would you rate the $150 dedicated phono pre-amp Shiit Mani 2? :)

All those carts are far more expensive than the WiiM Ultra, though. :)

How would you rate the $150 dedicated phono pre-amp Shiit Mani 2? :)

The Mani 2 is an excellent unit with full R and C cartridge settings and gain adjustments. A very quiet amp too.

The Mani 2 is an excellent unit with full R and C cartridge settings and gain adjustments. A very quiet amp too.
So, if a backyard workshop like Shiit can come up with an excellent MM/MC phono stage for that money, why shouldn't Linplay/WiiM be able to integrate a decent phono stage into the Ultra?

"Excellence" is always a question of definition ;-)
Quite sure it will work. Its up to everyone if its ok. May be an even usable MC stage is to produce in this price range. What I wanted to write is that an "ok" stage will not meet the likes of many more serious turntable friends. It is an advertising gimmick and an additional number in the specs. Still thinking the final price will stay ≈ 500. Even the WiiMs are no magicians.
And, by the way, to call a pre with two R, two C and two gain positions "full" range is nonsense.
Anyway, it will not become a big issue. The number of MC users running carts via an Ultra will remain negligible. Quite sure. Wait and see.

"Excellence" is always a question of definition ;-)
Quite sure it will work. Its up to everyone if its ok. May be an even usable MC stage is to produce in this price range. What I wanted to write is that an "ok" stage will not meet the likes of many more serious turntable friends. It is an advertising gimmick and an additional number in the specs. Still thinking the final price will stay ≈ 500. Even the WiiMs are no magicians.
And, by the way, to call a pre with two R, two C and two gain positions "full" range is nonsense.
Anyway, it will not become a big issue. The number of MC users running carts via an Ultra will remain negligible. Quite sure. Wait and see.
Surely, in this third decade of the 21st century, a key driver for any network streamer is the provision of major music streaming services, rather than enabling old technology such as the gramophone 😁😜

Surely, in this third decade of the 21st century, a key driver for any network streamer is the provision of major music streaming services, rather than enabling old technology such as the gramophone 😁😜
But we are the guys with the full wallets. So let us our toys.

Back